Perhaps this is the wrong thread, but i figured theres more traffic here, so...

I have found myself in a rut. I play a lot of bebop music, and i can manage the tunes, jam on the chords no problem, all that stuff...but when it gets to improv, i suck. Can someone give me some tips and or "lessons" to help me out with this?

Thanks
Probably should be in the other forums, but I'll let you off (Pink Floyd, y'know)

Improv usually comes more through practice than anything else, also building on licks you know/have written. Can you improvise with genres OTHER than bebop?
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by PinkFloyd73
Perhaps this is the wrong thread

How can a thread be wrong?
Quote by PinkFloyd73
ya, its genreally just bepob and other jazz that i have a problem with

Ah, I can't really comment to be fair... It's worth experimenting with modes/scales to find ones you like the sound of. Also, to quote Miles Davis: "If you play a note out of key once it's a wrong note. Play a note out of key twice and it's jazz" and, shockingly, you can make this thesis work if used subtly.

Try mixing concepts: Take a scale in a certain mode (e.g. mixolydian) and add the "blues notes" you get in the blues pentatonic (augmented 3rd and 7th, I think)

My theory isn't great so I may have just spouted crap, but give it a shot, it works for me.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by Våd Hamster
How can a thread be wrong?

Ah, but the question is, can a thread be right?

Cam Sampbell's my hero
I think the TS meant the wrong forum
Call me Callum

like, i dont quite get what the roblem is, i just go to improv, and complet crap spews form my guitar...
^what you need is someone to practice with

Someone to give some instant input on your playing and put up some backing....