Hey, soon i will be getting a peavey VK100, but only the head, would it work well on the line6 cab? its a 4x12 cab and im sure its capable of 150watts.
I was told in PMT birmingham that it wouldnt work, but I was then told in soundcontrol where im getting it from that it would work through it.

any ideas? thanks in advance.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
No there very lousy cabinets IMO. Get a Avatar 2x12 with V30's.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
whats so bad about them?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Not the greatest speakers and poor build quality IMO. Avatar is much better. If you have one already though you might as well use it.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
so its still usuable? i cant get another cab as space being an issue, and my dad says I have to keep the line6 as we wouldnt get any where near a good price for it
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Well I would sell the cab for whatever you can get. IMO it's not really worth keeping. An Avatar 2x12 isn't big at all, about the size of a combo amp and is much better all around.
Quote by doggy_hat
Antyhing is usuable as long as its the correct Impedance. Example 8 ohm to 8 ohm. But sound quality and stablity is the other. If its a low wattage cab at high volumes that head might rip the speakers apart. I've split speaker cones in half before, it can happen lol
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 15, 2008,
I don't know why they would say that it would not work? What are the ohms of the cab and what are the ohm choices on the output of your amp? I am sure it would work, but would not sound the best.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
the heads 100 watt and the cabs either 100 or 150 watt i cant remember

the ohms are switchable on the head, 4, 8, 16
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Last edited by Dust_to_Dust at Feb 15, 2008,
Ok, we have an answer. yes, it would totally work then. I don't know why anyone would say it would not. Will it be the best sound? No, but it will work if that's what you want to do.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
the heads 100 watt and the cabs either 100 or 150 watt i cant remember

the ohms are switchable on the head, 4, 8, 16

A tube amp is 1.5x watts more then a Solid state. So if the Cab is rated at 100 watts and you have a 100 watt tube head then you actually pushing 150 watts to that cab. And if the cab is 150 watts is that the peak or rms. And i still woldn't run it at 150 watts even if it is rms. Also if its peak then your trashed and it will destroy the speakers at high volume.. 150 you have a shot if your keep the volume low and avoid any mess up pops from cord disconnects and random stuff like that. But hey its your money you might be throwing down the drain. A working cab is alot easier to sell then a busted one...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
A tube amp is 1.5x watts more then a Solid state. So if the Cab is rated at 100 watts and you have a 100 watt tube head then you actually pushing 150 watts to that cab. And if the cab has 150 watts is that the peak or rms. If its peak then your trashed and it will destroy the speakers at high volume.. But hey its your money your throwing down the drain. A working cab is alot easier to sell then a busted one...

according to the link that i sent above, the cab is 300 watt, so i don think that would happen
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
according to the link that i sent above, the cab is 300 watt, so i don think that would happen

Well then your good to go...... But sound quality is gonna be lacking. A cheap solution is get a good set of speakers for your cab... The when people hear it they will freak out and think its line 6 but your actually running some Vintage 30's in it lol
lol and how much would speakers be?
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Do not listen to them... out of all cabs Line 6 is one of the best ones. surprisingly. Amazing speakers, the only problem is people always assume it's **** because it's Line 6, just make sure you get one over 600.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
A tube amp is 1.5x watts more then a Solid state. So if the Cab is rated at 100 watts and you have a 100 watt tube head then you actually pushing 150 watts to that cab. And if the cab is 150 watts is that the peak or rms. And i still woldn't run it at 150 watts even if it is rms. Also if its peak then your trashed and it will destroy the speakers at high volume.. 150 you have a shot if your keep the volume low and avoid any mess up pops from cord disconnects and random stuff like that. But hey its your money you might be throwing down the drain. A working cab is alot easier to sell then a busted one...

no...just no

Solid state and tube put out the same number of watts.
It just sounds louder to our ears.
Generally, a speaker can handle DOUBLE what its rated for, they are compensated for overdriving amps.
Good idea, but you have much to learn.

Quote by DSchmitty
Do not listen to them... out of all cabs Line 6 is one of the best ones. surprisingly. Amazing speakers, the only problem is people always assume it's **** because it's Line 6, just make sure you get one over 600.

You're dumb
He just told us that he had a spider cab.

FAIL
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I didn't read the thread, just based off of some dumb@ss saying Line 6 is crap... just cuz they pooped out on the spiders doesn't mean they suck, MGs are the worst series of amps ever, but still Marshall stacks are one of the best.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by DSchmitty
I didn't read the thread, just based off of some dumb@ss saying Line 6 is crap... just cuz they pooped out on the spiders doesn't mean they suck, MGs are the worst series of amps ever, but still Marshall stacks are one of the best.

yeah....totally not seeing that post.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
No there very lousy cabinets IMO. Get a Avatar 2x12 with V30's.

Very Lousy ^^^ that's what he said, no they are very good, better then avatar.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by DSchmitty

No.
There are like 2 line 6 cabinets that are worth money, the vetta ones, and the spider valve ones with v30's.
I'd still say avatar compares with both of those too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by DSchmitty

Ok spider cabs are crappy IMO especially for the price. I never said anything about Line 6 as a brand.
Quote by doggy_hat
Quote by kool98769
No.
There are like 2 line 6 cabinets that are worth money, the vetta ones, and the spider valve ones with v30's.
I'd still say avatar compares with both of those too.

Avator is pretty good, but good Line 6 Cabs are about the same, most of the time better, and we're talking cabs, no such thing as a spider cab, that's a combo and head series.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Ok spider cabs are crappy IMO especially for the price. I never said anything about Line 6 as a brand.

Well then we agree, because the Spider Series sucks ass, and spiders are only a head and combo series... not cab.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

kool98769
UG's official fidgeter

Originally Posted by IbanezPsycho

no...just no

Solid state and tube put out the same number of watts.
It just sounds louder to our ears.
Generally, a speaker can handle DOUBLE what its rated for, they are compensated for overdriving amps.
Good idea, but you have much to learn.

My apologies just researched it more. I've always heard that tube amps are generally 1.5 times the wattage of a solid state amp and never took the time to look into it. Didnt know they were talking about how the ear perceives sound. Thanks for the update.

Now back to the speaker comment. There are two ratings when it comes to speakers like listed in my post. Continuous RMS watts and Peak watts. Rms is the amount of wattage a speaker can continuously stand up too and Peak is what it can handle if the wattage peaks or spikes. But if the wattage stays in the peak thresehold for to long a period it will blow. So what your saying is correct if your talking about peak wattage but if you have someone that posts up and says hey this says 300 Watts max and your telling them it can handle double you are wrong. Anytime it says max that is the peak power handling so rms is going to be 150 watts. Which should be fine if the build quality is good on those speakers. But its still bad advice to give out that generalization about all speakers... Hope that explains my comments a little better.
Quote by DSchmitty

Wha???? Based on what? give me the specs of the Line 6 cab that is better than the Avatar.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by DSchmitty

I disagree. I'd rather have an MG over a Line 6 Spider anyday of the week. I've tried both next to eachother and can honestly say the MG is better sounding.

And no, there is no way in hell that Line 6's lower end cabs are better than Avatar. Well, unless you're high.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Thanks everyone, so it will definately work with no problems? just that the tone wont be the best?

Thanks again.
Main Gear
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
Quote by Dust_to_Dust
Thanks everyone, so it will definately work with no problems? just that the tone wont be the best?

Thanks again.

Exactly, you'll be fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com