I'm thinking of getting a multi-effects unit (I know single-effects pedals can be better, but I'm on a budget and I need several different effects) and I've narrowed it down to either the Zoom G7.1ut or the Boss ME-50.

I'm mostly looking for a unit that will go in front of my amp (although my Peavey Valveking Royal 8 doesn't have an effects loop), that can connect to a CD/mp3 player, and doesn't necessarily have to be modeling.

I'm interested in the Zoom G7 (the G9 is too expensive though) since it has a lot of overdrives and models that I've been looking for, and it has a tube for a warmer tone. While I'm not specifically looking for amp models (since I already have a Line6 POD and guitarport), being able to use them if I like will be a bonus. Or I can just use it for effects.

As for the ME-50, it has a lot of Boss pedals that I've been planning on buying, and I've heard good things about it.

Has anyone tried these two units? Which do you think has the better quality playing through a tube amp?
Last edited by Bling Dogg at Feb 14, 2008,
Ive used BOSS stompboxes like MetalZone,etc they sound great(analog)The one ur talking I think is Digital I dont knw if it sounds almost the same as analog.I own a Zoom and my friend owns a KORG w/c sounds better than ZOOM.Try to compare the difference b/w the two......or go for KORG
Quote by Dok Waw
Ive used BOSS stompboxes like MetalZone,etc they sound great(analog)The one ur talking I think is Digital I dont knw if it sounds almost the same as analog.I own a Zoom and my friend owns a KORG w/c sounds better than ZOOM.Try to compare the difference b/w the two......or go for KORG

Are Boss stomps analog? I always thought they were digital.

Don't buy the Zoom because it has a tube in it. It's still a digital pedal, the tube will only make a slight difference (if any). Having said that, if the G7.1ut is anything like my G2 then the effects are pretty good. The amp models on my Zoom suck, but they might be better on the G7.1ut.

The ME-50 is a nice pedal, the effects are great and the distortions are pretty decent. The patch system has a delay when changing patches but the stomp mode doesn't.

You should definitely try them out and see what you prefer.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
heres my opinion. Zoom effect suck balls, big fat sweaty hairy balls infact. Unless they have seriously improved recently id get the boss in a heartbeat.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Thanks for the suggestions.

Well I'll try to see if I can test them out. Any more replies will be welcome
Well I think I may be able to increase my budget to buy the G9.2tt instead.

How would the G9 compare to the Boss Me-50? I know the Zoom G9 is more like the Boss GT units, but I'm comparing the Me-50 instead because I need a unit that can connect to a CD/mp3 player.