So my dad got 2 copies of the upgrade version of Windows Vista Home Premium from work. I'm gonna upgrade my computer now. But I need to know if I will have to back up all my music onto some discs... any help is appreciated.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
No, you shouldn't have to.

also inb4getamacomgimgay
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Yes definately.

The reason is, to get ANY SORT OF STABILITY from upgrading to vista, you want to completely erase/reformat your HD.
Also, do yourself a favor and stick with XP. I have vista and ive been regretting it ever since i got it. TRUST ME.

And BTW, it was a forced OS, i had no choice when i bought my comp. Also, i just got Ubuntu and have been loving every second of it.

Quote by FireandFlames
I would never go Vista until they released a Service Pack or two.

They did, made things worseLOL.
You should have 2 different OS' to boot from. Vista is awful if you want to do computer gaming.
D:
Signature.
hmm... maybe i'll wait then...
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
yeah vista isnt all that good unless you have an AMAZING super fast super graphical computer. All it is, its just XP but it looks prettyer
Quote by boreamor
UPRGRADING to Vista?

I believe the courteous thing do to here on the intarnetz is to say, "+1."

Might I suggest to the thread starter: discover the wonderful world of Linux?
Quote by guilty09
buy an Apple !! **** windows and microsoft

I hate Apple's OS. And don't say it's because I've never used it, I use it frequently. Everything feels far too simplified, like they think I'm an idiot.
D:
Signature.
Quote by guilty09

Just do yourself a favor TS, get a comp, reformat, then put a linux distro on it. I strongly suggest Ubuntu, its great for beginners.
dont Upgrade You Will Regret It!!!!!
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
Pathetic bandwagon riders.

Put your documents on an external hard drive. Format your internal hard drive. Install Vista. Don't use the upgrade option.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by MrGuitar123
Well don't do it unless you have a half decent computer. That is all I have to say.

Yeah, I'm not gonna. I have an HP Media Center... Not nearly good enough, it barely met the system requirements.

Oh and to all the people talking about linux and apple. First off my dad works at microsoft, and he would never allow linux on the family computer. second of all, I've tried linux and I couldn't stand it. third of all, I'll be getting a computer of my choice when I graduate from high school, probably a Mac with the emulator for windows on it.

Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Feb 14, 2008,
DONT upgrade to vista, if it can even be called an upgrade. I went from XP to OS X (apple), and its an amazing OS, much better than any PC i've ever used. I recommend you get Leopard, the new apple OS, so that you can have an apple OS, and then you can use boot camp to also boot up a Windows OS. greatest invention since the micro chip.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by zamok

couldnt have said it better myself.

Also, search google for Windows 7. Due for release in 2009...

(VIsta got the shaft quick, eh?)
OH GOD!!
DON'T DO IT!
My mom has vista...dual core processor, good graphics, plenty of ram....it takes about 5 minutes to boot up.
Grueling
Minutes.
Quote by zamok

That's a little much don't you think?

People have their own tastes in operating systems. I have Windows Vista on my laptop and I love it. I really don't see why people are so hell bent against it (and yes, I have heard the arguments, so don't try to point them out to me). It really depends on what you plan to do with your computer, and what you're comfortable with.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Quote by BlueOyster23
That's a little much don't you think?

People have their own tastes in operating systems. I have Windows Vista on my laptop and I love it. I really don't see why people are so hell bent against it (and yes, I have heard the arguments, so don't try to point them out to me). It really depends on what you plan to do with your computer, and what you're comfortable with.

My laptop has Vista and it is fine. I did have a bit of a problem at the start because of a bad update to my sound card, but after a reformat I haven't had a single problem yet.

My PC on the other hand (which was handed down from God to play PC games) is not getting Vista until XP is obsolete.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
My laptop has Vista and it is fine. I did have a bit of a problem at the start because of a bad update to my sound card, but after a reformat I haven't had a single problem yet.

My PC on the other hand (which was handed down from God to play PC games) is not getting Vista until XP is obsolete.

I think I'll plan on getting it on my laptop, when I get one. But the PC is gonna stay with XP for now. I'll wait till Windows 7 comes out... it looks pretty good.

