I bought Crate VC508, all tube and 10" speaker for 100$ off ebay.

Unfortunately, what I RECEIVED was a 10 year old piece of junk with a broken pot, half broken jack, and something black melted on the speaker.

One place wants to charge me $150 to repair the damn thing (Not counting cost to buy parts.)

Another place wants 30$ for a HALF HOUR, and then an unknown cost for more time after that. They also can't give an estimate for how much it will cost, as they don't know how long it will take. Again, costs for parts needed.

So I'm looking to buy a new amp. Because I'm on the mainland right now (instead of Hawaii) I have the opportunity to save on shipping, but I don't have the opportunity to try any out.

I'm also on the budget of under 300$ at the most, so I've been looking at the following:

Blackheart - BH5112

My top pick! Anyone have experience with this amp? And what is a solid state rectifier and what will it do?

Crate V5
The better version of the palomino? Seems like the exact same thing + Effect loop.

Peavey ValveKing Royal 8
Isn't this the V5 with a smaller speaker? Is there any reason to get this over the others..?

Please put your input in! I'm hoping to get a good 80s hair/80s metal tone from this amp so please keep this in mind while suggesting. Also, if you can recommend an OD pedal, I'd be delighted (I have the Yngwie DOD overdrive in mind right now).

Finally, if you think it's worth it for me to fix the old piece of crap instead, say it now and tell what parts to get.

TONS OF MAHALOS-
My current ghetto setup:

Crate VC508 (Needs new speaker and pots BADLEY.)
Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
BBE Sonic Maximizer (rack)
Last edited by Thelastrilo at Feb 15, 2008,
I have heard good things on the crate v5, try it out.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
I have heard good things on the crate v5, try it out.

Same here (or rather the palamino, same thing.) But i'm interested in getting the blackheart as well, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions.
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
Also- if it isn't clear how bad my current amp is, my Fender 15R sounds good compared to it, and the epiphone valve junior stack sounded like GOD.

Help.

Please-
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
i know it's cliche, but definitely try out those amps IF YOU CAN. if you can't, i would personally go for the crate.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
I get that.. But could someone give me a particular reason?

The circuit just sounds better or something..?

Anyone even tried (or know anything about) the other amps?
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
well, the crate will give you classic rock OD with no problem, then put an overdrive like a tubescreamer or the like and it will give you some 80's hair metal
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by DunlopGuy
well, the crate will give you classic rock OD with no problem, then put an overdrive like a tubescreamer or the like and it will give you some 80's hair metal

Sounds good, but I still like the idea of a 12 inch speaker with a 3 band EQ, so again: Do you know anything about the sound the blackheart would give me..?
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1