In my opion, a song without lyrics is just fine. Take a look at Joe Satriani's music. Beautiful and you can feel the music. The same can be said with music with lyrics. Ive asked other people on their views and many have said songs without lyrics are good, but not what they like or worth listening too. What do you guys think?
No. All songs have to have lyrics. Anything else is just ridiculous.
This thread is pointless. What do you expect to happen? One person will express his completely subjective viewpoint, and another person with a completely different subjective viewpoint will see the light and completely change his preference?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 15, 2008,
you can't say its ridiculous, everyone obviously has a different opinion, you can't just call what someone else may enyoy ridiculous.

i like a mix of both
I agree. Songs don't need to have lyrics at all. However, some songs do. Imagine if AC/DC didn't have lyrics. It'd be three plus minutes of the same three chords with an 8 bar solo in the middle. You know how boring that would be? However, many people pull it off just fine. Look at Buckethead, Satriani, Vai, Zappa. They've all got amazing instrumental stuff.

Anyway, the point is that songs do not necessarily need lyrics, but they can spice up the right song, just as no lyrics at all can spice up the right song.
Quote by metallica92
you can't say its ridiculous, everyone obviously has a different opinion, you can't just call what someone else may enyoy ridiculous.

i like a mix of both

that was the point that he was trying to make, unless im mistaken myself.
the point of the thread was to view other peoples opinions. as a songwriter i have some difficulties with lyrics, but not with music. as only one person, i cant say everyone will like my music seen as it doesnt have lyircs. so i wanted an outside view.
^
Do what Elton John did. Get someone else to do lyrics for you. I can't do lyrics for ****, but I can take someone else's mould for lyrics and turn them into something. I just need a starting point.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
I think of vocals as just another instrument. I treat it much more melodically as opposed to technically of course, though...no use trying to write 2 octave arpeggios for a human voice at 200bpm.
^
There's no need to do it on any other instrument either

J/K
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
My dream song goes for 10 minutes. 3 minutes of vocals and basic music behind it then 7 minutes of cool Instrumental stuff.

Think War Pigs or some DT or Opeth stuff

I like good instruments over good lyrics but if you can get both then..Yeah
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Sometimes a song without lyrics is nice. Take Cliffs Of Dover. Amazing song, with no lyrics...just the great sound of guitar played by one of the great guitarists Eric Johnson
I have utmost respect for people (Tommy Emmauel and Andy Mckee being my personal favourites) who can make a great song with only an acoustic guitar.
whatever floats your boat...

i dont ussually care for lyrics anyways when i was a little kid i liked the guitar and bass lines id hear in when my dad played stuff on his cars radio so i kinda dont really notice lyrics unless i focus on them LMAO, which means instrumentals are A O.K in my books but it comes down to whatever is best suited for the song.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
A song without lyrics would be like scat singing wouldn't it? I don't think I've heard much, so I don't rate it. I love music without vocals though.
Quote by linfield44
that was the point that he was trying to make, unless im mistaken myself.

i was replying to the post above me
Quote by metallica92
i was replying to the post above me

Yes...and that was the point I was trying to make.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.