ok ppl, i have never been outside my country so i have like this vision of what the developed world is like(USA, Europe, Australia).. granted that most of my impressions come from TV shows and movies and of course, the news.

Seems to me the major difference between the cultures of a developed nation and a developing nation is the liberty provided. They seem to accept individuality, not frowning on people who want to express themselves in an weird way. For example, something simple like a strange hair style will definitely get you in trouble where I live.

Coming to the education system, once again there is freedom to chose a vocation of your choice however obscure. Importance is given to variety and any career path seems to acceptable and profitable.. Not so here where the norm is to be an engineer, doctor, lawyer etc..

In a developing country, the gap between the rich and poor is vast. thus yoiu can afford to get cheap labour and thus enjoy a comfortable living style provided you have the money. I guess 'self - service' is the norm elsewhere. It could be a good thing or a bad thing..

Anyways, thats all I got
ITS NOT RAPE ITS SURPRISE SEX!!
Club Member #4
PM me or jay2k2jay to join
this might seem hypercritical off me but from my impressions on tv developing countries well some of thm seem more religious then say the uk where im from. and how you dress act over here is really stereotyped too its like chavs emos grungers skaters all like that
The gap between rich and poor is vast in the United States as well.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Mate I can see where you're coming from, but developed countries have their problems aswell. Australia (where I live) has their trouble with the health system, It is getting near impossible to own your own home, and while you do have a choice in regards to education, university fees, price of text books etc are putting younger people in debt. America has it's fair share aswell, with laws allowing citizens to carry weapons, allowing madmen to go on rampages, their healthcare system is in serious need of attention, and yet developed, there is still racial differences between white and african americans. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. All I am trying to say is that wherever you go you will have problems. No place is perfect. It is up to you to overlook the negatives and get on with your own life
The gap between rich and poor here (United States) is incredibly large as well. Top 1% own 40% of wealth, top 10% own 60% of wealth. Maybe our poor aren't as poor still so its not as obvious I dunno. Our liberties are shrinking too, but eh i shouldn't complain.

Edit: Damn i type slow
Quote by frethead
Mate I can see where you're coming from, but developed countries have their problems aswell. Australia (where I live) has their trouble with the health system, It is getting near impossible to own your own home, and while you do have a choice in regards to education, university fees, price of text books etc are putting younger people in debt. America has it's fair share aswell, with laws allowing citizens to carry weapons, allowing madmen to go on rampages, their healthcare system is in serious need of attention, and yet developed, there is still racial differences between white and african americans. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. All I am trying to say is that wherever you go you will have problems. No place is perfect. It is up to you to overlook the negatives and get on with your own life

Yeah my mathbook was like 80 bucks. They charge you 40 more for the answer book.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
yeah but what the guy above is tryin to say is u get commented on the road if you're different and it's like everyone's conservative here pretty much, those who aren't are pretty much fake. yeah, it's religious but it's cause no one thinks for themselves to be just spiritual or atheist or whatever, they'll just be like, hindu, muslim, christian. it's just really backward in ways that there is a lot of caste discrimination going on. okay, like you get this matrimonial classified newspaper with your daily one, and that has a caste based column. it's like wtf? how publicly can you be racist?
Quote by dead hate
yeah but what the guy above is tryin to say is u get commented on the road if you're different and it's like everyone's conservative here pretty much, those who aren't are pretty much fake. yeah, it's religious but it's cause no one thinks for themselves to be just spiritual or atheist or whatever, they'll just be like, hindu, muslim, christian. it's just really backward in ways that there is a lot of caste discrimination going on. okay, like you get this matrimonial classified newspaper with your daily one, and that has a caste based column. it's like wtf? how publicly can you be racist?

whatever you do, dont use the word 'monkey'
Club Member #4
TS, how do the people you know feel about "developed" countries like the US? Also, how many non-Hindus do you know?
Quote by James Keenan
TS, how do the people you know feel about "developed" countries like the US? Also, how many non-Hindus do you know?

It is very tough to make a generic statement about the feelings of a nation. But I think the educated youth still look at the US as the ideal place to further their career. Maybe even a matter of prestige. Financially. Even when it comes to an arranged marriage, guys who are based in the US get immediate preference.
On the other hand, we have a significant minority(you know whom I'm talking about), they are a bunch of pissed off people with radical ideas with definite hatred for the US. Mainly it is the minority which has the problem, but there always exceptions.

As for me knowing non - hindus, I kind of get where you are going with this. Luckily i have a wide range of friends who cover almost all religions. Specifically, my best friend is a muslim. He has strong opinions on the west, but I tend to pretend to ignore them. Many catholics too, its all good.

P.S - I'm Hindu
Club Member #4
Last edited by classical_metal at Feb 15, 2008,