Page 1 of 2
boards of canada are awesome.

check out Meddle by Pink Floyd, too. it's got some wicked ambient moments.
I love Brian Eno. 'Music for Airports' and 'Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks' are my favourite albums of his.

I don't know a lot about Ambient music, but I like Biosphere, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin and B12.
Godspeed, A Silver Mt. Zion, and Set Fire to Flames are my favorites.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
I can't really help you beyond Brian Eno and Aphex Twin. Good taste, though.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Try Death Cube K, its actually just a Buckethead pseudonym but he puts out some nice ambient stuff.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=198296430

one song put up by i killed the prom queen guitarist kevin cameron, as "Lover: Destroyer"
i reckon it's pretty good, although i seem to like dark ambient stuff like burzum more.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Eluvium
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Listen to older Mum.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Helios
Pocahaunted
Quetzolcoatl
Le Chat Blanc Orchestra
Aidan Baker
Does Shpongle count?
This week I have mostly been listening to...

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
As an additional remark, I would advise everybody to stfu and listen to Buz XD

Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
^aren't they all post-rock/experimental-rock bands?

Meh, yeah, kind of. Fairly close to the same thing though. I guess if you want me to be more ambient, I'd say MGR.
My main rig:
Schecter C-1 Classic
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru
LTD M-300
Peavey 5150 II
Randall RS412XL

Greatest thread ever.
Listen to Steve Roach, he is a pioneer of ambient music.

My personal favorites are:

Kammarheit
Inade
Svartsinn

Ambient recs (cds)

Biosphere - Dropsonde, Substrata
Lustmord - Heresy, Stalker(w/Robert Rich)
Kammarheit - The Starwheel, Asleep and Wellhidden
Inade - Aldebaran, The Crackling of The Anonymous
Steve Roach - Midnight Moon, The Magnificent Void
Brian Eno - Music For Airports, On Land
Jeff Greinke - Cities In Fog
Our skin worn thin
Our bones exposed
Life reduced to ticks
Here are a few quick recommendations (outside of what's already been mentioned):

The Dead Texan (self titled)
Robert Rich - Below Zero
Kawabata Makoto - Inui 4
Rhys Chatham - A Crimson Grail (For 400 Electric Guitars) (one of 07's best releases)
Hans Joachim Roedelius - Theatreworks
Desiderii Marginis - Seven Sorrows
Machinefabriek - Mort Aux Vaches
Fennesz - Transition
Emeralds - Planetarium
Belong - October Language (on the noisier side of things)
It's more Ambient/Pop or Ambient/Electronic, but essential nonetheless; Moon Safari by Air.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Steve Reich is brilliant. i have the Phases collection, Sextet, Daniel Variations, and something else by him. any idea what else is essential listening for him?
I'm getting owned by Raison D'Etre. And kudos on whoever mentioned Kammarheit...

Any recs for Lustmord albums to start on ?

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
when it comes to Brain Eno, you have to check out "Thursday Afternoon". its an album consisting of one hour long song.

it starts very low and swirling, but crescendos throughout the whole hour long duration into an almost "soaring" vibe by the end. not to mention he works birds chirping into the end.

i find it to be one of the best albums for *cough*drugs*cough* chilling and sleeping.

this is a five minute clip of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swQAwnusJVQ

other than that, The Campfire Headphase by the Boards of Canada is amazing.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by uhh_me?
Steve Reich is brilliant. i have the Phases collection, Sextet, Daniel Variations, and something else by him. any idea what else is essential listening for him?

'Different trains' is my favourite by him.
Will also agree with Broken_drum about 'Music for 18 musicians'.

Oh, and can't forget 'Pendulum Music'. It's not the most fantastic piece but after 'phases' I think it's his best concept.

As for 'Thursday afternoon', I've owned that for about 6 years now and still haven't managed to listen to it in one go, it's so boring.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Music for 18 Musicians and Different Trains are both in the collection that i have, what has fascinated me most is his use of percussion. are there any other pieces like Drumming? oh, and as for Pendulum Music, i have the record Sonic Youth did on SYR4. is there a better version floating around?

my 2 cents on Thursday Afternoon: i've never listened to it in one go. i have listened to parts of it before, but it is so difficult to devote an entire hour to one song.
Quote by Andrewbiles

As for 'Thursday afternoon', I've owned that for about 6 years now and still haven't managed to listen to it in one go, it's so boring.

Quote by uhh_me?

my 2 cents on Thursday Afternoon: i've never listened to it in one go. i have listened to parts of it before, but it is so difficult to devote an entire hour to one song.

maybe its just me, but i think thats why i like it. i just find myself getting lost in the sounds and floating away to a happy place. i like the simplicity and the subtle changes. its not really an everyday song, i only throw it on when im trying to sleep/relax/draw/write/etc.

granted i only really get into it while under the influence. that very well could have something to do with it.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
well, i have paper to revise. i am going to throw Thursday Afternoon on and see how things go.
Quote by uhh_me?
well, i have paper to revise. i am going to throw Thursday Afternoon on and see how things go.

i could not think of a more perfect time to listen to it IMO. let me know if you change your mind. i think you will
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by uhh_me?
Music for 18 Musicians and Different Trains are both in the collection that i have, what has fascinated me most is his use of percussion. are there any other pieces like Drumming? oh, and as for Pendulum Music, i have the record Sonic Youth did on SYR4. is there a better version floating around?

Oh sorry I read it as just 'phases'. I have that collection too. 5 discs of pure brilliance.

I can't tell you off the top of my head about what tracks have drumming in, but Steve is like the ultimate drummer. I've read in the past that he's travelled the world learning different styles from different countries and studied them heavily at University level and above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhVC9_e2hzQ

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
I'm getting owned by Raison D'Etre. And kudos on whoever mentioned Kammarheit...

Any recs for Lustmord albums to start on ?

The Starwheel is fantastic.

For Lustmord, check out Heresy
Quote by strigoi_vii
The Starwheel is fantastic.

For Lustmord, check out Heresy

will do

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Anyone heard of Laraaji?
Got his part of Brian Eno's 'Ambient' series for my birthday and the first half is amazingly good. It'll instantly remind you of Steve Reich. Would definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

RateYourMusic
Would you guys consider the album I Care Because You Do by Aphex Twin ambient? And also, would you consider the song treefingers by Radiohead ambient?
Quote by IcePh0enix
Would you guys consider the album I Care Because You Do by Aphex Twin ambient? And also, would you consider the song treefingers by Radiohead ambient?

ICBYD would probably be classed as Ambient Techno and I'd say Treefingers is Ambient, yeah.

Quote by Andrewbiles
Anyone heard of Laraaji?
Got his part of Brian Eno's 'Ambient' series for my birthday and the first half is amazingly good. It'll instantly remind you of Steve Reich. Would definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

Haven't heard Ambient 3 actually, only have 1 at the moment but I'm planning on working my way through the series so I'll give it a listen.

Anyone heard any of Daniel Menche's work? I'm finding it quite amazing at the moment. You can download various releases of his for free via here

I recommend 'October's Larynx'.
Last edited by Broken_Drum at Jun 29, 2008,
^ 'Ambient 3' is well worth checking out, been playing it more today and really enjoying it.

Have heard bits of Daniel Menche but nothing substantial enough to really pass any judgement. Got some credit at Important Records at the moment though and I seem to remember seeing they released something by him recently so that might go on the list.

RateYourMusic
Page 1 of 2