what's the difference between the two? i think i remember something like one or the other will contain a 7th along with the chord, but i can't remember for sure.
A 9th chord will include the 7th (1 3 5 7 9), whereas an add9 will just be the triad with and added 9th (1 3 5 9).

I think that's right
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
As a general rule, any time you see an extension beyond the 7th on a chord, a b7 is implied (unless specifically notated as "maj7") as well as the extensions that come before it (an 11 chord, for instance, will contain a b7 and a 9). When this is not the case, and instead you just want to add a specific extension onto a chord, you'll write it as an add# chord.

9: 1-3-5-b7-9
add9: 1-3-5-9
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
No, a 9 chord would be another way to write a dominant 7th, dont ask me why, but those 2 chords are identical in a chord finder

an add 9 chord is a Major with a 9, or 2 added to the chord
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
No, a 9 chord would be another way to write a dominant 7th

A 9 chord is a dominant chord in the sense that it has both a natural third and a flat seventh, but it is not a dominant 7th chord.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
To un-confuse the thread starter....

A 9th chord includes the 7th, an add 9 chord doesn't....

DMaj9 - R 3 5 7 9
Dmaj add 9 - R 3 5 9

The same goes for the difference between sus and add chords...

Dsus 2 - R 2 5

Dadd 2 - R 2 3 5
Quote by icon_player_5
No, a 9 chord would be another way to write a dominant 7th, dont ask me why, but those 2 chords are identical in a chord finder

an add 9 chord is a Major with a 9, or 2 added to the chord
You need to start using a different chord finder.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.