Page 1 of 2
Should be. 15W of tube power is louder than you think. But you have to consider the speaker, the and the sensitivity rating.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Maybe but it depends on how much headroom you need. If its cranked it will be loud enough, but if you have to have really clear cleans and have to turn it down to get them, you might need something more more powerful.
Orange Tiny Terror...get one. Loud as hell. Class A wiring...makes all the difference.
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Blues Junior owned my drummer + bassist at about 11 o'clock on the volume dials with a bit of fuzz thrown in

Clean just past midnight cut through.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I have 18W of tube power and its easily loud enough for jamming with drummers and even small gigs are no problem. Larger venues just require a bit of micing.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
easily loud enough
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by beckyjc
Easily, in fact if youre just jamming in a garage you should still be getting cleans with it.

+1 This is why I may be already upgrading to the new 7w/15w Blackheart.
Quote by voodoochildsr22
Orange Tiny Terror...get one. Loud as hell. Class A wiring...makes all the difference.

Great amp...

But the "Class A wiring" makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, except as a marketing ploy. Like virtually all amps with more than one power tube, the Tiny Terror is actually a Class AB amp.

That said, 15W -in general- is plenty for jamming.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
with my blues junior, i found i needed to swap out the speaker, because at really high volumes, i was getting a lot of speaker rattle.

so yes, to add to to thread, i think that 15W tube amps can jam, but in my case at least, i felt it needed some help to sound good at higher levels.

higher volume, not needed with just a drummer or a guitar, but with a full band.

also, keep in mind, if there's a guy in ur band that likes to crank his amp or beat the hell out of his drums, you might find urself pushing that amp a bit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by voodoochildsr22

How much do you suppose a Tiny Terror is? Canadian or American dollars, doesn't matter.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
How much do you suppose a Tiny Terror is? Canadian or American dollars, doesn't matter.

New: $550
Used: Around $400
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by voodoochildsr22

actually class A makes the amp less efficient. class AB has more potential for putting out more wattage with the same number of tubes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
actually class A makes the amp less efficient. class AB has more potential for putting out more wattage with the same number of tubes.

Aye;

but then Class A puts out more harmonic distortion (usually) so they tend to be louder for the same wattage.

But the Tiny Terror is as Class A as the Blues Jr. IE it isn't.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The Tiny Terror is LOUD. Louder than a Blues Junior, I cranked both of them (with no gain to save my ears) and there was a noticeable difference.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
When it comes to 15 watt amps I think solid state just has better tone. The smaller amps and small volumes ive always liked the solid state better. When it comes to bigger amps I like tube amps of course. When I was looking for a new practice amp I tried out tube amps and solid state amps. I went with the Kustom 16 watt solid state and love it.
Quote by MrCarrot
Aye;

but then Class A puts out more harmonic distortion (usually) so they tend to be louder for the same wattage.

But the Tiny Terror is as Class A as the Blues Jr. IE it isn't.

Hey, you can get as technical about it as you want but the bottom line is...the Tiny Terror is easily one of the loudest 15 watt amps out there. Easily will be heard over a 30 watt SS. Whether it be Class A or AB...it's a killer amp that everyone should at least own at one point of their lives.

Go for the Tiny Terror.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by paranormal5150
When it comes to 15 watt amps I think solid state just has better tone. The smaller amps and small volumes ive always liked the solid state better. When it comes to bigger amps I like tube amps of course. When I was looking for a new practice amp I tried out tube amps and solid state amps. I went with the Kustom 16 watt solid state and love it.

He wants to jam, which would make a 15 watt tube amp perfect.
Quote by voodoochildsr22
the Tiny Terror is easily one of the loudest 15 watt amps out there. .

at about twice the price around here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
at about twice the price around here.

You can find them for around $400-$450 on craigslist....that's not bad at all.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
very few and far between and more like $500+
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
very few and far between and more like $500+

Nope...just got off the phone with a guy from Hartford, CT about a week ago. He was letting both of his go for $400 cash.

It's possible to find them for that price...you just have to keep your eyes peeled. You can find anything for an amazing price...just takes some time...trust me.

I bought a MIM Fender Telecaster Sunburst in perfect condition for $50 once...a few months back. Most of the stuff I bought was used and at a great price.

I also traded a $600 Macbook for a $2k guitar......it was the guy's idea...he was from RI and all he wanted was a computer.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by voodoochildsr22 at Feb 15, 2008,
i believe you bought one. but that's rare. ive been checking NY listings for about 4 months now.

even at that price, it's still a hundred more than a used Blues jr combo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i believe you bought one. but that's rare. ive been checking NY listings for about 4 months now.

even at that price, it's still a hundred more than a used Blues jr combo.

Never said I bought one...just said I inquired about one...I've played out of them a few times...

