I am thinking of putting a distortion pedal in my strat. this is how I am going to do it.
1. route the body so I can put a pedal in the middle behind the bridge
2. drill holes for switch and knobs
3. take the pedal out thingy from the side of the pedal and hook it up to the jack plug on the strat ( taking out the one for the pickups, leaving it in the body)
4. mod pedal so it has a longer switch and longer knob holdy thingys on the pots
5. mod the body so I can put a patching cable from the in of the pedal to the plug for the pickups
6. put the pedal into the guitar (hooking up all the wires first)
7. put another back plate over the routed hole
8. plug in and bask in the convenience.
what do you think? is it a good idea if I use a good pedal with true bypass?
I've almost finished.
if you can pull it off... itl be good.
personally i wouldnt feel comfortable drilling holes everywhere in my guitar.
i vote ts-9

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I jsut wanna know why you wanna do that...i mean....what's wrong with a pedal being on the floor?
It was just an Idea, I mean it would clear things up a bit so if you are gigging, you don't need two relatively long cables to hook up your amp to your pedal and your pedal to your guitar. I might not do it, i was just thinking about it at school in music and I asked the dude beside me about it and he said it was an alright idea.
I've almost finished.
hm, if you really wanna do it, then go for it.

However, i think it would be cooler if you took the PCB out of the enclosure, replaced the footswitch with a flickswitch and fitted the PCB into the cavity underneath the pickguard. From there you could make extensions to the controls and switch, make 'tunnels' for the wiring and then replace the pots (possibly just the knobs to look cooler (unless they already look cool)) and then have a neat flickswitch and three knobs on the surface of the guitar....

I think that would look neater.
There are a couple of guitars with built in pre-amps, the only one off hand I know specifically is the Tregan Syren Signature. There are more, I just don't remember what specific ones they were.

It seems like a whole lot of work for pretty little gain overall. I really don't see much point, if anything, it is more convenient to turn the pedal on and off with your feet rather than using your hands which already have quite a bit to do.
Quote by zwound
hm, if you really wanna do it, then go for it.

However, i think it would be cooler if you took the PCB out of the enclosure, replaced the footswitch with a flickswitch and fitted the PCB into the cavity underneath the pickguard. From there you could make extensions to the controls and switch, make 'tunnels' for the wiring and then replace the pots (possibly just the knobs to look cooler (unless they already look cool)) and then have a neat flickswitch and three knobs on the surface of the guitar....

I think that would look neater.

+1

There's no reason to put the (unnecessary) enclosure into your guitar.
Quote by mr_hankey
+1

There's no reason to put the (unnecessary) enclosure into your guitar.

+2

sticking the entire pedal in your guitar is a really daft idea when you can just put the electronics inside the existing control caviy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Hadeed
good idea. only pedal that u should be using is a fuzz factory.

MUSE. IMO you should read more into modding pedals and electronics. I read your post and well it seems like your going a really weird way around.

i would:

1) remove innards of pedal.
2) route out body for innards to be placed in.
3) shield cavity.
4) drill holes for controls you wanna use (on switch, maybe for the knobs)
5) remove input jack of pedal. solder hot wire to selector switch (the wire that went to the output jack of guitar
6) replace footswitch of pedal with a toggle switch (DPDT switch or a 3PDT)
6) replace output jack of guitar with one from pedal.
7) connect ground wires to guitar.

and yes. try using a true bypass pedal.

you should look into Matt Bellamy's guitars from MUSE.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
that's an awsome idea! I don't know **** about electronics, but if you make it, post some pics!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Quote by zwound
That looks very primitive to me...4 Caps?

Sorry, I'm not knowledgeable on the operation of the innards of pedals.
I just thought that having that kind of set-up would be a lot smarter and more practical than jamming the box in there. Not necessarily that particular board, but something along those lines.
Yeah...Im not much of an expert myself....
But if he really wanted good tone, then he could just take the PCB out of his pedal (same thing..slightly larger and much more advanced technologically and tonally)...

nor am I, I just think it would look cool. having the button there instead.and, the reason I wouldnt put a permanent thing in is because it would be easier to replace the pedal for different sounds. like, take out a tubescreamer and put in a *insert generic distortion/overdrive pedal that is around about the same size here*. I don't think it would look non-neat, If it is done properly, it would be pretty good. and, it would be hard to replace the pedals out of the guitarif the casing was absent, and you could use different pedals (phasers, acoustic simulators, feedbackers, ect) .I am not an effects man so I think having one pedal in a streamlined package would be good for likeminded players.
I've almost finished.
but a digetech bad monkey and a patch lead take the fx out its casing put the patch lead in the axe output plug the other end into the input then use its output too plug in too amp
if u know what i mean
Quote by Tele.Player.92
nor am I, I just think it would look cool. having the button there instead.and, the reason I wouldnt put a permanent thing in is because it would be easier to replace the pedal for different sounds. like, take out a tubescreamer and put in a *insert generic distortion/overdrive pedal that is around about the same size here*. I don't think it would look non-neat, If it is done properly, it would be pretty good. and, it would be hard to replace the pedals out of the guitarif the casing was absent, and you could use different pedals (phasers, acoustic simulators, feedbackers, ect) .I am not an effects man so I think having one pedal in a streamlined package would be good for likeminded players.

It'd be just as easy to replace PCBs mounted in the control cavity. There's no point thinking about putting different pedals in there because they're all different shapes. Besides, you'd have to mod all your pedals to be able to use them in the way you're planning so no matter what you choose there's work to be done.

Seriously, if this was such a good idea don't you think people would have done it before? Even with inbuilt distortion circuits most players realise that it's simply easier to stomp on something than fiddle with another switch.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well, that is matter of opinion really isn't it?
Like I mentioned before, it was only an idea, I am not going to make it, I was just seeing if it was worth doing.
I think most boss pedals are around about the same size arent they?
No one should reply on this thread anymore though, I get the feeling that most players here think it would be a terrible idea! though, it would be good for people who havn't got feet so we will just leave it at that...
I've almost finished.
this has been done before on a larger scale, actually. there was this really beautiful line of kay les pauls which had inbuilt effects which sounded good.
unless you put in the effect you use the most. it's not worth doing it.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Quote by Tele.Player.92
well, that is matter of opinion really isn't it?
Like I mentioned before, it was only an idea, I am not going to make it, I was just seeing if it was worth doing.
I think most boss pedals are around about the same size arent they?
No one should reply on this thread anymore though, I get the feeling that most players here think it would be a terrible idea! though, it would be good for people who havn't got feet so we will just leave it at that...

oh, and yeah, most boss pedals are the same. ditto ibanez and arion.