Ok, so after much deliberation I would much rather make a PRS Single Cut than an Ibanez Iceman, although the iceman is quite the interesting guitar I think the prs is a much classier guitar that delivers the feel that I myself am looking for.

The plans for this build are as followed

Brazilian Mahogany body- Has been changed to african mahogany
Flamed Maple top
Rosewood fretboard
Maple Neck with walnut strip down center

The guitar is going to hopefully be a satin finish in the color of a bright vibrant blue with all gold hardware. The maple top is going to be figured and carved down to contour beautifuly with the body. The only thing I am having troubles with wether or not it should be a set in neck, or a bolt on neck, and how to attach the maple top without getting any dry spots.

The template will be the picture as followed.

If anyone could answer the questions mentioned earlier in the thread I would be super stoked, I have been reading and pondering for awhile, unfortunately I do not have a vacuum press, or a hydraulic press near by, but I do have a bunch of clamps, please help a brother out!

PLEASE HELP OUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS BUILD!
In order for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing...
Last edited by GreenTuna at Feb 15, 2008,
Are you actually going to make the neck?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Yes sir, it is going to be a neck blank purchased probably from stewmac and then i will carve it down to specifications. The finger board will be purchased with the fret slots pre cut and then i will just install the frets on my own.
It was done blindly with a refernce image why?

I am going to my local store tomorrow to get measurements of a prs single cut, in exact dimensions of pick up spacing, bridge to pickup spacing, knobs, etc etc etc.

I also just found out today that flamed maple tops have to be laminated because coming across a 2 foot wide piece of flamed maple is damn near impossible. So I have to laminate that together, cut out the body, then start sanding her down, I am going to be making the 3/4 of an inch thick and the mahogany body will be 1 inch thick, so the total guitar will be 1 3/4 for those who can not do math. The wood I ended up choosing is african mahogany, I chose this because Real Mahogany was not available, any problems with African Mahogany?

The Neck is starting to come up into design, it is going to be a 3 piece neck, the wood configuration will go maple walnut maple, using walnut as a nice sturdy center piece, if anyone has a better recommendation other than walnut, please do let me know, I have access to some fairly exotic woods.

Cheers

GreenTuna
im guessing you've seen the PRS from the private stock on the PRS website ?

theres one guitar with a 1 piece flame top and its gorgeous, i can only ever dream of owning something like that.

ill be following this for sure, PRS is on my list of things to build lol.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
to glue the maple top on i always used to use hand screw clamps and weight (this was a very time consuming process, and a process that was hard to get right.) now, I simply pop the guitar in my vacuum press
hey carousel are you in buesness selling guitars now ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
kinda sorta. I plan on doing a few over the summer but until then I'm only doing the one strat thats in progress now (haven't done much recently, and maybe one more if I have the time.)

EDIT:Actually you haven't seen that yet I'll put a thread up later.
Hey guys thanks so much for all the support here!

Since it is my first guitar I want it to be what I want. I figured if I am spending the money why not be able to create something that I want.

admbwr, yes that private stock could very well be the most gorgeous guitar I have ever seen, I have always gazed at PRS guitars and I figured hell, lets build one!

Carouel, where did you get your vacuum press and how much was it. The thing is if it was really expensive I won't justify it for just one guitar, I mean watching gibson tour factorys and things, they don't even use a vacuum press they wrap them up. Even if it is a lengthy process I am more than willing to do it, I have until July to finish this guitar, and that is MORE than enough time.

Thanks again for all the support, updates will follow! I am going to get the measurements from my local Long and McQuade tomorrow for spacings, and then to "Windsor" plywood to hopefully grab some figured/flamed maple.
Quote by GreenTuna

admbwr, yes that private stock could very well be the most gorgeous guitar I have ever seen, I have always gazed at PRS guitars and I figured hell, lets build one!

i share the pain lol
i've kinda been thinking recently about looking into building a PRS 7 string, so ill definatly be following this, it looks awsome, how about buying some plans for this thing ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
i think you should go for the bolton neck if you ask me. looks like its gonna be good man
admbwr

Once the guitar is done I will for sure give you a copy of the template, I don't want you to pay for it man just pm the address and when I get sometime I wil f'sho hit you up a template.

The guitar is going to come out good I hope, I plan on using as much time as possible to carve out the maple top.

Some quick questions....

Is walnut going to be good for a center piece of the three piece neck?

Is 1 inch thick mahogany and a 3/4 inch maple top sound good inregards to thickness

Is african mahogany a good choice of wood or should I use Sapelle?
Thanks alot man, you're a big help.

walnut should be okay, ive seen it used on guitars before.

yeah the 1 inch mahogany and three quarter top is fine, thats generally how thick guitars are, unless prs are 2".

im not sure about the mahogany, i think africans the nice one .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by GreenTuna
Is walnut going to be good for a center piece of the three piece neck?

Is 1 inch thick mahogany and a 3/4 inch maple top sound good inregards to thickness

Is african mahogany a good choice of wood or should I use Sapelle?

Walnut is fine for a neck, Ibanez use it

Alot of guitars are 1 3/4 inch thick total so again fine.

And mahogany a good choice of wood depends on your sound and weight choice, but again a fine guitar building wood

So yes too all 3 lol

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Sweet thanks again guys.

I have a week away from the woods shop and I am awaiting for the wood to arrive I am going crazy without being able to goto the class and design and build it, I will substitute with video games, and awkward sleeping patterns, then next monday back to the drawing board, I should be able to have my woods and stuff, I will be making a rough wood template out of pine or some **** wood before I actually do the cut on the mahogany just so I can make sure it does not look like quazi moto strapped to my side.

Cheers!

GreenTuna
updates
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL