Right, after many months of lurking i decided to do a thread on my build. its probably not gonna be very fast but still,at least im doing something.

so far i have my tuners ,neck(needs all paint sanded off it), jackand my nice bit of 20 year old mahogany is on the way.i had pots but i found out they were minipots so they were sidelined due to "tone killing" effects.the good thing is that i work in a guitar shop so i can get whatever i need from there such as tom bridges, nuts,switches and me pots.i have i few questions though.

1)how do i refret my neck, ive taken off the original frets and was wondering if i shuld use a special press or just a flatfaced rubber mallet.

2)what are the lengths on a strat from nut to heel, and the same on a les paul, cus i have a strat neck and was wondering should i cut a certain amunt off, or just ajust the position of the bridge.

3)what should i use to reinlay the neck, it had silver plastic dots that i have removed and i want to put bright white ones in.
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
you NEED to get a good book, all your questions will be answered!

"How to build an electric guitar" by Melvin Hiscox.
1. Its alot easier to use a press for frets. The mallet works I just prefer a press. Seems alot less abuse on a neck than hitting it with a mallet a bunch of times.

2. The scale of LPs is 24 3/4 and strats are 25.5. You cant just shorten a neck to make the scale shorter. The frets are all set to a certain scale so if you want to use a strat neck then you will need to use a strat scale for bridge positioning.

3. Never done any inlay work yet. Dots wont be to hard to do.
thank you, how would i get a fret press, preferably for free, and also, i only want to know what to put in the holes to give a bright white colour
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
I don't know about free but you can easily get a fret press off of stew mac or atleast look up what it is on stew mac and then hit up ebay or something. I believe I got my fret press (caul not included since I already have something that will work in replacement) for like $32 off of ebay.
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
The only problem with a fret press on a Les Paul is that the neck is generally on the guitar when you're putting on the frets, and access past the 16th fret is just about impossible.

That means you still end up having to mallet in the 16th and up frets.. which won't be level with your fret press frets.

IMO, the best part about a fret press is the smooth consistency of all the frets.. it just works better with necks that can be either removed from the body, or offer fuller access to all the frets.