Page 1 of 2
I have a Peavey VK 212, as stated in the title. Right now the gain on it is pretty good, but I want more. The gain sounds really low and doesn't really meet all my expectations. Right now all I have is a Digitech RP90 hooked up to it and it's pretty good.

So here's my question, what can I do to get some better gains out of it. I play Metal and stuff like that, something that needs wicked Distortion. I know changing the Tubes and Speaker would help, anything else? Any kind of pedals?
Try these pedals:
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS808
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
Maxon OD808
Maxon OD9
DOD Overdrive
Quote by cedaguol
Try these pedals:
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
Maxon OD808
Maxon OD9
DOD Overdrive

How does the Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer compare to those? Since it's cheaper, haha.

What kind of difference does a OD/Tubescreamer pedal put out compared to just a Digitech FX Pedal?
Quote by Phry
How does the Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer compare to those? Since it's cheaper, haha.

What kind of difference does a OD/Tubescreamer pedal put out compared to just a Digitech FX Pedal?

If you can mod the TS7 by yourself, it would definatly be great.
Quote by cedaguol
Try these pedals:
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9
Maxon OD808
Maxon OD9
DOD Overdrive

+1 to all but the DOD.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer

overdrives are used to boost your amps gain. you use the OD to enhance the distortion that is already on the amp so you use a combination between both distortions.

the distortion included in digitech multi effect pedals are used through the clean channel of the amp, so the pedal is the only one providing the distortion. amp gain is not used at all

basically ODs will give you a more natural sound and the fx pedal will give you a little more "digital" sound
Quote by cedaguol
overdrives are used to boost your amps gain. you use the OD to enhance the distortion that is already on the amp so you use a combination between both distortions.

the distortion included in digitech multi effect pedals are used through the clean channel of the amp, so the pedal is the only one providing the distortion. amp gain is not used at all

basically ODs will give you a more natural sound and the fx pedal will give you a little more "digital" sound

Oh, so you can use the Stomp pedals through the lead channel instead of clean huh. I have a Distortion pedal somewhere, but I think I lost it. Been a long long time since I used that one.

Hmm, Hundred bucks plus for the pedal. Would that be the best choice to improve the sound as of now? Better than the speaker/tube swaps? For the price that is.
Distortion pedals are for clean channels, OD's are for Tube gain channels but can go in clean as well...

Distortion + Gain channel = Can of bee's and a tone of feedback and noise..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 14, 2008,
Quote by Phry
Oh, so you can use the Stomp pedals through the lead channel instead of clean huh. I have a Distortion pedal somewhere, but I think I lost it. Been a long long time since I used that one.

Hmm, Hundred bucks plus for the pedal. Would that be the best choice to improve the sound as of now? Better than the speaker/tube swaps? For the price that is.

nope... distortion pedals also go on the clean channel... keep in mind that OD pedals and distortion are not the same

dist pedals go on the clean channel just as your digitech
od pedals go on the gain channel
Quote by zoomzilla
+1 to all but the DOD.

Dods are awsome man, cheap good pedals, just a bit on the noisey side
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by cedaguol
nope... distortion pedals also go on the clean channel... keep in mind that OD pedals and distortion are not the same

dist pedals go on the clean channel just as your digitech
od pedals go on the gain channel

Well right now I use my Digitech distortion fx for my clean channel. But I also use it on my Lead channel but only use for the EQ and compression features. So I'm guessing I'd be able to use the OD and digitech together? Or I guess I'd have to fork out an extra hundred each for an EQ and Noise suppressor, haha.

But Overdrive and Tubescreamers are the same? Or not.
Tubescreamers are a type of overdrive. They are famous for their mid hump while overdrives of other types can be voiced completely differently. It is all preference so you would need to try some out to see which would work best with your rig.
Quote by Aus-10
Would a tubescreamer, as an OD pedal, sound too "artificial"?

Id still get a sweet tube tone, right?

Yeah, tubescreamers are mainly used on a tube amps dirty channel with the pedal voume high and the drive low to push the tubes harder. Very sweet tube tone.
Quote by Aus-10
Would a tubescreamer, as an OD pedal, sound too "artificial"?

Id still get a sweet tube tone, right?

Tube screamer enhances the tube tone it doesnt sound artifical or really even color your tone. Mainly tightens and boosts... Normal setting is drive 0-3 level 10 and tone 5 or were ever you want it.
But would it sound too "artificial"?

And on a VK, id just... set it up i guess to not affect the cleans.

Is there a lot of headroom on the VK cleans, btw?

I was thinking 5150 II, not tried it though... I HAVE tried an XXX... But im not ruling out the VK
Quote by Aus-10
But would it sound too "artificial"?

And on a VK, id just... set it up i guess to not affect the cleans.

Is there a lot of headroom on the VK cleans, btw?

I was thinking 5150 II, not tried it though... I HAVE tried an XXX... But im not ruling out the VK

The 5150 is great for high gain stuff, but the cleans are barely useable, if at all.

And no, it wouldn't make a tube amp sound artificial.
By the time id do all these tube/speaker/pedal upgrades to a VK, i couldve bought a better amp in the first place, right?

And thats why i was mentioning a 5150 II; separate EQ, better cleans, still high gain.

Cause i have to crank the gain on a VK that ive tried in a shop. I wouldnt HAVE to, but i did.

And ive heard it muddies up at loud volumes...
Quote by sirlimecat
Dods are awsome man, cheap good pedals, just a bit on the noisey side

Plus one. I have the YJM308 one, but I modded it to vintage grey 250 specs.
Now it comes dangerously close to taking over my (expertly) modded tubescreamer's spot. Plus, they're cheap, and built like bricks.

Anyways, i'd recommend a good overdrive for your VK. A tubescreamer (TS7's are so-so stock, but come alive when modded, especially by a pro). Mine was modded by someone on Ebay. It's like an instant boost of awesome in just a stomp!
And although I love my DOD, I don't like it in my gain channel (well, not as much as my tubescreamer). I love it on my clean channel though.
So, look into a TS7 and spend the necessary time and cash (it's not too much cash) to mod it.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Kind of a random question here, but yet kinda still on topic...

Is there a way to get rid of the slight buzzing noise on the amp when using high Gain? It buzzes when the volume is all the way down on the guitar.
Noise gate! The ISP decimator is the best one out there. I have one and it kills all sounds without killing tone. You will get a slight hiss when you have your amp cranked, but nothing will get rid of that! But no feedback or white noise with the noise gate
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Aus-10
By the time id do all these tube/speaker/pedal upgrades to a VK, i couldve bought a better amp in the first place, right?

And thats why i was mentioning a 5150 II; separate EQ, better cleans, still high gain.

Cause i have to crank the gain on a VK that ive tried in a shop. I wouldnt HAVE to, but i did.

I don't know about that. THe 5150's clean is meh, while the VK's was pretty good IMO.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I don't know about that. THe 5150's clean is meh, while the VK's was pretty good IMO.

Better cleans as in > than the original 5150.

For high gain stuff, it seems like thatd be good, and id have to have all this additional stuff to deal with for the VK, which costs even more $$$
we have a lot in common Ibanez. Don't know if you realized that or not, but we rarely disagree on stuff.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Aus-10

With the 5150 II your still gonna need a OD pedal to tighten up the low end. So the only difference is the speaker, and your gonna have to get a used 5150 II which means your gonna have to change the tubes on it as well. So you basically are buying yourself a high dollar Valveking...
Comment from a different post...

"Lynchworm

Location: Michigan,USA I just dropped the Celestion g12T-100 into my Valveking 112 and I love it!!! It was exactly what I wanted. It has a very tight low end with AMAZING HARMONICS! It is a very clear speaker and does not have overpowering mids. I like mids but I prefer to dial them in on the amp. Anyway, if anyone is looking for a clear speaker with a hint of grit and the qualities i mentioned above, try it out. I got mine for 67.00 shipped @avatarspeakers.com
Keep in mind that this is after trying the Vintage 30 and a Jensen Mod speaker. This speaker is not broken in yet either. Anyway, just thought I would share that. "
Quote by Aus-10

I can't believe nobody here has mentioned the Digitech Bad Monkey OD pedal. It is a nice od pedal for 50.00 roughly. I would reccomend the speaker change and the od pedal and then see where you are at. I get some great sounds with that pedal and the Valveking btw. This amp sounds very good to me after the mods and I am pretty picky. I bought this amp used knowing I was going to make these changes. I accepted the fact that the valveking was a good amp and had potential. The other amps mentioned are good amps so just go with what will ultimately work best for you. If you can accept the fact that the Valveking may or need a mod or two, then go for it.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
I don't know how the bad monkey sounds on your amp, but it would not sound good at all on mine. Maybe it works well with the VK.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I mean i have tried a valveking, but not a 5150 II... So i at least can hear what it sounds like through my guitar at lower volumes in a music store./

Ive also tried a XXX...

Does the whole 'made in korea' or wherever still matter as much for amps, as it does with guitars?

And note i have an ibanez rg2570e
I don't think it matters that much with guitars anymore. Have you seen the Fujien factory video on youtube? If you haven't you should watch it. It's amazing how anal they are with their guitars. I cannot say the same about Gibby as of late.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
I don't know how the bad monkey sounds on your amp, but it would not sound good at all on mine. Maybe it works well with the VK.

It sounds great on my amp. What kind of amp do you have?
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
I lost my post due to my computer ahh

Anyhow...

New speakers, 50 each?
od pedal, up to 100
new tubes, 60-70?

So around $220 at a higher range for upgrades... Definitely done over time.

Hmm. I didnt give the tubes a lot of time to warm up in the shop, so that may be why at first i heard a crackling sound.

I dont NEED an amp right now, as im not yet gigging really with a group, just setting things up. Even then, i could borrow amps...

I dont know. ahh.
Quote by Lynchworm
It sounds great on my amp. What kind of amp do you have?

Mesa Dual Rec
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I actually had a chance to play a bad monkey the other day, see what all the fuss is about.
It's quite good, excellent for the price. It's very adjustable and has great tone. Not as good as my modded tubescreamer, but I have yet to find an overdrive that I like better. Unless I can magically find a butler tube driver .
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The VK has more than enough gain available for any kind of music. Hell I play hard rock/metal
and I dont even use the gain boost.

If you add any more to what it has its going to sound sloppy, undefined, muddy...and SLOPPY.

I keep telling people: MORE GAIN is not always the answer.
Mainly because gain only goes so far, anything over a certain point and youre just adding fizz and fuzz and its just one big sloppy mess.

Do what you want, but I would suggest maybe cleaning up your playing or something instead of hiding mistakes behind distortion.
Page 1 of 2