I am a beginning guitarist who is looking for a great guitar that is under $400. I recently purchased a Takamine gs330s from music123.com for $300. I think I may have rushed into my buying process after only playing this guitar once at GC. I do not have a musical ear, but i thought it sounded nice. I have already questioned returning it and exchanging for a different guitar. I would love to have a beautiful guitar that sounds equally as impressive, but I think that the gs330s is very plain. I personally think that black glossy guitars are nice, but a beautiful wood is fine by me. I would like a pickguard to protect my top from any erratic strumming. I was wondering if I should keep this guitar or exchange it for another guitar. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Huskyfan12 at Feb 14, 2008,
Washburn D30s or Yamaha FG730S is probably what you're looking for. Although I really like the tone of the Takamine when I played it, I just wasn't very fond of its look.
Last edited by MiraiLink at Feb 15, 2008,
In my opinion playability is the number one consideration for a beginner guitar. I just got a GS330s myself and prefer the satin finish to the Yamaha's super shiny finish.

You should definitely try out the Yamaha and Washburn if you are having second thoughts. I never found a Washburn to try out but the Yamaha 730s I tried out was set up higher and didn't sound as good in my opinion as the Takamine. If only the Taki came with dot inlays, however it might be better to learn to play without them, as they might become a crutch.

PS: I put a set of D'Addario EXP strings on my guitar, and damn does it sound great!
Ok thank you..the only problem is GC doesn't carry Washburns so I won't be able to try one the next time I visit. Has anyone tried the Dean Perfomer E or the Seagull S6?
Seagull S6 is an amazing guitar. If i had your price range, I would buy it without question. For me, there is no competition in that price range against a Seagull. The neck is a little wider than most guitars, which will be a little harder in the beginning, but once you get used to it, you will be able to play any guitar out there. Take a seriously good look at Seagull if you want a top notch quality guitar.
For me it was between a Seagull and my Martin, you can see which I picked. Might give the DX1 a shot also while you're there anyway. They can be had for 500$.
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Alvarez RD8C. Awesome.

Member of the No-Testicle Club! PM gangster-dolly to join!

Founder of the 'I'm Abstaining From Sex Until Marriage And Damn Proud Of It!' Club. PM me to join!
I'm pretty sure my next trip to GC is going to President's day to check out the deals..I'll make sure I try the Alvarez and the Martin.
do not bother with the martin at such a low price range. you're essentially buying drywall if you buy a HPL guitar.
Quote by captivate
do not bother with the martin at such a low price range. you're essentially buying drywall if you buy a HPL guitar.

To each his own. I personally love my "drywall" I'm playing on, sounded alot better than any of the others I tried at GC. Thanks, though.
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
what exactly is it you don't like about the guitar you have? you said you thought it sounded good.
yes, that is why I know thats only half of the guitar but its important to me because I won't be buying another guitar for awhile. But anyways, now I'm looking at the Seagull S6 and a Yamaha 730..I am able to tell from the pictures online that a Seagull has a somewhat darker finish on the top, but the pictures of the Yamaha make its top looks almost white. Does anyone have any pictures of their Yamaha or just better pictures that aren't stock photos?
the seagull s6 is darker on the top because it has a solid cedar top, just like the takamine. the yamaha looks white because it is a solid spruce top. spruce is just a lighter colored wood than cedar.

and for what it's worth... the way a guitar looks isn't half of the guitar... it's more like 1/10th of the guitar. tone is the important thing. personally i really like the way the gs330s guitars look anyway, but hey it's a matter of opinion.

are you going to be playing mostly with a pick and strumming or are you going to take up fingerstyle?
the fact that it's plain looking is why you may want to switch? that's understandable... but trust me, when you really get into playing guitar, it wont matter. you'll just have your eyes closed as you groove to your own music and listen to the sound. not look.

don't rely on how pictures of guitars look. my guitar's online picture makes it look very bright and vibrant(bright orangy red), but right now as it sits next to me, it looks brown because of the lighting. it only looks like how the picture looks when there's really bright lighting. don't rely on looks so much, you'll end up being disappointed.
I plan on playing mostly with a pick but if I find a good song with fingerstyle I'll do that too. Does anyone have any opinions about the Seagull S6 and the Yamaha FG730?
the seagull S6 is an amazing guitar and great for the price. sounds good, plays good, stays in tune well. try it and you'll know.
yeah... the yamaha fg730, the seagull s6, and the takamine gs330s are all great guitars!