I need help, my band wants me to backup vocals. They want me to do the screaming vocals. Ive never done these before, but they say i have the right voice for it, how do I go about doing this without killing my vocal chords?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Just get some training, there are lots of vocal (screaming type) teachers out there. Google would be a good place to start. You're smart to consider proper technique before diving into this as long term effects can be quite dramatic.
long term effects? like what could happen?
Oh and i probably can't afford a teacher, so any tips on what NOT to do if i attempt this?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

If you need to ask about it, you're not ready. Don't try it yet.
Get lessons, and work slowly up to the point where you're ready to scream.
If you don't and you rush it, you'll most likely end up destroying your vocal chords and needing surgery. It's not something you can learn in a week, so be prepared to work.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by firebreath07
If you need to ask about it, you're not ready. Don't try it yet.
Get lessons, and work slowly up to the point where you're ready to scream.
If you don't and you rush it, you'll most likely end up destroying your vocal chords and needing surgery. It's not something you can learn in a week, so be prepared to work.

hmmm.
Well the singing part will be hard, but what if i cant afford lessons?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It's not really that dangerous. Just stop when it hurts. Unless you're really happy with your singing voice currently. Then don't scream at all.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
^
I hope you were being sarcastic. You don't actually scream when you're "screaming." Anyway, there's a vocal tips thread that's stickied, but they don't give advice on screaming. They say that it's dangerous to give tips on this because if you don't do it right, you could possibly do permanent damage to your voice. And keep in mind that this is if you don't perform the technique correctly when trying it. This is even if you're not just all out screaming.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
You might want to try the singing thread. The sticky at the very top of the page that clearly says "the ONLY singing tips thread"
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
It's not really that dangerous. Just stop when it hurts. Unless you're really happy with your singing voice currently. Then don't scream at all.

Yea...

I screamed for a long time without pain..Never any problems.

Started screaming past the pain because I liked the hoarseness I got afterwards...And as i am typing this I am forced to be completely silent as I am recovering from surgery on my vocal cords I had Wednesday..

Be careful. Don't be stupid.
Quote by Archeo Avis
You might want to try the singing thread. The sticky at the very top of the page that clearly says "the ONLY singing tips thread"

^ is right, check the stickied thread. although i admit there isn't much in there on screaming. when screaming there should be NOOOOOO pain at all. if there is you're doing it wrong and should not continue like that. i scream the "wrong" way when recording (because i can generally do it in one or 2 takes) but i would NOT do it for gigs as it WILL damage yer vocal chords. also "screaming" when done properly isn't initially loud (until you get used to doing it right and can put a LOT of diaphragm behind it) in fact it may be quieter than your normal singing voice, especially if you sing with your diaphragm. you gotta work your way up to screaming (i actually learned how to do it the right way on accident one day while singing in the car, most people aren't this fortunate) again, one final time, FIND LESSONS FOR IT, DO NOT DO IT THE WRONG WAY AND RISK A SMALL FORTUNE IN MEDICAL BILLS!!!!

if you want help send me a message or check "the only singing tips thread"
^
They don't give advice on screaming there. I think it says in the first post not to ask for it because they won't help with it. Apparently, you can damage your voice when you try to do it right. That's what I've heard, but I don't sing -- or scream, for that matter -- so I'm not sure, but they pretty much avoid all screaming questions.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^ i question who says you can damage your voice while doing it the RIGHT way. phil anselmos been doing it since the birth of pantera and the only thing thats screwed up his voice is dope and alcohol, more alcohol than dope i would assume. i mean if i felt pain when i did screaming i could see how it might be damaging..... :-/ hmmmmm well nonetheless i will help him with the proper screaming technique if asked (again, totally pain free the way i do it, vocal chords are nice and loose and i feel like i could do it for days, as compared to the wrong way which hurts after a matter of seconds and makes me wanna stop and cough up blood and other nasty stuff)

edit: ah i see, you are right. it does say that. i would like to point out that he does say if you don't do it the right way you can screw up your voice. so i suggest a voice coach to the TS so he doesn't screw himself up. honestly i thought i was screaming wrong for the longest time (cuz when you hear it on albums it always sounds so loud) but i kept doing it cuz i liked how it sounded and then learned later that was the right way (as it was the only way to do it that didnt hurt!)
Last edited by z4twenny at Feb 15, 2008,
yeah i could use some help. :p

