Do I need a special cable to carry amplified signal from a head to a cabinet, or can I use just regular guitar cables? I'm working with two combo amps here, wanting to send the amplified signal of my Marshall 20 watt combo to the speakers of my Fender Deville. I just want to know if I'm going to ruin a regular guitar cable by using it to send that amplified signal.
Yes you need a speaker cable. Music stores have them. The thicker gauge in a speaker wire has less resistance than an instrument cable.

Not sure why you would want to do what you're doing... but that's what you need.
Ok, if you are trying to do what I think you are, think again. Are you trying to use the line out of your Marshall into the input of your Fender? If so, that is a really bad idea and makes no sense at all.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
No, I'm not going to plug it into the input of my fender. I know that would fry it. I've still got to check it out a bit, but there's a few different outputs and inputs for each amp which serve different functions. I might just take the preamped output from the Marshall and put it to the poweramp stage of the Fender, seeing as I don't have any speakerwire, and I can't be bothered to get any right now.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
^WTF??

+1
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Wow, do I really make no sense whatsoever? I want to use the preamp of the Marshall and the Poweramp of the Fender Deville. Does that not make sense, or did I just word it stupidly before?
Quote by big crouton
Wow, do I really make no sense whatsoever? I want to use the preamp of the Marshall and the Poweramp of the Fender Deville. Does that not make sense, or did I just word it stupidly before?

Why the hell would you want to do that? Just use ONE amp, you don't need to mix it up.

-BTW, Fender Devilles are great amps .
Yes, Fender Devilles are great amps, but I'm trying to get a certain sound for a recording, and I'm not quite getting it from either amp. I'm messing around with as many different configurations as I can to get the sound I'm looking for, and I think that the Marshall preamp going through the Fender Poweramp may provide the sound I'm looking for. I might be way off base here, but I'm willing to try anything, and I just don't want to fry anything in my quest for the right tone for the song.
Well you are going down the wrong path dude. Using an "All in one" amp with another one is bad. There is reason they make "Preamps" and "Poweramps". A power amp has no preamp at all, it just drives the sound. The preamp cannot be hooked to a cabinet as it has no power. Forget what you are trying to do, you are most likely going to ruin both amps.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I think i understand what he is trying to do...

Marshall preamp output from the effects loop to the poweramp input in the fender effects loop and vice versus... Is this correct?
Quote by zoomzilla
Well you are going down the wrong path dude. Using an "All in one" amp with another one is bad. There is reason they make "Preamps" and "Poweramps". A power amp has no preamp at all, it just drives the sound. The preamp cannot be hooked to a cabinet as it has no power. Forget what you are trying to do, you are most likely going to ruin both amps.
What I'm looking to do is use the Marshall preamp with the Fender poweramp.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I think i understand what he is trying to do...

Marshall preamp output from the effects loop to the poweramp input in the fender effects loop and vice versus... Is this correct?

If his Marshall is the AVT20, there is no effects loop, just an emulated line out. I don't know for sure that the line out works like an effects loop. Is it inbetween the preamp and the power amp? His Fender would have to have an effects loop for this to work. Ok, I guess it does. So the only question is, how does the line out work with the Marshall? Do you think it's a post preamp, pre-power amp line out? I am not sure. If it is, then I guess it would work.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Yea i dont know either, it should work if they both have effects loops. I was going to try it once just to see what my marshall vs100 sounded like with 100watts of tube balls behind it but never got around to testing it. lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yea i dont know either, it should work if they both have effects loops. I was going to try it once just to see what my marshall vs100 sounded like with 100watts of tube balls behind it but never got around to testing it. lol

Well it's a moot point if the line out does not work like an effects loop. The AVT20 (assuming that's what he has) does not have the effects loop.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
Well it's a moot point if the line out does not work like an effects loop. The AVT20 (assuming that's what he has) does not have the effects loop.

Yea, i know. Just helping to dude out and clarifying what he said for everyone. And also stating it is possible with the correct amps...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yea, i know. Just helping to dude out and clarifying what he said for everyone. And also stating it is possible with the correct amps...

Yeah it is. You are correct there my friend. I was totally confused by his first post.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
but it is possible to gut out the marshall's preamp stage and stick it in the fender's preamp spot.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well, having tried it out now, it didn't work quite the way I expected, but I've got it set up now so the effects send of the Marshall (which is a DSL 201 by the way) is going to the regular input of the Fender Deville. I tried going to the 'Power Amp In' of the Deville, but it was exceptionally noisy, and I had no control of the level of the Deville. So far it's sounding pretty good though, and I'm just about to see if it records as well as it sounds right now. I'll let you guys know how it works out for me.
Quote by big crouton
Well, having tried it out now, it didn't work quite the way I expected, but I've got it set up now so the effects send of the Marshall (which is a DSL 201 by the way) is going to the regular input of the Fender Deville. I tried going to the 'Power Amp In' of the Deville, but it was exceptionally noisy, and I had no control of the level of the Deville. So far it's sounding pretty good though, and I'm just about to see if it records as well as it sounds right now. I'll let you guys know how it works out for me.

Thats and option too, turns your preamp into a pedal/modeler basically... and joins both voicings.... Its different i give you that... Some one on here needs to do that with a Jcm 800 and a Peavey 5150... Satan himself may rise up from the ground lol
Quote by big crouton
What I'm looking to do is use the Marshall preamp with the Fender poweramp.

I think you're looking for a rack setup ( like me!! ).

I know there's some marshall preamp called the JMP-1, you could use that and buy a nice (powerful ) power amp...
Or I could use the preamp I already have in my Marshall combo. If I had money to spare, I'd buy a nicer set up, but I've got two pretty good amps here, and I figure I might as well get the most out of them.