Page 1 of 2
name the biggest, best sounding amp you've ever played.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
Peavey JSX half stack. Only wins cos its 120w rather than the usual 100.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Biggest- Fender Bassman 135 with matching oversized 4x12. 135W. It sucked (for guitar).

The best amps I've played are about half the size of that.
marshall major - all tube 300 watts
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Orange AD140TC with dual 4x12 Orange cabinets. It's loud!!
Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
JCM 800 halfstack at GC.... I couldn't crank it though
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Hmm, it's hard to say. I liked my old rig and I like my new rig. My old rig was an ADA MP-1, ADA T100s, Alesis Quadraverb, and 2 2x12 split cabs with EV. It was LOUD and proud! My new rig is equally as great, it just has a different sound. Mesa Dual rec through a Marshall 1960BX cabinet.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I played through a Traynor YBA-3A one time and it was crazy. Over 400 watts (all tube) with close to 250 watts of clean headroom. The head itself was slightly larger than a Diezel VH4.

EDIT: I should also note that it was built in 1969.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I have no intention of ever getting more than a 30 watt all tube combo. My VC30 is insanely loud with the clean volume anywhere past 3. i think i could do a small gig with it on about 4 or 5...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Biggest and Best sounding: a friends ENGL Savage Full Stack. Those things are amazing amps.
Quote by JLT73
marshall major - all tube 300 watts

it's 200

Quote by bartdevil_metal
What about that huge pic of an amp I saw on here?

you're probably talking about the 600 watt all tube crate, but it's highly unlikely that someone's played it on here.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
it's 200

you're probably talking about the 600 watt all tube crate, but it's highly unlikely that someone's played it on here.

I don't know, it was big and purple, about 4 times the height of the average man.
Yeah. That'd be.... 24 6L6s plus the preamps? There's gotta be more than 25 in the damn thing. By law.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Hmm, maybe. But then all the Blue Voodoos are 'meant' to be full tube. There's gotta be more than 25. You need at least 2 preamp tubes, one for the splitter and one for the stage before that.
Quote by Johnbryant
^ I heard 45 tubes, But that seems like to many, maybe Im wrong.

I thought I heard 45 too. That breaks down to roughly 12 poweramp tubes and 33 preamp tubes, which seems like a fairly logical number.
^ yeah, but 33 preamp tubes is a stupid amount, you wouldn't need that many unless you were entering the next era of high-gain, which would be an insane amount.

Plus with 6L6s, 12 of them could only really give 300w.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ yeah, but 33 preamp tubes is a stupid amount, you wouldn't need that many unless you were entering the next era of high-gain, which would be an insane amount.

Plus with 6L6s, 12 of them could only really give 300w.

My money is on it using EL34s, as those can be used in place of 6L6s , just needs some biasing according to the manual for my Crate VC6112 IIRC. As for the preamps, you could figure 8 or 9 for the preamp it self, 2 for the reverb send/return, 2 for the effects loop/send return, and a phase inverter. Could also be using tube rectification. Also makes me wonder if it IS 45, they have a set of preamp tubes (not including phase inverter and Effectsloop/reverb tubes) for each channel, though how you would wire it or why you would need that is beyond me, unless they put each channel on a totally different circuit - again not including your kibble tubes - for variable gain levels.
Quote by CJRocker
My money is on it using EL34s, as those can be used in place of 6L6s , just needs some biasing according to the manual for my Crate VC6112 IIRC. As for the preamps, you could figure 8 or 9 for the preamp it self, 2 for the reverb send/return, 2 for the effects loop/send return, and a phase inverter. Could also be using tube rectification. Also makes me wonder if it IS 45, they have a set of preamp tubes (not including phase inverter and Effectsloop/reverb tubes) for each channel, though how you would wire it or why you would need that is beyond me, unless they put each channel on a totally different circuit - again not including your kibble tubes - for variable gain levels.

That is possible that it has 24 power tubes, a solidstate preamp and a tube rectifier?
Makes no sense to me...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
That is possible that it has 24 power tubes, a solidstate preamp and a tube rectifier?
Makes no sense to me...

Did you even read what I said? My theory was if the number is 45, its running like this:
12 Power Amp Tubes
2 Effects Loop Tubes
2 Reverb Tubes
1 Phase Invert Tubes
2 Rectifier Tubes
8 Channel One Tubes
9 Channel Two Tubes
9 Channel Three Tubes (It looked Three Channel)

My thought was maybe they wired it so somehow each channel use uses a different set of preamp tubes. Why you would do this I have no clue. The only other way it would break down is if they used 6l6s...

If its 25, there is doubt they used EL84s.
You would have to run 24 power tubes to get 600 watts (presuming EL34's). You could run 6L6GC's and get away with 20 power tubes. To get away with 12 power tubes you'll need to be running 6550's or (preferably) KT88's.

I'm going to presume that it's using either EL34's or 5881's in 12 pairs (24 total for the mathematically declined). If it's using tube rectification it'll need one rectifier tube for each pair of power tubes (36 total so far). Going with the necessary one for the phase inverter, and the supposed two each for the reverb and loop (41 total so far) you're left with a much more believable 4 preamp tubes (45 total).

Consider that the preamp section isn't going to be significantly different than any other typical preamp section, all it's doing is providing a line level signal to the power amp section. It's the power amp section that will need all the insanity.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
he said that the amp had 45 tubes in the vid, don't need a rocket scientist to figure out that the amp has 45 tubes
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
^ true. but they're trying to figure out how they fit 45 tubes in the circuit.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by CJRocker
Did you even read what I said? My theory was if the number is 45, its running like this:
12 Power Amp Tubes
2 Effects Loop Tubes
2 Reverb Tubes
1 Phase Invert Tubes
2 Rectifier Tubes
8 Channel One Tubes
9 Channel Two Tubes
9 Channel Three Tubes (It looked Three Channel)

My thought was maybe they wired it so somehow each channel use uses a different set of preamp tubes. Why you would do this I have no clue. The only other way it would break down is if they used 6l6s...

If its 25, there is doubt they used EL84s.

If it is actually tube rectified, you'd need a whole lot more than 2. My guess would be 6-8.
I haven't tried that many amps, but my laney sure can make the house bounce. 3 is the loudest I ever dared to go.

I'd like a GH100L though, there's just something about stacks.

edit: damn, the amp in the youtube link is f*ckin big. I wonder who needs that...could be a awesome practice amp in an ampartment.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Last edited by PhantomNote at Feb 15, 2008,
EVH 5150 III 412

my ears are still ringing now
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by Hultan
he said that the amp had 45 tubes in the vid, don't need a rocket scientist to figure out that the amp has 45 tubes

what time ?

i heard '25 tubes' ?!
Page 1 of 2