Do you guys have any ideas of a distortion petal that might sound like the one used to in Guns N' Roses "Civil War"??

Also does Slash use any other pedals in the song besides a wah and distortion?

Thanks
First things first........what amp are you using? That is the most important point here for giving you a recommendation on a GNR tone.

EDIT: Also budget and the guitar you are currently using would help aswell.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
First things first........what amp are you using? That is the most important point here for giving you a recommendation on a GNR tone.

EDIT: Also budget and the guitar you are currently using would help aswell.

I have a Spider III, I know it sucks.

Anyways, isn't it the pedal that will effect the tone???
Your amp is responsible for 70%-85% of your overall tone. So my advice aswell as what I expect most peoples advice to be. Is save for a new amp (tube). A distortion pedal is just a quick fix, in the long run a better amp is the right choice.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
no no no, it's the amp more so.

you need an amp w/ a marshall-esque crunch and distortion. slash doesn't use any distortion pedals or OD, i think just an EQ for boosts maybe...

Line 6 is a modeller and therefore would not take any OD or Dist. pedal kindly.

personally i'd either dial in a close preset on the amp, or work on gettin a new one that's tube. i know u prolly dont wanna hear that but it's definitely true. his tone is pure marshall bliss.

JCM800 would be ur best amp choice mind you. other than a Silver Jubilee running some BIG bucks.

as for EQ settings , mid or lower on bass, 4 o'clock mids, 2 or 3 o'clock treble. gain at about 3/4. that should help as a starting point, make sure it's on a marshall type setting tho!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
no no no, it's the amp more so.

you need an amp w/ a marshall-esque crunch and distortion. slash doesn't use any distortion pedals or OD, i think just an EQ for boosts maybe...

Line 6 is a ler and therefore would not take any OD or Dist. pedal kindly.

personally i'd either dial in a close preset on the amp, or work on gettin a new one that's tube. i know u prolly dont wanna hear that but it's definitely true. his tone is pure marshall bliss.

JCM800 would be ur best amp choice mind you. other than a Silver Jubilee running some BIG bucks.

as for EQ settings , mid or lower on bass, 4 o'clock mids, 2 or 3 o'clock treble. gain at about 3/4. that should help as a starting point, make sure it's on a marshall type setting tho!!!

sorry for changing topic off pedal but,

Are there any decent, affordable, Marshall amps that will give me that tone? I tried a marshall at guitar center and it sucked

Also, sorry for being a noob but what is a tube amp? Is it one of those amps that look like half an amp?
A tube amp is an amp that use tubes. They are kind of like lightbulbs in the back of the amp that shape the tone and power the amp instead of transistors like a regular amp. The tone is much nicer usually and is what you need for a professional sound most of the time.

Like said earlier, a JCM800 would be the best amp for Slash/classic rock/ early metal tone. Those are usually around $800 used for a combo i think. I can recommend a Crate V16 or Peavey Classic 30 for a cheap alternative. They won't sound perfect, but for around $300, they are pretty damn nice.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
A tube amp is an amp that use tubes. They are kind of like lightbulbs in the back of the amp that shape the tone and power the amp instead of transistors like a regular amp. The tone is much nicer usually and is what you need for a professional sound most of the time.

Like said earlier, a JCM800 would be the best amp for Slash/classic rock/ early metal tone. Those are usually around $800 used for a combo i think. I can recommend a Crate V16 or Peavey Classic 30 for a cheap alternative. They won't sound perfect, but for around $300, they are pretty damn nice.

I think the Crate sounds like my next amp =]
Quote by adam561
I think the Crate sounds like my next amp =]

that sounds like a bad idea.
Try the thing out first.
You're probably thinking of OMG $400 dollar halfstack w00t w00t!
Worse than your spider man.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=palomino
Those are really the only crate amps worth buying, excluding a couple more expensive ones.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Try the thing out first.
Those are really the only crate amps worth buying, excluding a couple more expensive ones.

I think he was talking about the V16 when he said "the Crate" since I mentioned it. It seems like a good choice for what he needs.
Well it depends what you mean by affordable. What kinda prices are we talking here?

I'd bet a trillion pounds that the Marshall you tried was an MG, if you stick around this forum long enough, you'll discover they are very ill-advised.

Basically there are Solid State (SS) amps, Hybrid (Solid State with one preamp tube), and All Tube (Tubes in preamp and power amp).
Just so you know. The preamp is what shapes your tone and the power amp sends it out of your speakers for face crushing solos etc.

