i've had a guitar for maybe six months now. i can play most chords in the open position. i know about moveable shapes (F#m and all that), i can do minor seventh chords and i know some theory. whenever i go to actually try find a song to play though, i always feel like there's a block in front of me and i can't actually play the song. no matter how much i practice i still sound pretty bad and i cant be bothered to keep at it. i cant play any songs the whole way through, all i can do is a few riffs. anyone else had these problems??? how do i work past all this???
Learn all the riffs in a song, then play them in order.
Try American Idiot by Green Day, that's pretty much the same chord pattern over and over again with minor variations.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Most people learn in an uneven way. Maybe you don't know the target song as well as you think? Get a Midi download of your target song and listen hard over and over. What crosses my mind is "are you as good as you say you are?" See the link below. The guy shows you basic chords and then uses them all for a basic tune. If you can copy everything here you will have your first "song." If not do it over-and-over until you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcmb4RplClQ&feature=related
Stop showing off and play the music!