I know that many people have probably asked, but I searched it and didnt find it. so what does it mean when someone says that a pedal doesnt have true bypass??
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
True bypass means that when the pedal is switched off, the signal will go directly from input of the pedal to output, so the tone is unaffected.

Not having true bypass is the opposite.
ooo, how can I tell if a cetain pedal has it or doesnt? I was looking into overdrive pedals like bbe green screamer and ibanez ts9 and boss od-3...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Alot of the time \true bypass is brought up in the features of the pedal...Theres no external way you can find out...just do some research or open the pedal up .

AFAIK:
TS9 : not true bypass
Boss: not true bypass

But IMO true bypass is quite overrated sometimes. Its beneficial, but not worthy of its hype
ok, well thanks for the info.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
True bypass is something that's both good and bad. Becuase true bypass is like if you were to have extra cable and the more cable, whcih can make the sound worse.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
yeah, that extra cable can add up if you start using a ton of pedals. In those cases, it's beneficial to have a good buffer circuit to keep the signal integrity. However, that little bit of added cable can be a lot better than the cheap buffer circuits used in a lot of pedals. It's overrated if the pedal has a good buffer circuit already, but if it's a cheap crappy one like my old GCB95 wah buffer, it can make a big difference. You can easily tell how much tone suckage is going on just by adding/removing the pedal from the signal chain, with the actual pedal effect off.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
There's not a lot of pedals in production with good buffers. The best way I've found to keep your signal pure is to use a boost or something like that (I use a tube microphone preamp) along with good quality cables and true bypass pedals. Some non TB pedals are easy to mod for TB (ie Crybaby), others are not so easy (Boss).
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...