He's coughing really heavily and I'm getting worried. It's half twelve (midnight) here, so I can't take him to a vet. It's a really deep cough mainly, but sometimes he wheezes a high pitched sound, before coughing again.

Please can I have mature responses, with sources cited if possible.

Thank you.
I think that is reverse sneezing (which is usually not serious). Im not sure. Look it up on the internet
██████████████████████████████
I'm not really a vet or anything, and I'm sorry I can't help. But I hope it's nothing too serious and he/she pulls through!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Feb 15, 2008,
Give him available food and water and something confortable he can sit/sleep on. The best thing to do is to wait until morning to call a vet and schedule an appointment, or just go without calling and see if they offer walk-ins.
He's had water, but to no avail. I'm getting mixed results from google.
Quote by Cameronrobson
Dog be illin' son!

I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
hmmm....he might just have a small cold, nothing too serious, but i would take him to the vet as soon as you can.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Make him comfortable and feed him and give him water. Phone up any other family/friends who might also have dogs to see if they can help...
Quote by ss311
He's coughing really heavily and I'm getting worried. It's half twelve (midnight) here, so I can't take him to a vet. It's a really deep cough mainly, but sometimes he wheezes a high pitched sound, before coughing again.

Please can I have mature responses, with sources cited if possible.

Thank you.

*ss311's reaction to his dog coughing*
Oh crap, my dog's dying!!! I better go get on my computer and write a thread in a guitar website about how my dogs dying!

haha, i think ur dog is goina be fine, mine does that all the time too. I think he might just throw up once or twice, he probably just ate more then he can handle.
since when did the pit become a board of vetenarians?
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Dude coughing and weezing could be two things

Kennel Cough
Or
Worms

Both are easily fixed. My new puppy did it at first too. Next time he poops, Get a stick and look at it. If there are white things in his poop he has worms. Has he been around any other dogs?
Quote by Cameronrobson
Dog be illin' son!

I read the opening post really seriously.. then that

Seriously though TS I can feel ya' pain in the opening post. Emergency vet?
Quote by nick dixon
since when did the pit become a board of vetenarians?

The pit is filled with clever guys. When they want to be they can be doctors, vets, rocket scientists, pirates and ninja's.

As for your dog, he should be ok, just keep him comfortable, then first thing tommorow ring and make an appointment with the vets.
Ill and dog in the same sentance...

WIGGER!!!
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
He hasn't been around other dogs. I don't think he's dying, but I'm worried because I lack experience with this sort of thing. Thank you to the posters who helped me out. It seems to me that he has a bout of Kennel Cough. Thank SloppyJoseph for naming the illness for me. The symptoms seem to point towards it.
put a tampon in it?

But seriously, if you can't take it to the vet the only thing I think you can do is make it as comfortable as possible, give it some water, and stay with it all night until you can get to the vet.
Quote by ss311
He hasn't been around other dogs. I don't think he's dying, but I'm worried because I lack experience with this sort of thing. Thank you to the posters who helped me out. It seems to me that he has a bout of Kennel Cough. Thank SloppyJoseph for naming the illness for me. The symptoms seem to point towards it.

Don't trust symptoms. They can be wrong.

Example? According to Freud I'm a lesbian.

Think about it.

Quote by ss311

Hope he gets better really soon dude! What breed is he by the way?

lol

And if you're really worried about Spot/Patches/Zoltar the soul eater then you should just wait until morning and take him/her/immortal hellbeast the the vet.
two and a half men.
He's a boxer, but I think along the way, he's part something else because his snout isn't too short, and he's more elegant and slim than the typical boxer is perceived to be.
Quote by Cameronrobson

lol

And if you're really worried about Spot/Patches/Zoltar the soul eater then you should just wait until morning and take him/her/immortal hellbeast the the vet.

Tsk tsk. Perfect opportunity for a Gary Larsson reference...

Sadly I don't think many people would understand...

Quote by ss311
He's a boxer, but I think along the way, he's part something else because his snout isn't too short, and he's more elegant and slim than the typical boxer is perceived to be.

Ah nice! I love boxer and boxer type dogs!

They can have heart problems and breathing problems though due to their design. I am not trying to scare you of course, but this is what I have heard quite often. Hope he's doing okay mate!
Quote by Jackolas
Ah nice! I love boxer and boxer type dogs!

They can have heart problems and breathing problems though due to their design. I am not trying to scare you of course, but this is what I have heard quite often. Hope he's doing okay mate!

That's why I'm worried about him. He's never had it before, and he's 5 now, which could mean he's getting on a bit since boxers are susceptible to the diseases you mentioned.

Thanks a lot for your compassion.
Quote by ss311
That's why I'm worried about him. He's never had it before, and he's 5 now, which could mean he's getting on a bit since boxers are susceptible to the diseases you mentioned.

Thanks a lot for your compassion.

Hey no problem - I know what it's like having pets you are really close to - literally part of the family!
My beagle puked today. I sent him outside to do it. Sounded like how you described it, kinda.
i would probably take him to the vet anyways just to make sure...
LEAFS FOR CUP
If he stops that and just breathes really heavily for a day or two then stops, take him to a vet ASAP and tell them something is wrong,It's what happened to my dog. The vet said it MIGHT be this or it MIGHT be that, he died a week later
Not to worry you or anything, I just thought I should let you know.
Well, he's been to the vet, and it turns out his heart is fine, and it's just a slight cough.

However, upon picking my brother up from his football match, my dad told him he'd put the dog down, and to stop crying over a dog. Needless to say, when my brother got home, my dog greeted him to his surprise.