I'm just curious about how everyone else goes about writing their riffs. Do you just jam until something comes out? Are you inspired by things around you? Do you have some off-the-wall method? My curiosity and recent dry-spell of riffs just leads me to wonder how everyone else here does it.
jam till something comes out,
be inspired by stuff I listen to/practice.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Silver_PHo3nix
just play and let it come out

sorry that sounded perverted but you know what i mean
Quote by Silver_PHo3nix
sorry that sounded perverted but you know what i mean

Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
usually when I'm playing around with a scale, then I'll hear something I like

isn't this the wrong forum though?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I used to just noodle around on my guitar during random times (taking breaks from classwork, while watching TV, etc.) and come up with my riffs that way.

Now, I actually start things from a different end of the spectrum. I use my drum program (Rhythm Rascal) to come up with a nice beat, and then I either come up with a nice chord progression or just riff out over it and see where that gets me. I then export a MIDI from RR and import it into Guitar Pro, lay down a bass track, and lay down a rhythm or lead track (depending on what I originally started off with).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Listen to a lot of other bands and find out what makes them so interesting. Is it the scales they use, the rhythmic changes or their entirely different approach to writing music? Use your ears and try to develop your own style.

Yeah, I know. That won't help you for sh1t. Most of the stuff just comes naturally.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
i you play guitar hero the riff just flow out... its really amazing
I listen to some Children of Bodom and BFMV to get inspired then I'll write a few riffs and put them on GP
I just conceptualize and experiment:

I came up with a really sorrowful cowboy road type thing by playing regular Major barre chord shapes in DADGAD.

Just started singing stuff like "I'm on the road, sad as I can be, been so lonesome, empty pavement's all I see..."

Etc.

Never would have written something like that unless I mistakenly picked up the wrong guitar (the one I've got in DADGAD) and just started playing what I thought would be Major chords.

*shrug*

I recorded it and the rest is history. Very, very minor history.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

This'll sound kind of weird. But I go to my room at night and sit in the dark and close my eyes. And I meditate. I imagine this long, drawn out intro that just flows out. Almost symphonic. And then at the end the guitar fades in. And then whatever jarring riff plays in my head, that's the riff.

I've come up with some sick riffs that really satisfy me.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I base them around concepts. I'll play around in another time signature, or with only using a few specific chord voicings till I make something that sounds good. I tend to compose full pieces for Guitar, Cello, Violin and sometimes another instrument or two depending on who I can find who plays those pieces. Again, I just sit down with a concept in mind, and I play around till I latch onto something.
Jam, but I tend to come up with very much 'my style' riffs.

To get out of that mode, I go listen to an album, then come back and play around in whoever's style I was listening to, then tweak it a bit, and jam more. Hit and miss, sometimes I just get fed up and end up playing some ****ty metalcore riffs, other times I hit the nail, and get some cool crunches or progressions out.
Jam and noodle around, stuff like that. Occasionally I'll try playing a song thats too hard for me, or tabbed wrong and come up with something thats neat, derivative, but neat.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
well.....i think i have a little scale like thing i write riffs on....i make little riffs on that move them around the fretboard and when doing harmonies i think ok so theres 9( yes 9 for some reason) notes in this scale and then number them, choose another scale 3/5 semitones down and play the numbers of the scale together with the last one for some really really weird tunes

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Sonicxlover
This'll sound kind of weird. But I go to my room at night and sit in the dark and close my eyes. And I meditate. I imagine this long, drawn out intro that just flows out. Almost symphonic. And then at the end the guitar fades in. And then whatever jarring riff plays in my head, that's the riff.

I've come up with some sick riffs that really satisfy me.

i can imagine the mushrooms help aswell.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Quote by jigy-i-joe
i can imagine the mushrooms help aswell.

haha
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
I usually some up with song ideas/riffs in the shower or late at night right before I go to bed. And then I record them before they are lost forever.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...