Can anyone advise me as to how I can make or purchase a sound hole cover for my Washburn Rover Travel Guitar? I have installed Washburn's "Romp" microphone pick up, which was specifically designed for the Rover (The installation is solid. I had my tech do the install). The problem is, because of the design of this small-bodied instrument, the feedback is immediate and can't really be resolved by re-positioning the proximity of the guitar and amp. I think a sound hole cover might be (part of) the solution. To make things even more "challenging", the Rover's sound hole is not round, but is oval-shaped. Do sound hole covers require "vent" holes? I've seen them both with and without. I'm not running the thing through a Marshall stack! I just wanted to put it through a tiny little Pignose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gjack316
my school's yamaha has an oval shaped sound hole as well. i assume that you may have to just try to find one online or try to find one at a store.

another solution for feedback would be to reposition the amp behind you if possible.

umm, soundhole covers dont always need vent holes. vent holes wont kill off as much feedback as completely closed off ones(obviously). their purpose is just to let you hear it a bit better if you arent plugged in so that you dont have to keep putting it in and taking it out.
Thanks for the advice, Captivate. I'm thinking that maybe I could just cut a piece of foam, make it approximately the right shape and a little oversized, and kind of just "squish" it into the sound hole. It'll probably look frightful but may cut down on some of the feedback. Maybe I could even glue something on the top of the foam so it wouldn't look so terrible. As far as amp positioning, I've tried everything short of placing the amp in the next room and closing the door. I have an acoustic/electric Oscar Schmidt Uke (obviously a small body like the Rover) that doesn't have any of the problems with feedback this little bugger does. I've even used the OS Uke on stage with no issues at all. What you say about holes in the sound hole cover makes good sense. They are there more for the player to hear than for any other reason. If you come up with any brainstorms, let me know. Just as a side note, I have many (some quite expensive) guitars and have NEVER had more fun with one than I have had for the last month with this Washburn Rover. It absolutely makes me smile just to hold it. The quality of construction is hard to believe and (IMHO) the sound is positively enchanting. I can practice in the car while waiting for doctor's appointments, while my wife shops for clothing, at lunch, literally anytime and anywhere. It's a great little guitar (even if I never get to plug it in).
Best regards,
gjack316