I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo and I'm not that satisfied with it. I want something with more gain and more treble. I play mostly GNR and Pearl Jam. I was wondering if I should trade it in or sell it for a Peavey Valve King Combo. I can get the 100 watt version for the same price I'll be selling the Marshall for so I think I might do that. My friend has the Valve King stack and I love how it sounds, but I was wondering if this would be a good move?
Personally for GNR type stuff I'd check out a used JCM800, maybe an Orange Rocker 30. Both will get you that nice classic Slash type crunch. If you really like the Valveking then go for it, but just thought I'd give you some other options to look at.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That marshall is way better than the VK

If that VK was a 5150, yes.

but i like the DSL waaaayyyyyyy more than the VK
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by Roedy0309
I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo and I'm not that satisfied with it. I want something with more gain and more treble.

not trying to jack this post but do the JCM 2000 DSL 100 heads have more gain then the combo versions??? i play Slayer and well i NEED gain LOL, also treble is a big thing too since i DO NOT want a muddy bassy sounding head. it needs to be clear with high gain.
For Marshall to do Slayer your gonna need Emg pickups with maybe an afterburner, OD pedal, And a modified JCM 800 running the hotest tubes you can find... Then add in a 1960 cab and a really good eq setup.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
For Marshall to do Slayer your gonna need Emg pickups with maybe an afterburner, OD pedal, And a modified JCM 800 running the hotest tubes you can find... Then add in a 1960 cab and a really good eq setup.

who f*ck said anything bout slayer?
^^^

not trying to jack this post but do the JCM 2000 DSL 100 heads have more gain then the combo versions??? i play Slayer and well i NEED gain LOL, also treble is a big thing too since i DO NOT want a muddy bassy sounding head. it needs to be clear with high gain.

"Roedy0309"
Please learn to read before you mouth off next time!
Quote by IbanezPsycho

well i got the EMG`s with a PA/2 gain booster so i`m good there, and trust me i want want WANT a JCM8002203KK, *drool* can we say DREAM HEAD LOL.

i figured a JCM 2000 would be good though, maybe with a OD pedal and the same tubes that the JCM8002203KK uses????? i`m not rich and buying this JCM2000 head is gonna break the bank for sure. and the JCM2203KK is twice the price , so i`m just gonna have to keep dreaming.... i`ll shut up now and let the TS have his thread back
Last edited by Slayerdeath at Feb 14, 2008,
Sounds like your on your way, and yea even i have thought about that Kerry King head once or twice myself. I think if i got any marshall for high gain that would be it..

And OD pedal should get you close enough. And hotter tubes mean they burn out quicker so i would stay away from them for a bit until you see what that rig is capable of...
>.<

dont trade it for a ValveKing! as much as i love VK's, i'd take a real Marshall any day.

try out some OD pedals, or distortion pedals. maybe a tube swap? pickup swap?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by Roedy0309
I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 combo and I'm not that satisfied with it. I want something with more gain and more treble. I play mostly GNR and Pearl Jam. I was wondering if I should trade it in or sell it for a Peavey Valve King Combo. I can get the 100 watt version for the same price I'll be selling the Marshall for so I think I might do that. My friend has the Valve King stack and I love how it sounds, but I was wondering if this would be a good move?

To up the Jcm run a OD Pedal and Emg Pickups and get an EQ. But your looking at another 3 to 400 bucks just to make it have more gain... So its your call, i own a valveking and as long as you stay in the rock and roll section with a touch of metal your good to go. Slash's tone might not be as good on it because its American Voiced but its till got plenty of gain to go around...
peavey windsor if you don't mind one channel jmc 800 on roids
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by IbanezPsycho
^^^

"Roedy0309"
Please learn to read before you mouth off next time!

maybe this wouldnt happen if you didnt jack others threads, its not that hard to start your own

try that one next time
The DSL401 uses EL84's and thus sounds a good bit different than what most people think a Marshall should sound like. It's kind of a love/hate amp. I had one for a few months and wasn't satisfied either. Personally I'd take a VK over a DSL401 any day, but it's all personal preference.

I think most people who claim to love the DSL401 instead love the EL34 powered DSL50's and DSL100's and simply presume that the EL84 powered DSL401 will sound like a small version of those. It really does not.

A Traynor YCV50BLUE might be right up your alley.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Roedy0309
maybe this wouldnt happen if you didnt jack others threads, its not that hard to start your own

try that one next time

Slayerdeath tried to hijack the thread, not Ibanez Psycho. Get your eyes checked?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Maybe swap the speaker? I've always heard people say that the speaker in the 401 isn't all that good.
Check out the Peavey Windsor. Got that signature british voicing, and its alot hotter. I have mine rigged up with a TS9 and I get some super saturation and gain. LOVE IT!
Quote by aznrockerdude
Slayerdeath tried to hijack the thread, not Ibanez Psycho. Get your eyes checked?

Thank you aznrockerdude....

And to "Roedy0309"
Again! Please learn to read before you mouth off next time! I can’t stress it enough; the inability to read will not get you very far in life and it is a necessary skill in today’s world. Please visit your local library…
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thank you aznrockerdude....

And to "Roedy0309"
Again! Please learn to read before you mouth off next time! I can’t stress it enough; the inability to read will not get you very far in life and it is a necessary skill in today’s world. Please visit your local library…

Thats pretty funny...

goodjob Psycho