My instincts tell me that 90% of the people in this thread saying that "Vista sucks" have never even touched the program. There's really nothing wrong with it, as long as your computer can handle it. It is much more stable than XP.

Quote by first_aid

Should we go back to when Vista was first announced? Sure, it wasn't called Vista back then, but it was set to be released originally in 2003. 2001 to 2003 is a shorter jump than 2006 to 2009. Idiot.

Seriously. You're all a bunch of ignorant pricks that have nothing better to do than jump on the bandwagon. Learn how to use your computer before you bash it.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
My instincts tell me that 90% of the people in this thread saying that "Vista sucks" have never even touched the program. There's really nothing wrong with it, as long as your computer can handle it. It is much more stable than XP.

Should we go back to when Vista was first announced? Sure, it wasn't called Vista back then, but it was set to be released originally in 2003. 2001 to 2003 is a shorter jump than 2006 to 2009. Idiot.

Seriously. You're all a bunch of ignorant pricks that have nothing better to do than jump on the bandwagon. Learn how to use your computer before you bash it.

Agreed.

Windows 7 is being developed as much more than a desktop operating system, it's unifying mobile/portable/desktop devices under one operating system rather than the spread now.

Vista is better than XP with no doubt at all.
Quote by shredder2be93
OH GOD!!
DON'T DO IT!
My mom has vista...dual core processor, good graphics, plenty of ram....it takes about 5 minutes to boot up.
Grueling
Minutes.

LOL WTF? Vista boots in less than a minute in my crappy old laptop with 512mb ram.

The problem isn't vista there.
Quote by first_aid

They did, made things worseLOL.

How so, considering every developer community I visit and MSDN Technet is full of praise for the enhancement SP1 has delivered?

Quote by Atomic48
You should have 2 different OS' to boot from. Vista is awful if you want to do computer gaming.

No it's not.

Quote by guilty09

Well done, you have made the most irrelevent post in the entire thread so far.

Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
yeah vista isnt all that good unless you have an AMAZING super fast super graphical computer. All it is, its just XP but it looks prettyer

You don't know what you are talking about.

Quote by muse-ik
DONT upgrade to vista, if it can even be called an upgrade. I went from XP to OS X (apple), and its an amazing OS, much better than any PC i've ever used. I recommend you get Leopard, the new apple OS, so that you can have an apple OS, and then you can use boot camp to also boot up a Windows OS. greatest invention since the micro chip.

Is this another "ditch your pc and get a mac" comment, or are you advocating breaking the terms and conditions of OSX Leopard by attempting to install this on a PC?

Quote by first_aid

So you're advocating leapfrogging one relatively new operating system to one that is not even in an Alpha stage which you know nothing about?
i'd say stick with XP.
vista just has too many problems.
or get OS X, i'm using it and haven't had a problem yet
but if you must upgrade to vista, you'd probably have to format your whole hard drive for any stability. or you could wait for microsoft to release a service pack or two.
Quote by Arism
vista just has too many problems.

Such as?

or get OS X, i'm using it and haven't had a problem yet

Good for you.

but if you must upgrade to vista, you'd probably have to format your whole hard drive for any stability.

This is the same for any upgrade, from Win 3.11 to Win 95 etc.

or you could wait for microsoft to release a service pack or two.

SP1 is available now.
Quote by anewhope
SP1 is available now.

Where can I find this? I am not a fan of Vista myself, and wish my laptop had XP... But I've been waiting for SP1 for a while now, hoping for some help with coping.
Quote by nx_911_turbo
Where can I find this? I am not a fan of Vista myself, and wish my laptop had XP... But I've been waiting for SP1 for a while now, hoping for some help with coping.

It is going to be deployed through WU end of Feb/March time as there are updates that are needed before SP1 can be installed to minimise the required restarts.

If you're desperate for it, you can find it hosted on some websites by searching for SP1 RTM.
Quote by Atomic48

No, it isn't. It consumes more system resources than XP (much in the same way that XP consumes more system resources than a DOS command font (DON'T UPGRADE TO XP!!!)), but criticizing an OS because you're too damn cheap to upgrade your three year old computer is moronic.

Vista works fine.

probably a Mac with the emulator for windows on it.

You're going to pay twice as much as a PC for a computer with equivalent specs...and install Windows on it?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 19, 2008,