I need a different "channel" on my amp for higher gain. Basically, I've got good cleans, I've got good crunch, but that's on the same channel as my somewhat mediocre high gain tone. I need a pedal that will mimic high gain sounds that I can run on the clean channel of my amp. It has to have an EQ, and preferably two stages of gain - though this isn't essential. I also really like the tube clarity and definition, so maybe something with a tube in it - I really don't know - to keep that clarity. Basically what I mean is no completely digital crap like the BOSS MD-2/Metalzone etc. Money is almost no object, I'm not sure what I want to pay yet, so post some suggestions! (This can be a rack effect too if needs be, but I'm really not up for buying a mesa quad or something ridiculously expensive, so you know, be sensible.

The sound needs to be similar to Metallica (obviously I'm not expecting Metallica in a box, but somewhere near).

Thanks,

The ZVex 'Box of Metal' is worth considering. It has an onboard 3-band EQ and an onboard noise gate as well as tons of distortion. It has only one stage though.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Well firstly, Metallica (and the like) use distortion, not overdrive. So right off, forget about the overdrive.

Secondly, what amp is it you have? This matters more than the pedal. One pedal can't turn a bad sounding amp into some screaming tube monster. All any pedal can do is increase gain (overdrive) or add artifical distortion (uhh... distortion).
If your amp sucks, no pedal will save it. Your amp makes up more of your tone and sound than any other piece of equipment, even the guitar itself. A pedal can only add to what your amp can do.

To that end (leaving amp specifics aside for a moment), something like a BOSS DS-1 or Digitech Hot Head might suit you. Both are capable of very high levels of distortion, high enough for most metal with most guitars anyway. The Digitech has the advantages of seperate high and low cut/boost controls, though of course it is digital (which can or can not be a problem - it depends on your amp, cables, other pedals and guitars whether digital effects sound any better or worse than other effects).
Oh, my bad, I meant to write the amp in the original post. Must've forgot. It's a Peavey ValveKing 112.
You use a VK right? Have you messed with the Texture knob? Have you tried an OD in front?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
You use a VK right? Have you messed with the Texture knob? Have you tried an OD in front?

Yes, and yes. I have an O.D, But its a TS9 and I use it for solo boost. I really don't like the rhythm boost I get from it. Beautiful lead tone though. The texture knob is really overrated IMO. Doesn't really make a whole lot of difference.

I've been looking at the Tonebone Hot British; is that any good?
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Yes, and yes. I have an O.D, But its a TS9 and I use it for solo boost. I really don't like the rhythm boost I get from it. Beautiful lead tone though. The texture knob is really overrated IMO. Doesn't really make a whole lot of difference.

I've been looking at the Tonebone Hot British; is that any good?

What guitar and pups?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Have you tried the Metal Muff?

It might not be tube, but it's a beast.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
The metal muff is way overrated imo, fizzy and thin.
Then again I don't know what to recommend. Usually you can boost the overdrive channel with an overdrive, and it sounds closer. In all truth it could be your amp, I never liked the valveking.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
JB? Maybe you need EMGs your something with more power...?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
No, it's mainly convenience over everything else. I need to switch between crunch and distortion regularly in the songs I play, and I need a better high gain tone anyway. I'm not looking for a mesa in a box, just something decent and standalone. And for the record I'm happy with the VK, It's just the gain and crunch can't be used together without shared EQs, plus, I'm sure I can get a better high gain tone in a stomp box through the clean channel.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Did you miss my reply? Damage Control Demonizer!! It's pricey but worth it.

Sorry, yeah I did miss. My bad, again. Can it get heavy enough for Metallica without fizzing out on me? If I'm gonna pay that sort of money i need to know it's reliable.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Sorry, yeah I did miss. My bad, again. Can it get heavy enough for Metallica without fizzing out on me? If I'm gonna pay that sort of money i need to know it's reliable.

Yes, definitely. (You can even use the Demonizer to warm up your amp if you have the gain off )

It can go from uber-clean, to clear, defined, ball rattling distortion .
And another cool thing about it is, if you put the pre-EQ dial to max, it sounds like a fixed wah (like a wah, without the rocker).

Check out the video of the Demonizer on their website:

http://www.damagecontrolusa.com/pedals_ind.php?pedal=2
That sounds beastly! More gain than I would ever need. Too bad the casing is butt ugly.

Still, I'm getting one as soon as I have the money. Thanks for the help man.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
That sounds beastly! More gain than I would ever need. Too bad the casing is butt ugly.

Still, I'm getting one as soon as I have the money. Thanks for the help man.

No problem .

....what's wrong with the casing?
bad monkey has high and low knobs and so does my sansamp
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer