Okay. I realize there is a vocal thread, however this question isn't really on how to sing.

When we sing to music, do we typically sing in the root note? I realize we sing in different octaves than the actually chords etc, but do we typically sing the same note? Or do we sing the 5th of the chord, the 7th?

I'm not really sure how to explain what I mean. Hopefully someone understands that.

Thanks
Typically you sing the melody, which is made up of all those chord tones you listed and passing tones. The R 3 5 7 will sound god, but if you want some drama add the 9th or 6th, maybe iven #4. Think of singing like playing a melody on guitar. What notes do you play on gtar? well... sing em!
You sing a melody based on the key. It's no different than a guitar solo. Do guitarists always use the "5th of the chord"?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
It depends. Usually when people think "singer" they think of the lead singer that sings the melody. However, that is the same as assuming all guitar work is a guitar solo. Multiple singers may very well be singing together to form a chord and background singers may very well be singing rhythm parts as opposed to melody.
You don't even have to be singing a chord tone. Sometimes your note is out of key, which is pretty common in bluesy runs(singing the minor third in a major key, diminished 5th in a minor key). It's just the melody(yes Mattheau, I'm referring to the lead guy, a choir is a whole different story). But, in most popular music, the stressed beats or prolonged notes are generally chord tones.
Do you have to think about theory when your singing to make it sound good? if you just throw on some random vocal melody will it sound bad?
You don't have to have any knowledge of theory to make good-sounding music. It's not something most of us here would recommend though I'd probably play it out by ear if I happened to be singing. If the melody is random, as you said, chances are, it'll sound random and not compliment whatever is going on around it.
Quote by SOAD_freak777
Do you have to think about theory when your singing to make it sound good? if you just throw on some random vocal melody will it sound bad?
You write the vocal melody exactly as you would a guitar/flute/sax melody.