i got 300-400 to spend on a 5 string bass
and
i want help on which bass would best fit funk and metal music the most

plz recommend some basses to me
Ibanez ATK! Seriously - you're talking a bridge humbucker and the ATK has the best for that price.
I don't know where you are or what currency you're using! I'm just putting a suggestion out there.
Yes, you could afford the ATK, but I'd also check out Warwick, Spector and Fender, and maybe Ibanez too. I'd advise a trip to sound control or a big music shop so you can try them out. Otherwise, it's like a stab in the dark.
signature
If you can get to Birmingham (UK) then try PMT, best selection of basses and most helpful staff in the city in my opinion...or maybe try going used, could maybe get an old MusicMan Stingray, or at least a SUB??
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by skippy_moogoose
If you can get to Birmingham (UK) then try PMT, best selection of basses and most helpful staff in the city in my opinion...or maybe try going used, could maybe get an old MusicMan Stingray, or at least a SUB??

Personally I think you're being a tad too optimistic, an old Stringray for £400, IMO I don't think so. Maybe a SUB yes, but I don't see many used SUBs around these days. Obviously, they've been discontinued. But overall, I agree, used is the way to go if they've got some good models in.
signature
Quote by sir-legoman
ok thanks im going to pmt tomoz and soundcontrol sunday so il have a good look

last time I was in Sound Control they had a load of really cheap sh*tty basses, and a load of £1000 plus Warwicks, and not much else, a couple of Spectors, but over the £400 as I remeber

there's also Fairdeal Music and City Music too, City Music is pretty small, over by sound control

hope u find the bass you're looking for

and Bullet-Rule, yeah I relaised I was optimistic with the Stingray, hence throwin the SUB suggestion, but as you say, it's finding one...
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I'd honeslty have to say Warwick standard corvette in these circumstances. Bubinga for the budgeoning low end, or ash for a brighter funk sound, though neither is lacking in low end or clarity.

Very aggresive tone, which is perfect for both of those genres. I may be a bit of a fan, but this is a perfect situation for one.

It's over your budget, but if you save a bit longer, maybe evena lot longer, you will not regret it at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
if you're on about £s it's a good idea to put the £ sign in since most people will assume you mean US$ if you don't put a currency in since it's sort of the standard international currency as it were.

It's already been said but the best 5 strings for £3-400 for funk and metal are made by ibanez and warwick. You will find many bands in both styles whose bassists use them.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
if you're on about £s it's a good idea to put the £ sign in since most people will assume you mean US$ if you don't put a currency in since it's sort of the standard international currency as it were.

It's already been said but the best 5 strings for £3-400 for funk and metal are made by ibanez and warwick. You will find many bands in both styles whose bassists use them.

Well, £400 is below the cheapest new Warwicks. But they are worth the money.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Go for the new ATK's that have the bridge humbucker AND a jazz neck pickup.Or if you want to spend a little extra get a Warwick corvette.Both are Great but Id rather have the warwick too.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
i tried a atk today and it sucked and looked nasty

the ibaez edb405 was decent tho

i might get a used warwick hopefully

but im going to sound control tomoz
I don't like the atk either- sounds allright, but it feels like I'm playing on baseball bat...
that ibanez edb405 is good though.
check out rockbass by warwick, you might find a new one with some discount for scratches or blemishes.
good luck.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom