so im looking at a new amp.
i am only a bedroom player that plays mostly metal.
everyone says that the cube series is one of the best practice amps for metal, but what about one of the 5w tube like the palomino or blackhearts with a good high gain pedal infront? will the tone be any better with the tube or do you think it will just get drowned out in the gain im looking for?
Listen to Deagle-Eyes.
Quote by scottishmob

This is a site for musicians and you're all crying about the sad state of rock? Fuck that. I'm going to practice more and take over radio. I advise you all to do the same.
Check out the Peavey Mini Colossal. It's five watts and pretty high gain. Check it out!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well the Blackheart seems to be the heaviest of the 5 watters I've seen, but unfortunately havn't been able to try one. I bet it could do the whole metal thing with a decent OD or Metal Muff though- Can't wait to try one out. I may just walk out of the shop with it
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I think for the same price as a Mini collossal you could probably get a 5 watt tuber and say a damage control Demonizer or similar and have all the gain in the world.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
I think for the same price as a Mini collossal you could probably get a 5 watt tuber and say a damage control Demonizer or similar and have all the gain in the world.

But the Mini Colossal has lots of cool features and it's voiced for high gain.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
does it defeat the purpose of the tube amp when you put a distortion pedal in front of it and are no longer using the tubes for "gain"? just curious about the difference between the same distortion pedal run through a single channel tube amp or the clean channel on a solid state amp. I'd like a better distortion (metallica-ish) on my amp, but the clean channel seems good to me (crate GFX-212).
Quote by black_box
does it defeat the purpose of the tube amp when you put a distortion pedal in front of it and are no longer using the tubes for "gain"? just curious about the difference between the same distortion pedal run through a single channel tube amp or the clean channel on a solid state amp. I'd like a better distortion (metallica-ish) on my amp, but the clean channel seems good to me (crate GFX-212).

I don't really know if it defeats the purpose of a tube amplifier. In my opinion, the purpose of an amplifier is to make sound, even if it's a bad one! So does a distortion pedal defeat the purpose of a tube amp? Maybe in somebody's opinion it does but whatever.

I personally love amp drive and you can never replicate it with pedals. While pedals don't sound 'bad', they do sound different than amp drive.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
A tube screamer is a better idea than a regular distortion or overdrive pedal.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I dunno,the last time I opened a thread to ask bout a 5 watt tube amp for metal,I was told to get a Roland Cube.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by zoomzilla
A tube screamer is a better idea than a regular distortion or overdrive pedal.

Excuse me, whut?
Why?
The only major thing it does differently is boost the mids a bit.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Yngwi3
Excuse me, whut?
Why?
The only major thing it does differently is boost the mids a bit.

No it doesn't. It takes the output of the tubes and increases it. hence the name tube screamer. You also have adjustments on the pedal itself. If you only get mid boost, you are doing something wrong.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Broken-pick
I dunno,the last time I opened a thread to ask bout a 5 watt tube amp for metal,I was told to get a Roland Cube.

Thats because you will be hard pressed to find a 5 watt tube amp that WILL do metal without a pedal. THe Roland Cube will do it alone.

However I am pretty sure that the Blackheart will do metal with a tubescreamer/od pedal. I will try it out with my Bad Monkey tommorrow and get back to you.
The problem with low wattage tube amps is there isnt anything that springs to mind that will do proper balls out metal on its own that isnt SS. It could be done but no company had done it that im aware of. You could get the sound your after with the help of a preamp either rack or pedal. But then by the time you have forked out for all that you might as well saved a bit more and got somthig dedicated to metal but then also alot louder than 5w.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Quote by zoomzilla
It takes the output of the tubes and increases it
Isn't that just a rather long-winded way of saying it boosts them?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

An orange tiny terror alone or with an OD pedal does great for me. A bit more than the 5 watts you requested but I have found it suitable at most volumes.
Quote by zoomzilla
No it doesn't. It takes the output of the tubes and increases it. hence the name tube screamer. You also have adjustments on the pedal itself. If you only get mid boost, you are doing something wrong.

while yeah it can be used as an output booster, it is also an overdrive. simple boosters do not have gain controls or even tone knobs, just 1 knob that increases the signal from your guitar and running the tubes a bit hotter.

'tubescreamer' is just it's name. sorta like mesa/boogie's rectifier series... all amps have rectifiers.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by halikus
The problem with low wattage tube amps is there isnt anything that springs to mind that will do proper balls out metal on its own that isnt SS. It could be done but no company had done it that im aware of. You could get the sound your after with the help of a preamp either rack or pedal. But then by the time you have forked out for all that you might as well saved a bit more and got somthig dedicated to metal but then also alot louder than 5w.

the thing about that is that i dont want loud as i am only playing by myself and will not be jamming with it. i am also living in an apartment for at least another year and cant piss off the neighbours too much. i understand that a bigger amp such as a 5150 or even a valveking might be better but its too much for my needs, thus my thoughts of a 5watter. I just want to know if i will be able to retain the tube qualities while making the mofo scream.

stangconv, im interested to see what your blackheart sounds with a badmonkey drivin it. i think overdrive would be better for the tone, let the tubes come through. i would also most likely put some new tubes in it that can handle the gain better.
eh, i dunno about a 5watter in an apartment, it's still too loud if you have pissy neighbors.

you can look at some like 1/2watters which are pretty expensive... or just a small practice amp like a vox valvetronix or roland cube.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I reckon a BH with a Damage Control Demonizer or solid metal would be just what your looking for then.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Quote by Deagle-Eyes
You'd have to get a pedal though, there isnt much distortion on that amp. Very good for classic rock and modern rock though

When you put the external pedal, do you keep the gain if the amp to zero? or do you stack them up?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Check out the Peavey Mini Colossal. It's five watts and pretty high gain. Check it out!

Listen to him! These amps are amazing. Good cleans, Great gain sounds.

EDIT: Also has the powersoak thingy-majigger.... allowing you to get those high-gain sounds at lower volumes.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.