Hi there,

I read some stuff on the interwebs saying that the squire necks are the same necks as they put on the MIM (made in mexico) fenders. Can anyone confirm this? Also, what kind of body wood does the squiers have? Again the same bodies as the MIMs? And what about the electronics?
I have a 80's MIJ Fender pickguard with pups and everything. and I was thinking of getting a really cheap Squier and swap the electronics. Would it sounds as good as a regular Fender?
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
I doubt it. Even though the MIM is a cheap Fender, it will be a hell of a lot better quality than a Squier.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by styxie
Hi there,

I read some stuff on the interwebs saying that the squire necks are the same necks as they put on the MIM (made in mexico) fenders. Can anyone confirm this? Also, what kind of body wood does the squiers have? Again the same bodies as the MIMs? And what about the electronics?
I have a 80's MIJ Fender pickguard with pups and everything. and I was thinking of getting a really cheap Squier and swap the electronics. Would it sounds as good as a regular Fender?

-Squier necks might be made out of maple and they may also have the same profile, but they're not of the same standard as the MIM necks. MIM necks usually have better quality woods and better quality control

-the bodywood for Squiers depends on the specific model and up to a certain extent, the year.

-electronics on both guitar aren't spectacular, although the MIM does have better pickups etc.

On the subject of pickup swaps:

-a pickup change isn't worth it if you haven't got a good amp
-a cheap Squier will most likely be made out of cheap Agathis or plywood; neither are ideal tonewoods...
-it might not play as nice as an MIM Fender

I'd look into either a Standard (MIM) Fender or something like a Light Ash Strat.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Don't do it. Every squier I've had has been a bitch play, and they've always sounded crap (Pickups are rubbish and lifeless).
If it's a choice between a MIM and a squier, take The MIM
The squier might sound as good if you swap electronics, but it won't play nearly as well as the MIM
MIM Fender Necks are made in the same factory as MIA necks, which doesn't mean they are the same quality but they are far higher quality than a Squier neck from Korea or China or wherever they're made now.

The Fender Mexican plant is actually a very good factory and they put out very good products for the price, Squiers are good beginner/budget guitars and you can actually find some very nice ones but generally MIM Fender guitars will be of significantly better quality.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
The Squier necks are made in Indonesia. Not very good necks tbh. Not very worth it if you swap out the pickups and electronics, as the wood (most of them are agathis) mostly suck, and you don't get as good of a sound as compared to the MIM.

A modded MIM with a good neck is about as good as an American.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Quote by Schneiderman
MIM Fender Necks are made in the same factory as MIA necks, which doesn't mean they are the same quality but they are far higher quality than a Squier neck from Korea or China or wherever they're made now.

The Fender Mexican plant is actually a very good factory and they put out very good products for the price, Squiers are good beginner/budget guitars and you can actually find some very nice ones but generally MIM Fender guitars will be of significantly better quality.

MIM necks are made in Mexico, while MIA necks are made in Corona.

I don't think that they'd put MIM necks on MIA guitars or vice-versa. The Highway 1 series is a bit of an in between, but regular MIA's are MIA.

Also, MIK Fenders (not Squiers) are pretty damn good and have great value for money. Examples would be the Light Ash Strat and the Spalted Maple top Telecaster.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
MIM necks are made in Mexico, while MIA necks are made in Corona.

I don't think that they'd put MIM necks on MIA guitars or vice-versa. The Highway 1 series is a bit of an in between, but regular MIA's are MIA.

Also, MIK Fenders (not Squiers) are pretty damn good and have great value for money. Examples would be the Light Ash Strat and the Spalted Maple top Telecaster.

The necks of MIM fenders are constructed in the same factory in the US as MIA strat necks and are sent to the Mexican factory to be completed and assembled with the rest of the guitar. I don't recall exactly how complete the necks are by the time they are sent to Mexico but I know they begin their lives in the US.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
http://reviews.photoweborama.com/allthingsguitar1/fendertour/guitarbody.html

And I quote

The necks are still made in the US and shipped to Mexico. They are still in a very rough condition. They will need to be finished sanded and sprayed.

Also

As you may remember from the Acoustic section, the Mexican factory is completely capable of making their own necks, if Fender ever chooses to do this.