People are still learning about Orange amps...give it a few years. More people will buy them which will drop their price around here.

They sound better than a Blues Jr. to me and well worth the extra $.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by voodoochildsr22 at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by voodoochildsr22

They sound better than a Blues Jr. to me and well worth the extra $.

I agree, the BJ has no balls to it. Can a TT do SRV type sounds? I've only seen demos, where people only do hard rock.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I agree, the BJ has no balls to it. Can a TT do SRV type sounds? I've only seen demos, where people only do hard rock.

Oh yeah...with ease. I've seen a few people play SRV type stuff...as well as Jazzy types.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by classicrocker01

As a matter of fact...go to YouTube and type in "orange tiny terror". The first result that comes up should be a video of a black guy testing it out in a shop. Check out the sound of that one!
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by slatsmania
Great amp...

But the "Class A wiring" makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, except as a marketing ploy. Like virtually all amps with more than one power tube, the Tiny Terror is actually a Class AB amp.

That said, 15W -in general- is plenty for jamming.

For realz
Quote by classicrocker01
I agree, the BJ has no balls to it.

I'll concur, it is a very clean amp but the cleans are exemplary and it provides a great clean tone to use effects. Plus pushed with a Tubescreamer/Fuzz it sounds aweseome.

^^

Just thought i'd give you an option if the TT proves to be too expensive. TTs are very good though probably worth the money

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by classicrocker01
BJ no balls? have u turned up any of ur volume/master knobs past 7?
Quote by Madsalty
I'll concur, it is a very clean amp but the cleans are exemplary and it provides a great clean tone to use effects. Plus pushed with a Tubescreamer/Fuzz it sounds aweseome.
jesus christ. somebody hasn't experienced a full on blues jr. u should listen to my sound clip on my profile. 14 minutes of blues jr madness!@!@
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
jesus christ. somebody hasn't experienced a full on blues jr. u should listen to my sound clip on my profile. 14 minutes of blues jr madness!@!@

I seriously doubt they have. The kid who first mentioned the lack of balls doesn't even own anything remotely close to one.

I agree with the fact that Orange amps are much ballsier than the Blues Junior but the BJ can hold it's own when given the proper settings.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
eh i can't really be pushing on a blues jr... cuz mine's got new tubes and speaker swap, and it's even hot rodded.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
eh i can't really be pushing on a blues jr... cuz mine's got new tubes and speaker swap, and it's even hot rodded.

Exactly...Blues Jr. is great for cleaner tones though.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by ECistheBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrocker01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madsalty

HeHe, unfortunately i don't have the space or the place to really push mine (Kind of answers the question 15watt tube = loud enough). Hence the fact i have only experienced standalone - clean.

Plus it has both the stock speaker and tubes and i've had it for about a month

By the way i love it

ECistheBest: I have heard all of your sound clips and i'm a big fan. I really like the jam in C

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
No, I don't own a BJ, but my lead guitarist does and I've played on it some. Trebly as hell, bass is practicly nonexistant. why he bought it for metal is beyond me. btw, the TT is that loud because Orange rates their amps RMS clean.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by Madsalty
HeHe, unfortunately i don't have the space or the place to really push mine (Kind of answers the question 15watt tube = loud enough). Hence the fact i have only experienced standalone - clean.

Plus it has both the stock speaker and tubes and i've had it for about a month

By the way i love it

ECistheBest: I have heard all of your sound clips and i'm a big fan. I really like the jam in C

u can turn up the volume knob all the way, and then turn down the master volume to where you need it and you got a niiice overdrive right there...

and thanks.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
u can turn up the volume knob all the way, and then turn down the master volume to where you need it and you got a niiice overdrive right there...

and thanks.

Thanks for the tip but i've tried it and i only get a nice drive when i have the master volume at about 4 or 5 and tis a bit loud for my practicing situation

And no-probs, i really like your recordings. I was going to do a jam in A-minor but it is still a work in progress.

Quote by classicrocker01
No, I don't own a BJ, but my lead guitarist does and I've played on it some. Trebly as hell, bass is practicly nonexistant. why he bought it for metal is beyond me. btw, the TT is that loud because Orange rates their amps RMS clean.

Are you sure?? I find the bass rich and saturated for most situations, although i suppose for metal this isn't the greatest amp (is your lead guitarist bold & brave? or a little ill-informed?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
The reason Orange amps are usually louder than advertised is because they measure wattage by RMS Clean. Meaning the Tiny Terror can get to 15 watts before it starts to break up, so it's actually louder than 15 watts. So let's say the Tiny Terror breaks up with the volume at 11 o'clock (just an example, I'm not really sure about this), right when it starts to break up is 15 watts, so it could easily keep up with a 30 watt tube amp.

Oh, and this measurement is always done on the clean channel.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Page 1 of 2