I'm getting a Epi valve jr head version currently have a crate 120 watt combo. Just 2 questions

1. Can I connect the head to my combo , using it as a cab sort of?

2. If I buy a cab for it , will it be loud? I mean as loud as the 120 watt?
1. Yes it's perfectly possible to use your combo as a cabinet

2. No. In spite of the fact that 5 watts is louder than most people think it is, it still won't compete with 120 watts of anything.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I assume you mean a crate 120 watt SS combo...

if its 120W tube then definately no

if its 120W ss then still no, but nearer, though you'd need to be getting around 30W to match that volume. As a rough guide, tube is generally the same volume as a ss amp of 2.5-3 x the wattage.
Adam
Well you have to consider what you just said. If I hooked up 4 Marshall full stack cabinets to a 5 watt head, would it make the sound any louder? You are putting out 5 watts of power, whether you are using 1 speaker or 20, the volume will not noticably change, it will just be spread differently.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Instead of one speaker pushing 5 watts, you'll have 2 pushing 2.5watts. That's not exact but it's close to what's happening
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Gotcha I'm new to all this so I was just wondering , always owned a solid state amp so don't know anything about tubes or amp heads and cabs thanks for the info!
Quote by Kevin Saale
Instead of one speaker pushing 5 watts, you'll have 2 pushing 2.5watts. That's not exact but it's close to what's happening

¿Que?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer