Hello people. This is my inaugural post. I hope this message finds you all well.

I've narrowed down my soon to buy amp choices to the ones above...after a whole lot of research. Yes...I have searched and read the other threads on these amps. I'm just wondering if there's any fresh insight and/or recommendations anyone can give me on these beauties.

I know the Roland is the odd one out being solid state...but I hear that the clean channel is legendary. I play rock, blues and pop type stuff...don't need the kind of gain necessary for metal...just a good clean sound, a gritty overdrive...and an amp that handles pedals well.

From what I've seen on the Traynor YCS50, it seems to be one of the most featrure rich and versatile amps I've come across.

Thanks in advance for the responses. Fire away!
Traynors are truly awesome, really, great amps. I'd recommend them to anyone.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Last edited by Grönis at Feb 15, 2008,
The YCS50 is more feature laden and versatile than the YCV50, however the YCV50 is (in my opinion) better at what it does. The YCS50 is a bit more modern sounding (even on the British setting) than the YCV50 (which really nails a lot of classic rock and JCM800 type tones).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Thanks for the replies so far. What I like about the YCS50 is it's versatility in being used at studio/practice wattage at 15W, or for gigging situations at 50W. What a great feature. And of course the variety of choices available on the clean and overdrive channels are pretty sweet too.

Then again, the YCV50 has a master volume knob if I'm not mistaken? So that makes it handy for bedroom practice as well. And not that looks are by any means the most important feature, but the YCV50 just looks far sexier than the YCS.

So far the Traynors are getting all the love and attention here. Please keep the comments coming.
I'm not familiar with the YCS 50. It certainly looks pretty cool.

I'm a big fan of both the Peavey Delta Blues and the YCV 50, though. Both great amps. The Delta Blues has more of a Vox type of sound, while the Traynor has more of a Marshall tone. Both take pedals really well. If you want "gritty overdrive," the Jazz Chorus isn't what you're looking for.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I've been listening to the audio clips of the Traynors from their website...good stuff. There is a noticeable difference in tone between the YCV50 and the YCS100H...the latter sounding darker and more ominous on the "ugly rock" clip. Both are great to my ears. I've found one clip of a YCS50 on YouTube, and it sounds really nice there as well. So far the scale seems to be tipping in the direction of the Traynors...though I realize the Peavey and the Fender are fine contenders as well.
I love the Traynor YCV 50 Blue, it's actually one of my favorite amps and it's so reasonably priced too. I'd go with it
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by knight_1974
Thanks for the replies so far. What I like about the YCS50 is it's versatility in being used at studio/practice wattage at 15W, or for gigging situations at 50W. What a great feature. And of course the variety of choices available on the clean and overdrive channels are pretty sweet too.

Then again, the YCV50 has a master volume knob if I'm not mistaken? So that makes it handy for bedroom practice as well. And not that looks are by any means the most important feature, but the YCV50 just looks far sexier than the YCS.

So far the Traynors are getting all the love and attention here. Please keep the comments coming.

I have a Traynor YCS50 and I love it. It is a truely veratile amp. It also has a master volume knob like the YCV if that changes your mind at all. Both Traynors are good amps though and aren't super overpriced either.

Go here for more Traynor amp info
Last edited by GNRAGE_2010 at Feb 15, 2008,
Thanks for the comments guys, and for that link GNRAGE_2010. I just finished reading through that thread...very interesting stuff. These Traynors are growing on me more and more. It may end up being an epic battle between the YCV and YCS 50s. With all the features and options packed into that YCS50 though, it seems like a very hard deal to beat. So this is what being seduced by the dark side feels like...
Quote by knight_1974
Thanks for the comments guys, and for that link GNRAGE_2010. I just finished reading through that thread...very interesting stuff. These Traynors are growing on me more and more. It may end up being an epic battle between the YCV and YCS 50s. With all the features and options packed into that YCS50 though, it seems like a very hard deal to beat. So this is what being seduced by the dark side feels like...

No problem

I actually was able to get the YCS50 off of ebay from a store there for only $650.
I've actually been keeping my eye on that same store I think. Lots of nice toys to derail my bank account on. If only $$$ did grow on trees. Hopefully it won't be too long before I take the plunge on one of them. It's almost definitely between the YCV50 and YCS50 now.
I have the YCV50 blue.. and it is pretty sweet!

Havent played the YCS but it sounds very versatile. I myself dont really need that...

I like having just nice cleans all the way to crushing overdrive.. and the YCV does that perfectly.

Although all having a american/brit option on the cleans would be pretty cool to play with!!

I am sure you will be happy with either!
So...I thought I was dead set on choosing between the YCV50 and YCS50, and then I came across these bad boys:

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=73&ProductID=98&Tab=0

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=73&ProductID=99&Tab=0

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=75&ProductID=100&Tab=0

These Kustoms look very intriguing as well. Does anyone here have any experience with any of these? Thanks.
Last edited by knight_1974 at Feb 20, 2008,
Buy the traynor, well one of them, we Canadian's will be happy if you do so. And so will you. I'm getting a used one very soon
Quote by knight_1974
So...I thought I was dead set on choosing between the YCV50 and YCS50, and then I came across these bad boys:

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=73&ProductID=98&Tab=0

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=73&ProductID=99&Tab=0

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=2&FamilyID=75&ProductID=100&Tab=0

These Kustoms look very intriguing as well. Does anyone here have any experience with any of these? Thanks.

I have never played any kustoms but I hear they are very good amps. They are a little more expensive than Traynors I believe but I may be wrong about that.
Well...I bit the bullet. I came across an offer I couldn't refuse. I just purchased a Kustom 36 Coupe in brand new condition, with the sparkly red tuck and roll, off eBay. It's been modded with a Celestion G12H 30W 70th anniversary speaker. All the case candy and accessories. I got it for $450...including the shipping. I believe I'm a happy camper.

I've researched these amps a lot now. Every official review on them that I've seen has rated them very highly. And the sound slips are awesome.

Thanks for all the input and opinions everyone.
^ That amp looks really cool. I'd love to try one out, but I have yet to see one in person. Seems like you got a great price on it, too. Good luck with it!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.