I have found in a tab the use of * but it doesnt explain what it means:

E  :----2-------------------0-------|0-h2--2---2---2---0-h2--*---0---*---|
B  :--------3-----------3-------3---|------------------------------------|
G  :----2-------2-----------0-------|----------2-------------------------|
D  :--------------------4---*-------|0-----------------0-----------------|
A  :----------------0---------------|----------------------------4-------|
D  :0-------------------------------|------------------------------------|

The tab is Coldplay Medley
some ppl use it for harmonics and some use it for bends. when u play it does it sound right? if it does no prob if not try and recreate the sound and then u'll no wat it means
Just because I play the drums doesn't mean I suck at guitar, or ams that I's iz stoopidz.

Space that ain't yours
it depends on who makes the tab, but to me it looks like it could be a dampened note? where you kill th enote but pluck it anyway to get a kinda tick noise?...
Quote by JB2500
it depends on who makes the tab, but to me it looks like it could be a dampened note? where you kill th enote but pluck it anyway to get a kinda tick noise?...

That's a dead note. It's represented by an X.
In response to TS, it's probably a bend.
R E G G A E
Make the string stop ringing out. Think of it as a rest for only the string its on; an * on all 6 strings at once would indeed mean to make the strings stop ringing out, i.e. a rest. Pretty standard notation I'm quite sure.

EDIT: bends?! Jesus lay off the crack people, bends are almost exclusively either "^" or "b" and "r'
Quote by rcw110131
Make the string stop ringing out. Think of it as a rest for only the string its on; an * on all 6 strings at once would indeed mean to make the strings stop ringing out, i.e. a rest. Pretty standard notation I'm quite sure.

bends?! Jesus lay off the crack people, bends are almost exclusively either "^" or "b" and "r'

+1

It's a dead note.
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.