I'm doing a research paper on this and it would be neat to have some ideas from other people. If you want me to use your name (real name) in the bibliography should I decide to quote you then just let me know. So the topic is...What makes the human mind psychologically capable of personal preference. For instant what is it that determines what you like/dislike (eg music, food, women/men, methods of getting around, political preferance, etc). I know that this is not an easy subject and there are really no right or wrong answers, only opinions. Any ideas?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
isnt that your job to tell me- Joey Costello (thats a winner)
There are probably 2 factors.

1) Your unique combination of the 30000 genes in the human genome which affects things like how your brain interprits external stimuli etc

2) The Environment in which you exist which provides you with external stimuli.
Quote by freedoms_stain

1) Your unique combination of the 30000 genes in the human genome which affects things like how your brain interprits external stimuli etc

+1

Nature and Nurture
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Quote by freedoms_stain

win.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
My nipples. WHAT ARE THEY FOR?!?!?!?!
Quote by nick dixon
Put your penis in a raging hot fire, that should melt the bottle off
Quote by Leonheart
4e574e57363g, despite your first post on a thread almost always being PWNT you kickass.
Isn't it the way you adapt to your environment? You inherit characteristics from those you grow up with so I would assume that your likes and dislikes would be based on their reactions to said things?
Quote by boreamor
Isn't it the way you adapt to your environment? You inherit characteristics from those you grow up with so I would assume that your likes and dislikes would be based on their reactions to said things?

i can't see how that's true..most teenagers are into things that there parents are not, even though they grow up around their parents.
Experience probably has a huge influence on preference.

If you decide to quote me I would like to be quoted as "unknown."
Oh and you have permission to twist my one sentence into whatever fits your need.
Quote by Spamwise
i can't see how that's true..most teenagers are into things that there parents are not, even though they grow up around their parents.

That could possibly be from adapting to the teenage "Rebel" mantra.
Quote by Ez0ph
+1

Nature and Nurture

Indeed, all I needed was 3 words and I wote a paragraph.

It's the scientist in me.
Quote by Spamwise

But alot of people also end up acting alot like their parents as they grow older, I think that is just a natural feeling to rebel.
Quote by boreamor
That could possibly be from adapting to the teenage "Rebel" mantra.

yeah that could be true..butr like with me I love heavy metal and my parents don't, but i'm nto doing it to rebel.

@kemp

yeah i guess
Environment is 90% of the game. Take a USA American family newborn baby and give/raise him in Mexico and he'll grow up speaking spanish.....ect. ect.

You can't Crave a Snickers Bar until you've had one.

Then I think genetics play a part too. If you're old enough to run this experiment I HIGHLY recommend you do it.

IMO at some point in your life you are almost an Identical Twin to your same sex parent..... IE if your a male you look EXACTLY like your father at some point in your lives.

Now if you comb through pictures you'll find a picture of your dad/mother that you would SWEAR is of yourself...... but it's them. Now your ages may be different..... IE you may look like you dad when he was 15 but you are 20 now.

But seriously..... get with Granny or whoever and flip through those family albums sometimes and you'll be amazed.

But then again you may not end up looking like your parents until you are 60 so........
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Quote by Spamwise
yeah that could be true..butr like with me I love heavy metal and my parents don't, but i'm nto doing it to rebel.

Well my side of the arguement is the "nurture" side of the Nature Vs. Nurture debate. But I just don't see how I have gene in me which gives me my music taste. It doesn't make sense.
Personal Preferance is leaned from childhood by those who brought you up. As a child, you are a blank canvas, painted on and developed by your parents, or your parental influences as you grow older. From then on, it's still mainly external stimulus, while it is much harder to change that once you are older.

Jason A.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by boreamor
Well my side of the arguement is the "nurture" side of the Nature Vs. Nurture debate. But I just don't see how I have gene in me which gives me my music taste. It doesn't make sense.

It's not a debate. They exist simultaneously, each has an impact on the other.
Quote by cashewchaching
Personal Preferance is leaned from childhood by those who brought you up. As a child, you are a blank canvas, painted on and developed by your parents, or your parental influences as you grow older. From then on, it's still mainly external stimulus, while it is much harder to change that once you are older.

Jason A.

win.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
But then again..... you can argue points of interest back and forth. But don't take this the wrong way but for the most part if you're still in your TEENS or early 20's/college age then you haven't really gotten to the Meat part of who you are yet.

15 years ago I would have spit at the idea of paying $1000 for Eagles concert tickets...... just wasn't my thing and I was into Nirvana, Testament, Death Angel, ect. ect.

Not anymore. I actually still respect that stuff and still have it in the collection but my tastes and preferences have changed.

Just like with guitar playing...... Tone versus Speed and Gain. You are continually adapting and growing at all times...... Maturity is a bitch.

One of these days you'll look foward to the News, newspapers, stock market..... ect. ect.

But bottom line is still that you are more than likely going to end up like your parents. Environment rules.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Well, everyone is different. The word "like" is used to describe things that make someone happy or give them pleasure, and dislike is the opposite (pain sadness etc.) So by those definitions you have like and dislike, some people, for instance, like hot and spicy foods. I do not like hot and spicy foods, i do not "like" the way they taste and feel in my mouth, they cause me discomfort. I "dislike" hot and spicy foods.
The human mind has evolved and is still evolving, the thought process of "like" and "dislike" are very very obtainable, even the most simple life forms know this concept. "like" and "dislike" can also be associated with pain and pleasure to. I remember my Bio teacher telling me that they put a bunch of monkeys in a cage and shocked them when they went to take bananas in the middle of the cage. They eventually associated that "when I go to get these bananas in this cage put in by that thing I will get shocked, I do not like being shocked, I will not get the bananas." The scientist put in a new monkey and the other monkey tried to go for the bananas, you know what the other group of monkeys that have been shocked did? They killed the new monkey because they learned that if you go for the bananas they would get shocked. So you can say the thought process of "like" and "dislike" is very common, not a very hard thing of obtaining. And of course it is very easy to see that some people like different things, *see my spicy food preference.*
So through "like" and "dislike" one can assume personal preference. For instance, I like to play music more so than play a sport. I can say this because A) I am to lazy to play one B) I am not good at sports and I don't like being embarrassed or C) I do not like kids on the sports teams.(This example is not really true). Regardless of A B C OR all of the above, even if I had one of the reasons, I would not enjoy sports. I would PREFER music over sports technically.

I hope these examples help, fascinating topic. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Tabula Rasa, John Locke's theory of everyone is born with a blank mind. I for one believes this, although we are born with some instincts, like burn is pain and you avoid pain. As a poster posted previously, you cannot crave a Snickers bar until you've had one. Although, when it comes to personal preference, I do believe you can prefer things that are entirely organic (spinach to carrots perhaps).

When it comes down to it, no one can really teach you how to like something, although, if you notice among the years, you may not have liked some food 20 years ago that you love now, that I believe is natural.

How does the giraffe know to eat the leaves on a tree? How does a seal know to eat fish? They just do...why is it any different with us?
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
You can look at it from a cognitive perspective (personal psychology built from past experiences). If you're born into a liberal family, chances are you'll turn out to be liberal since your family will mention the advantages of liberalism and the disadvantages of conservatism. A couple of the examples listed can be influenced by external forces. Food is probably the science of the individual, tolerance of spice or bitterness, taste buds and all that.

Stuff like that. Since people have different experiences, they have different tastes.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread