Alright, quick question about amps.

OK, so I went to GC to try out an amp I'm looking at buying. It's a SS. After playing for a while, I noticed that the potentiometers / knobs were kinda going in and out, and breaking up. Kinda the way they do on an old tube amp. So, I asked the guy about it. He said it's probably dirt, or wear and tear, or the component trying to compensate for voltage or something along those lines. I finished a DC Circuits class in college and so I know DC pretty well. I was guessing it (pot problem) was kinda along those lines as well.

Could someone post and confirm this theory?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
If the pots get dirty inside they kind of crackle when you turn them. You can either clean them with contact cleaner. Matt Bruck showed how to do it on a guitar pot on the guitar world cd a few months ago, but I would guess the procedure would be the same on an amp pot. Look for the vid on youtube.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
I though you were talking about pot....
i have some dank right now =]
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant
if you can, spray contact cleaner in the pot, (you'll need to open the amp to get to those...)
if that doesnt help, the pot resistor materials have worn out over the years or such and must be replaced with a matching POT.

POTs are nothing more than a resistor only they have a slide so you can change the resistance between two of the three solder legs.
Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I though you were talking about pot....
i have some dank right now =]

Misleading title for some.
No "Gee-tar-eist", pot is short for POTENTIOMETER. It's a variable resistor. Anything that is a knob is a potentiometer. From your radio to your stove, to your sex toys, these all have potentiometers in them. LOL

oh yeah, and so does your guitar and amps, etc. :P

But yeah "jb_designs", it was kind of a crackle that I heard when turning them. So it was probably just dirt and not an electrical problem. Thanks for confirming this.
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
Quote by jimmy666page666
Misleading title for some.

Hahah...yes,
indeed
Marijuana is not a drug! its simply a plant