Hey Everyone! My buddy is looking to get a new acoustic and is looking to spend anywhere between $400 and $700. He originally bought a Laguna that was beautiful and played amazing, but took it back to guitar center because of some minor fret buzz and the dude ****ed the guitar all up. Needless to say, my friend left with his money back in his pocket. Now he is looking for a different guitar. His requirements are:

$400-$700
Electric Acoustic
Cutaway
Aesthetically pleasing
Must sound good unplugged.

He wants the best deal for his money (Don't we all). Currently he is looking at some yamahas, more specifically the APX900. We are heading down to the local music shop today to check out some Breedloves. He hasn't been playing really long (a little over a year). He is in love with Yamaha due to his jet-skiing passion and is pretty gung-ho about Yamaha. I'm trying to get him to look at some other models and not limit himself, especially since the APX900 isn't a full bodied acoustic. We haven't heard it or played it yet though. Any suggestions?
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Last edited by white99z at Feb 16, 2008,
the yamaha apx series is actually pretty good i love my 500 its amazing for its price so the 900 should be incredible. i think there are a few martins in that range maybe a takamine
i've been testing out the APX900 a lot lately at a local guitar shoppe because i myself am pretty gung-ho about it, and in the market for a new acoustic. anyways, i find that when played unplugged it carries (at least the one i tried) a very low resonant sound, which can be very cool, it's personal taste i guess. on yamaha's website you can find videos of some guy playing the APX900 plugged in and i think it sounds pretty awesome, though i havent tried plugging it in myself yet.
Thanks for the help guys! I'm willing to bet that he will end up with the APX 900. Just don't want to make a bad decision ya know?
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Check out the Ibanez acoustic electrics. All are good values for the money. I just picked up an Ael50 that is killer straight out of the box. Good electronics and nice full sound unplugged too.
avoid martin and taylors in the price range. for martin, you'll be wasting your money on what essentially is dry wall. for taylor, you could just get something much better for the same price.

Here are some brands you may want to look into: Alvarez, Takamine(takamines sound very good plugged and decent unplugged), yamaha(my school has an apx series. very good plugged in, but it sounded pretty dull and bland unplugged), breedlove, Seagull(exceptional quality for the price), and Guild GAD series(if you can find it for the right price. if i were buying one with your requirements, this would be the one i'd buy hands down.).

that's all my suggestions. the Seagull is really good. and i really would buy the Guild if i was in your price range. it sounds a little bright like the taylors, but it's still got some soul to it.

as for aesthetics. yes it's a very good idea to have a guitar that looks nice, but if your friend is planning to stick with the same guitar for a long time, then this shouldn't be very high on his requirements.

the follies of each guitar comes out as you play it over time, so just make sure that he's REALLY satisfied with how the guitar plays. that is the most important factor of all. make sure he plays the guitar for at least 30 minutes to make sure that the feel is right for him.
the apx 900 is a great guitar when plugged in but doesn't sound as good as a full body acoustic when you're not plugged in. if you're going to be playing mostly unplugged take a look at the DWX-7C series from Yamaha, it's a nice cutaway electro/acoustic
white99z, this is off topic...but are you a member of LS1tech.com? (If the z refers to z28) I'm 99camarosupersport over there...
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Quote by kylec922
white99z, this is off topic...but are you a member of LS1tech.com? (If the z refers to z28) I'm 99camarosupersport over there...

Nope! Sorry.

He played an APX500 today and it was really thin sounding. There is no APX900 in stock anywhere within 100 miles and the shop said if they order it, he is obligated to buy it. So... he is worried that the apx900 is going to sound just as thin unplugged and is considering the cpx900. However, he is going to have to order it from musicians friend or guitar center's website because nobody carries them around here. So... decisions, decisions. Can he really go wrong with the CPX900?
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
godin Art & Lutherie cedar CW the model with electronics should be in that price range. i have one and it is a great sounding guitar but scratches easy
i have an Art & Lutherie Cedar CW as well. it's on the low end of $400. Since he can spend up to $700, he could probably get something better. the A&L cedar cw is very good for the price, but there are better guitars near the higher end of his budget.
He ended up ordering the Yamaha CPX900 last night. It was a little over his price range ($850), but I am sure he will be amazed by it.
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
do you know what the CPX series is all about and how it differs from the APX?
Quote by Zida
do you know what the CPX series is all about and how it differs from the APX?

He does... I have no clue what its all about.
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
since that post ive done a little research actually. it seems that the CPX series is just a full bodied APX with a circular sound hole (instead of the oval) and different inlays.
that said, i now wanna try and find a local CPX to try :p