im thinking about putting them in my SZ320 to achieve a heavier sound, the JB/59 combo just aint doing it for me anymore. ive heard awesome reviews for them, but ive also heard they can sound sterial and lifeless, the main reason why i dont like actives. anyone have any experience with them? maybe someone could shed some light on the sterial and lifeless issue
Quote by jake911
Dimarzio breeds.

If you want pickups that are the antithesis of sterile and lifeless then the Breeds are a great shout.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
heres a cliche

emg actives

i like mine

81/85 set up
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I have them on my custom made guitar. They're pretty heavy and they're not sterile. Using the volume knob it gets clean to dirty and not as strong as the super distortions. I also have emg 81-60 on my LP copy and the d-activators are much better than them.

Played through my vj, fender gdec jr, and my kustom 12 gauge combos I got great tones with it. Played with the multi-fx pedals I have really great tones and dynamics. By using the volume knob I got a range of cleans and a range of dirties with varieties of fxes used and the pups done them well.

If you dime the volume knob and used distortions it'll sustain til the cows come home. The pups are pretty strong so I seldom have the knob dimed.

Compared to emgs I can tell the emgs are rather sterile but they sure sound good. The d-activators sounds terrific, I like 'em a lot. I play a lot of clean, crunchy clean, hard rock, and heavy metal and these pups covered me well.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
heres a cliche

emg actives

i like mine

81/85 set up

no thanks. ive got EMG's, 85/81, in my ESP and i hate them.

Quote by PanHead
I have them on my custom made guitar. They're pretty heavy and they're not sterile. Using the volume knob it gets clean to dirty and not as strong as the super distortions. I also have emg 81-60 on my LP copy and the d-activators are much better than them.

Played through my vj, fender gdec jr, and my kustom 12 gauge combos I got great tones with it. Played with the multi-fx pedals I have really great tones and dynamics. By using the volume knob I got a range of cleans and a range of dirties with varieties of fxes used and the pups done them well.

If you dime the volume knob and used distortions it'll sustain til the cows come home. The pups are pretty strong so I seldom have the knob dimed.

Compared to emgs I can tell the emgs are rather sterile but they sure sound good. The d-activators sounds terrific, I like 'em a lot. I play a lot of clean, crunchy clean, hard rock, and heavy metal and these pups covered me well.

just what i wanted to hear
They might have way too much output for you, but Dimarzio just released a hybrid of the D Activators and the X2N.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Just go to Dimarzio's website and find their high output pickups.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
They might have way too much output for you, but Dimarzio just released a hybrid of the D Activators and the X2N.

Are you talking about the D-Sonic? Because that pickup is quite old and from what I remember is a John Petrucci signature pickup.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Are you talking about the D-Sonic? Because that pickup is quite old and from what I remember is a John Petrucci signature pickup.

nope. the D-activator X
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
nope. the D-activator X

!? I haven't even seen that one! I must check it out.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
!? I haven't even seen that one! I must check it out.

the question is, how does it compare to the D-Sonic?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
the question is, how does it compare to the D-Sonic?

Less top end and more output methinks. Well, from what the charts say.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster