So, I've been wondering....

I have a Boss Metalzone (don't even know why I bought it, I play classic rock ).

It hardly ever gets used, and I noticed that lately I have acquired the need for a boost pedal.

Is there a way to turn my Metalzone into a clean boost (just volume) by disconnecting the other pots (the so-called EQ and Distrotion)? Or is there much more involved here?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
you could just flat the EQ and turn the distortion down...
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
I tried that.

It sounded muddy beyond belief...

I was just thinking that taking them all out of play and only leaving the Level pot still connected would make it a boost.

EDIT: Wait, n00b alert!!!!! Flat EQ - all knobs on 0 or all at 12? Can't remember...
--

--
all pots at halfway

EDIT: all pots at the same spot as each other would work too. I suppose if they were all at 12 it would give you more volume.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
twelve o'clock!

all the way down cuts everything. that will give you super muddy.

:[edit]: you could turn the gain knob up just a wee bit, as well as your mids (maybe treble too?) to cut through the mix a little bit while its on. just a suggestion.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
*glances at avatar*

Wow. A Wildebeast? Really? That is impressive sir....

And yeah, I'll try that. Thanks guys...
--

--
:edit:

nevermind. i'm stupid.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
No problem. Happens to all of us

It's not so much cutting through the mix that I need....

Its just that the EQ (yeah, like you could call it one.... ), no matter what knob you turn, makes everything sound either sharp, muddy, or really, well, metallic.

What I want to know is if there is a way to completely disable all of the pots except for level, so that instead of being a distortion pedal, it is a boost pedal with absolutely no gain associated to it at all.

I was thinking just taking the wires off of the other pots. Would that take them out of play, but still allow the pedal to function (i.e signal still goes through, but Level is the only knob that actually does anything).
--

--
Taking the pots out would effectively make it just as bad, if not worse, than having everything cranked on it. They are there to cut the signal down, they don't directly amplify or distort the signal. If you would go all the way to modding your pedal to do that stuff, you would probably just be better off making a cheap clean boost pedal.
I think GGG is having a sale on boost pedal kits this month too btw.
Quote by Axecutioner
Taking the pots out would effectively make it just as bad, if not worse, than having everything cranked on it. They are there to cut the signal down, they don't directly amplify or distort the signal. If you would go all the way to modding your pedal to do that stuff, you would probably just be better off making a cheap clean boost pedal.
I think GGG is having a sale on boost pedal kits this month too btw.

Okay, thanks man.

That kinda sucks.... oh well. I can always sell it (way too much distortion).

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the help!
--

--
you need to bypass the clipping section/clipping diodes. Where they are in a metalzone, however, I don't know. A more experienced electronics guy on here will be able to point the diodes out for you with a schematic, though. (kurtlives91, ECistheBest, s.r.v, anyone else who spends most of their time in the pedal modding thread...) I could probably locate them in a schematic, but I'd leave it to someone who knows what they're talking about a bit more..
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=138 Schem....even though it doesn't have part numbers it's easy to follow.

Find the two 1N4148 clipping diodes going to the ground. (you could replace these diodes with germanium's for less gain).Anyways find these two diodes and remove them. Replace them with a jumper wire. Try that for a clean boost. I have never tried this but just looking at the schem I would imagine it would work.
taking out the whole thing and sticking in a mosfet booster. BOOOM 35dB of clean gain!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Damn. 35dB?

That I will definately be looking at....

EDIT: And thanks for the diagram, kurtlives!
--

--
*gasp*

EC....

You are my hero.
--

--
Quote by kurtlives91
I would try my idea first...

Lol, yeah I'm going to try yours first.

Then, if that doesn't work out, maybe I'll try EC's.

Again, thanks guys!

EDIT: Yeah, I know I did....

My interent weirded out for a minute and double posted without me realising it.
--

--