20 24%
Not annoyed and disagree
9 11%
Annoyed and disagree
5 6%
other
14 17%
Voters: 83.
This is not a rant or anything but lately I'm getting kind of annoyed of this emotion is solos thing.Every time I look on a video of a great guitarist shredding or just doing what they do best.Out of nowhere there is one twat saying "THERE IS NO EMOTION IN HIS SOLO!" and it just pisses me off because this is like METAL videos(not saying that Metal doesn't have emotion in it).In my mind I'm like dude if you want emotion look up a friggin blues band or something like seriously I can bet that people think there is emotion in a solo because the guitarist is making weird faces and grooving to it? I think that most people that say this don't even know what emotion is because when I'm shredding sometimes I feel angry,sad, or happy.Does that not count as emotion in my solos or music?

So my question do you agree/disagree or understand what I'm saying?

These are great guitarist that they use the "NO EMOTION,N U SUCK!"

Alexi Liaho
Dave Mustaine
Rusty Cooley
Michael Angelo Batio
Y.J.Malmsteen
and others...
Last edited by Techtonic at Feb 15, 2008,
i understand what you're saying, but when ppl say theres no emotion in a song/piece/solo its not because the person isnt 'weird faces and grooving to it', although that may be part of it. It's in the music, something that you can hear and feel. It's what makes you think, oh wow, this isnt just another metal run, this actually means something to him.
i never really focused on emotion while listening to metal only when listening to soft or classical music is when emotion should be critisized
it makes me laugh because theres different emotions porttrayed in say metal than say blues, yet people complain about lack of emotion. its not lack of emotion its a different emotion.
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by Techtonic
This is not a rant or anything but lately I'm getting kind of annoyed of this emotion is solos thing.Every time I look on a video of a great guitarist shredding or just doing what they do best.Out of nowhere there is one twat saying "THERE IS NO EMOTION IN HIS SOLO!" and it just pisses me off because this is like METAL videos(not saying that Metal doesn't have emotion in it).In my mind I'm like dude if you want emotion look up a friggin blues band or something like seriously I can bet that people think there is emotion in a solo because the guitarist is making weird faces and grooving to it? I think that most people that say this don't even know what emotion is because when I'm shredding sometimes I feel angry,sad, or happy.Does that not count as emotion in my solos or music?

I'm not exactly sure I get what you're asking. But I hafta say, there will always be a douchebag or two who tries to put down a guitarist/musician by saying something like: "No emotion" or whatever.

Just let it go. If there is emotion in it for you, that's all that matters. Music is universal. For instance, a song can be written to express a feeling that the writer is feeling at the time. Two years later when I hear the song, I related perfectly to a different feeling I am currently feeling.

And to agree with you, I hafta say, metal is the most emotional music I have ever heard.
emotions just sometimes happen.
you might not now it but they are there you just got to understand it.

it is true that a solo cant have emotions but you can sometimes understand it
There is emotion in quite a few of metal solo's, however it's alot simplier to pic out in other genre types.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Dare I suggest that the emotions a listener would feel when listening come from the associations we make with certain scales and types of playing (slow=sombre, to be cliché and that, maybe, solos with "no emotion" are solos that happen to be played at a stupid speed?

It really gets on my nerves when I see people talking about "emotions" in solos. When Satch's guitars start complaining about how he doesn't love them enough, THEN I will take this topic seriously.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
The innate problem is that shredding is a blur of notes, played consistently the same length. Sure, it's bloody fast, but it's only impressive in that facet. It DOESN'T have emotion, because it's not designed to. That's why I will always enjoy a guy like David Gilmore who has a sense of timing and tension when he solo more.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Techtonic

These are great guitarist that they use the "NO EMOTION,N U SUCK!"

Alexi Liaho
Dave Mustaine
Rusty Cooley
Michael Angelo Batio
Y.J.Malmsteen
and others...

+1 shredding is shredding rock on
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by Mazzakazza
I voted 'wat?'

Funny you're the only one who doesn't get it? what a surprise
I find those such claims to be bullshit because all music is made with emotion. Just because a guy isn't "showing his soul" with bend after bend or whatever doesn't mean there's no emotion. Shredders are playing the music they love, and are passionate about. Just because it's not the type of emotion everyone else feels doesn't mean it's just arbitrary notes strung together in a cacophonous mess. If you wrote it, and it means something to you, then there's emotion in it. It just may be less of an extroverted emotion such as the blues. Not everyone shows how they feel the same way.
Quote by Mongoose87
The innate problem is that shredding is a blur of notes, played consistently the same length. Sure, it's bloody fast, but it's only impressive in that facet. It DOESN'T have emotion, because it's not designed to. That's why I will always enjoy a guy like David Gilmore who has a sense of timing and tension when he solo more.

That is the most close-minded thing I every head.So what you are syaing is that every single person that shreds is blurring their note becuase they can play fast? and I'm pretty that even David Gilmore blurs a few notes live too.So I think your theory of shredding has failed.... badly.
Shredding is about accuracy and skill, it's more like Architechtural art as opposed to emotional playing which is more like abstract art, It's all art at the end of the day, I like both and use both depending on the piece. So I say "Leave the shredders alone, we're trying to build a kickass bridge here!"
Quote by ValoRhoads
Shredding is about accuracy and skill, it's more like Architechtural art as opposed to emotional playing which is more like abstract art, It's all art at the end of the day, I like both and use both depending on the piece. So I say "Leave the shredders alone, we're trying to build a kickass bridge here!"

Thank you.. now can you explain it to Mongoose87
Agree with some, disagree with some.
I agree with Alexi, Yngwie, and Dave for example. They have great solos.
I disagree with Herman Li. The man can play, but he doesn't have to make those pacman sounds. 5000 NPS is enough!
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Agree with some, disagree with some.
I agree with Alexi, Yngwie, and Dave for example. They have great solos.
I disagree with Herman Li. The man can play, but he doesn't have to make those pacman sounds. 5000 NPS is enough!

Herman li wasn't up there for many reasons..
if he has any bullocks he'll check the thread and find out himself
It all depends on what goes well with the song. If its a soulful song it should have an emotional solo where as a more angry more fast-paced song should have a shreddy solo in it. Either way I don't care it should be what suits the song best...
yeah i agree
if a guitarist is putting no emotion into his solo it means hes probly concentrating hard to deliver it perfectly instead of showing off and acting all confident then ****ing in up
Quote by hazzmatazz
It all depends on what goes well with the song. If its a soulful song it should have an emotional solo where as a more angry more fast-paced song should have a shreddy solo in it. Either way I don't care it should be what suits the song best...

+1
All i need is a solo that fits the song.

Also, shredding with emotion = Jeff Loomis.
I wish people would stop being pretentious idiots and saying songs have no emotion just cos they're fast and they don't like them. If you don't like something, no-one ****ing cares. You don't have to generalise every shred guitarist and say that they have no soul.

It's often those same people who tell me I'm closed minded cos I don't like hip-hop because it has no melody.
Shredding is very impresive and all of us here know how hard it is and how much it takes to do it.....but to the average ear is to fast to "feel" anything or is seems very repetitive, and thats my opinon...I personally would love to shred all day, but not very good at it. I practiced a lot of blues, but im trying to shred.