SS amps basically have a load of circuit boards and transistors in them to create the sound, they are generally used as practice amps and beginner amps. They sound worse at high volumes than the lower volumes but usually effects built in to them like delay, reverb, flanger etc which is generally how they sell so many of them.
Whereas with tube amps the preamp creates the sound signal and then pushes that through the power tubes (in simple terms they are kinda like light bulbs) which then make the sound. Tubes generally have a much smoother sound to them than solid states, tube sound is the kind you'd recognise easiest with Hendrix or Clapton and the like. Really clear-cut and "punchy" (sorry I couldn't think of another word, I'm drunk). They sound best at high volumes when the tubes are being made to work hard, don't ask me why because this is about as far as my knowledge goes on amps but basically high volume on tube amps = very nice sound, high volume on solid state amps = not a very nice sound.
I've probably made some errors in there but like I said I'm drunk and maybe someone who isn't could correct anything that I've mis-interperated.

Btw, as for hybrids amps. They are plain and simply a marketing scam, hardly any better than solid state and usually with a bigger price tag.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think he was talking about the V16 when he said "the Crate" since I mentioned it. It seems like a good choice for what he needs.

yes, but i've seen a few too many noobs.
sometimes when people are like
"I Liek Slashs Tone It Is Awesome I Think I Want A New Distortion Pedal To Sound Like Slash!"
Then people are like
Dude whats your price range.
And then the noob is all like
"I Have About A Thousand Dollars That I Could Steal From My Parents!"
And then people are like
Dude get a JCM 800!
And the noob is like,
"Wow, I Saw This Really Cool Marshall On Musicians Friend, And It Even Has Effects On It!!!!
Here Check It Out, It Is Going To Sound So Sweet With My Boss Ds-1!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807
It Is Even A Half Stack! My Penis Is Definitely Going To Be Larger When I Get This!"

Seriously, im just warning the guy, before he makes countless others mistakes.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
yes, but i've seen a few too many noobs.
sometimes when people are like
"I Liek Slashs Tone It Is Awesome I Think I Want A New Distortion Pedal To Sound Like Slash!"
Then people are like
Dude whats your price range.
And then the noob is all like
"I Have About A Thousand Dollars That I Could Steal From My Parents!"
And then people are like
Dude get a JCM 800!
And the noob is like,
"Wow, I Saw This Really Cool Marshall On Musicians Friend, And It Even Has Effects On It!!!!
Here Check It Out, It Is Going To Sound So Sweet With My Boss Ds-1!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807
It Is Even A Half Stack! My Penis Is Definitely Going To Be Larger When I Get This!"

Seriously, im just warning the guy, before he makes countless others mistakes.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm just saying it seems like he was refering to the one I mentioned.

TS, please say you were talking about the amp I recommended, not some crappy halfstack Crate.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah I know what you mean. I'm just saying it seems like he was refering to the one I mentioned.

TS, please say you were talking about the amp I recommended, not some crappy halfstack Crate.

You crack me up.
Maybe next time i go to gc, ill have to try out another palomino, the only one i tried out sounded HORRIBLE!
I think it was broken, because it had no response, and the distortion was a giant fuzz
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769

You crack me up.
Maybe next time i go to gc, ill have to try out another palomino, the only one i tried out sounded HORRIBLE!
I think it was broken, because it had no response, and the distortion was a giant fuzz

I don't know what the problem could be, but mine is great. The only problem is that it doesn't have enough clean headroom for shows.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I don't know what the problem could be, but mine is great. The only problem is that it doesn't have enough clean headroom for shows.

Yeah, i that one was defective.
Because i went over by the crates like 30 minutes later, and there was a manager playing some penatonic stuff, totally rockin out on the head version, and it sounded pretty good.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Yeah, i that one was defective.
Because i went over by the crates like 30 minutes later, and there was a manager playing some penatonic stuff, totally rockin out on the head version, and it sounded pretty good.

Maybe you have tone sucking fingers? Ha just kidding but yeah they are great amps for what they cost.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Maybe you have tone sucking fingers? Ha just kidding but yeah they are great amps for what they cost.

Lol

One time some dude working there thought i was cool
He told me that he thought i was pretty good
But i think thats because I was playing rush, which just happened to be his favorite band.
And 80% of the people the go in there go to the solid state spyders and crates, and go play some power chords
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769

Lol

One time some dude working there thought i was cool
He told me that he thought i was pretty good
But i think thats because I was playing rush, which just happened to be his favorite band.
And 80% of the people the go in there go to the solid state spyders and crates, and go play some power chords

That happened to me but I was playing The Rover by Led Zeppelin and this guy came over and was saying how it sounded good. Then he went on about how I was playing wrong. I just wanted to tell him to shut up and go away even though he was a nice guy.

I'm going to hell
Quote by kool98769
Try the thing out first.

How would he switch between the clean parts and the distortion parts on Civil War with an amp like this? (I am also looking and I also like that song :P)
Dont forget that Slash uses his Pickups well as in switching between them for different parts etc.