i was just wondering if most people use a pedal or just the amp distortion, especially with tube amps like mesa/marshall.....and why you would use a pedal over the amps distortion
It depends on the amp and on how much you like the distortion on it.

I don't use one, rather I use an EQ pedal with a boost to bring out the treble in my gain channel more.
i shape my amps distortion with an EQ and if im feeling really ballsy i hit the TS-9 for a bit of a tighter sound. that means i have to hit the NS-2 and then my little brain can take no more.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
so amp with a overdrive makes sense, dist pedals for like a amp that doesnt have distortion
pedal for distortion. Start with a nice clean sound and build the distortion off of that base
depends on the amp... mines od sucked so i got a pedal, also their is a small difference between od and distortion. so to sum all this up it depends on what music genre you play and whether you like your amps od/dist or not
I'm playing on a non-tube amp so I need a pedal to get my desired crunch.....but I made a mistake and bought the Digitech Death Metal with no Gain nob....I still love how crunchy it is....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Feb 15, 2008,
i loved my lead channel's distortion on my crate. but the fender Frontman that i had i had to get a pedal. its Dist was too twangy.. so was the clean. i ended up with a digitech RP-300 to correct the twang.
Considering the amp I have (its in my sig) it doesnt have the greatest drive channel, you can get amazing bass and trebel on my amp, but getting a good (or little at all) amp distortion is tough to acheive. So I personaly prefer using pedal distortion. Like other people said though, it all depends on the amp.
I use a Boss OS-2 with the drive all the way off because I love the distortion out of my amp... have it set to "overdrive" side more than distortion. I don't like the mids on my amp, so I cut the mids down and use the pedal to "beef" up my overall sound, but yet have it cleaner sounding..... if that's understandable
http://bandmix.com/eyesoul/

EBMM EVH Amber Quilt
'99 Peavey Wolfgang Red Flame
Morley Bad Horsie
Boss OS-2
Line6 Flextone II
Line6 4X12
Mesa Boogie 4X12
I use a Ibanez SD 9 distortion pedal because I don't care for the distortion channel on my Peavey MX amp. I use a 1973 silverface Fender Super Reverb for cranked tube amp sound, (can't find a pedal that gets that sound, only a cranked tube amp will do it) but it's not full distortion, more like overdriven, sounds great though. The MX is really clean, I use the Ibanez pedal through the Super Reverb sometimes, but usually it's through the clean MX. (I use both amps onstage with an A/B switch so I get both really clean and el rauncho deluxe)

I also use a Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrive pedal, that gets the Super Reverb somewhere between cranked to 10 tube amp and outright distortion pedal. Hit a wild vibrato and it warbles like crazy, I love it...Don't need that earwax anyway...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I use four different tones, Clean Crunch Distortion and Overdrive. Clean Distortion and Overdrive I take from my amp (Peavey 6505+) and the Crunch I get from my Marshall Guv'nor pedal.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C