Hey,

I'll have to leave my guitar for around four months, with no one playing it - so just wondered what you people think the best state it should be left in. Should I

- remove the strings, and allow the trem (floyd rose) to go into the body
- remove the strings and block the trem
- or just leave the strings on

Any help would be great, cheers
4- leave strings, and block trem

edit: if your leaving for so long, removing the string will cause massive wrapage of the neck
Last edited by just17n8 at Feb 15, 2008,
I'd leave the strings on, your guitar is built to be strung.

But do block your trem.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
I'm not sure about electrics, but for acoustics I think it's inadvisable to leave the strings off for a long period of time as the string tension helps the guitar stay "in shape". I would think if you left the strings off for a long time the neck would start to bounce backwards. I don't know if it's the same for electrics, but I would think something similar. My guess is you probably wouldn't want to leave it too different from its normal playing configuration.

--- D
I heard that when you do that you have to leave the strings on, but loosen them up, that way you don't have too much unnecessary tension on the neck but you still have the strings o 'keep the guitar in shape', and I say block the trem or take out the springs so they don't give the body the same unnecessary tension
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by Techtonic
Take it all apart.

Only if you're 110% sure you know how to put it all back together or you have someone that can do it for you and return it to it's natural state
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Leave it as is and just put it in a nice hardcase.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
^^ I agree with Hakael, just shove it in a hard shell case. DON'T take the strings off or it could permanently damage the neck. (And don't take it completely apart either, like some people are suggesting!?!)
Quote by Hakael
Leave it as is and just put it in a nice hardcase.

yes be sure to loosen string a little though cus they might break if it gets cold ans poof there goes tension!
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
As long as it's kept in a relatively safe spot in the house that stays at a generally consistent temperature (doesn't fluctuate between extreme hot and cold), it should be perfectly fine in a hardshell case. You shouldn't even really have to loosen the strings, as the case would keep neck from severely bending (provided it's a decent case and not a cheap box), and the neck shouldn't warp unless the guitar is subjected to extreme temperature highs and lows (as in gets really hot one day, to really cold the next, then really hot, then really cold, etc., etc., etc. for a long period of time).

Friend found a National MAP guitar that was in someone's closet for YEARS in it's original hardshell case. Guitar was perfectly fine, nice straight neck, not a single issue. Strings had loosened a bit, on their own through time. Particularly nice because this guitar has no truss-rod.

Acoustic guitars would need to be a little better taken care of mainly because they're more susceptible to temperature and humidity changes than solid bodies are. It would need to be kept in an area that, again, stayed at a fairly consistent temperature and also a fairly consistent humidity (forgot the percentage off-hand) to keep the wood from cracking.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Hakeal has said everything that anyone else could say, to be fair.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by Hakael
As long as it's kept in a relatively safe spot in the house that stays at a generally consistent temperature (doesn't fluctuate between extreme hot and cold), it should be perfectly fine in a hardshell case. You shouldn't even really have to loosen the strings, as the case would keep neck from severely bending (provided it's a decent case and not a cheap box), and the neck shouldn't warp unless the guitar is subjected to extreme temperature highs and lows (as in gets really hot one day, to really cold the next, then really hot, then really cold, etc., etc., etc. for a long period of time).

Friend found a National MAP guitar that was in someone's closet for YEARS in it's original hardshell case. Guitar was perfectly fine, nice straight neck, not a single issue. Strings had loosened a bit, on their own through time. Particularly nice because this guitar has no truss-rod.

Acoustic guitars would need to be a little better taken care of mainly because they're more susceptible to temperature and humidity changes than solid bodies are. It would need to be kept in an area that, again, stayed at a fairly consistent temperature and also a fairly consistent humidity (forgot the percentage off-hand) to keep the wood from cracking.

I agree with the above quote.