Has anybody here added their own strap buttons to the neck-side of the body? I'm just looking for feedback on whether it's a good idea or not. I'm not too worried about my guitar because I'm generally pretty good at this stuff and it's only a cheap Epiphone.

I'm thinking of doing it like this (the first, "passenger side" method, on the page) but I'm wondering if it would be better to do it on the shoulder above the neck by inserting a small wood block glued into the guitar for it to screw into. Anybody know where it would be better to put it?

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Musician/GenSetup/StrapButton/strapbutton2.html

I think that would be the best place to put it in my case. Any input/suggestions/warnings?

Thanks!
Last edited by TheProducer at Feb 15, 2008,
Actually, I don't like the installation shown, "perpendicular to the button." Installed this way, the strap will be wrapped around the lower part of the neck. Using the same picture that you referred to, a much better (IMHO) place to mount the button would be at the flat part of the neck where it joins the back of the guitar. This allows the strap to pull against the entire button and not against the slit in the strap. Also, drilling into this point gives you alot more wood to drill into (less chance of crack). Epi mounts some of their buttons at an angle on the side of the neck and it works out great. I wouldn't try it there due to the chance of cracking. Whatever you do, go slow and use pilot holes (plural). One crack and you're pretty much done. Best of luck.
gjack316
I've drilled and put these things on without troubles, but when the guitar really (REALLY!!) mattered I just double-sided tape a cable-tie thingamajig on and then cable-tied the end of the guitar strap to that.

Clear?

Didn't think so.
Haha, not the least. I don't quite get it, when your guitar mattered the most you taped something to it...? Tape + Guitar = Does not work in my mind.
I'm thinking of doing it like this (the first, "passenger side" method, on the page)

Ive got no problem placing it there provided your guitar doesn't have a cutaway. Ive played a couple of cutaway guitars where the strap button was placed there and it got in the way when accessing the higher frets. This could be attributed to my own playing style of course but its something to think about nonetheless.

a much better (IMHO) place to mount the button would be at the flat part of the neck where it joins the back of the guitar.

This is my opinion also. Though the author of Frets.com doesnt seem to endorse it, ive never experienced the problem he describes.
The double-sided tape mounted thing was removable. I was afraid to drill a hole and wreck it!
And if you're not sure where to put it a temporary mount can be good to check it out for a week or two. Then if you find the right spot you can drill and screw in a real strap button.
I had a strap button put on my guitar and it cost me $7. That's cheap insurance if they screw it up. If you screw it up there ain't not insurance.