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well there you go. You know that there is a way of doing it without ****ing your voice up for the rest of your life, and that lessons would probably be a good idea. I think just so that your instructor can monitor and make absolutely sure that you've got it down properly. z4, I might wanna see how you're doing it

^ theres an 8-9 minute mp3 under my songs titled how to scream. i think its somewhat in depth and should be adequate for someone who already has good voice control to be able to grasp. you can hear my "screaming" technique in there. i was using a unidirection mic so the example in the middle of it where i say "singing from the diaphragm is alot louder than screaming" doesn't sound accurate when i compare the 2, but when done properly in real life its quite obvious.
^
Informative and hilarious! That'll hopefully clear anything up for people asking about screams.

Quote by Rebelw/outaCord

Don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Screaming is dangerous and if not done properly, you are going to damage your vocal cords really quick, and potentially... permanently.

If you can't afford lessons, then take the time to study on how the voice works, first and foremost, and then start getting into breathing exercises, etc. Learn how to sing! I don't know where you can learn to scream online, but don't try doing it if you aren't sure what to do. Even if it does feel okay, that doesn't mean you're not causing damage to your voice.

Screaming is like smoking, I suppose. At first it doesn't seem like it's all that bad, but in the long run it'll cause you a lot of problems, and may put you permanently out of action, too soon.

So be careful and try to get lessons... I know what it's like, I can't afford lessons either. But do what you can do while still protecting your voice.
FFS guys.

I wrote that bloody singing thread and I put NO SCREAMING QUESTIONS for a few reasons. The big one, YOU HAVE A HUGE CHANCE OF HURTING YOUR VOICE. Seriously, this is no joke. If you really want to scream, get a coach. You can so easily wreck your voice, so be so terribly careful.

Other reasons include...

1) you need someone to be there to give you all the help you need when trying it, not just some random people on the internet

2) i dont even know how to scream, neither do all the 13 year old kids in that thread, so what that means is unreliable information.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Mud Martian
Don't listen to this guy, he has no idea what he's talking about..

this much is true
Quote by Mud Martian

Screaming is dangerous and if not done properly, you are going to damage your vocal cords really quick, and potentially... permanently.

this is true to, but ONLY IF DONE WRONG. proper screaming will not hurt and can be done indefinately as long as you keep your cords nice and lubed up
Quote by Mud Martian

Screaming is like smoking, I suppose. At first it doesn't seem like it's all that bad, but in the long run it'll cause you a lot of problems, and may put you permanently out of action, too soon..

no, not true lol, smoking is bad for you and causes cancer and while cancer is brutal being hooked up to an oxygen machine isn't very metal at all (well actually its alot of metal, just not teh metalz) while screaming right is indefinately fine and will not cause cancer or empheseyma.
Z4, I just listened to your screaming thing, and I definitely approve of that. I will put it in the singing thread right away, and with that, I shall report all of these screaming threads.

*reported*

Thanks Z
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by z4twenny
^ sweet, glad to hear it got the approval!

Ya, now two questions. How can we get just that link onto a page, not your whole profile so that I can put in into my sig, and also, whats your msn addy?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
^ i emailed back the msn addy..... as for putting specifically putting it linked straight to that i couldn't really say.... lemme dink around with it and see if i can do it .

edit: i dinked around with it and couldn't find anyway to link straight to just that. the only other thing i could think of would be linking to dmusic and last i checked dmusic was still dead.
Last edited by z4twenny at Feb 15, 2008,
Ok, Ill try to link your profile, and ill leave a thread in site feedback to see what we can do. Btw, your addy isnt instant messaging or what?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
You're 14, don't do it. Your voice is hardly developed enough to risk singing high notes, let alone screaming. The vocal coah that the local music shop wouldn't let me start lessons until I was 15, for fear of permanently altering my voice.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Feb 15, 2008,
if you do it wrong you could kill your chords. You'll know if you do it wrong, as you will have a greater tendencey to get very dry throats and become sick more often then before. I have had lessons, but i started off when i got pissed because i stubbed my toe, then i was like whoa, i can growl, i can't scream, but for backgrounds growling should be just fine. well i shouldn't say i can't scream, its just strains me out a little so i don't do it much, but i find growling much easier and more satisfiying, just don't be stupid and if it hurts then growling is not for you. and for some odd reason when i dring a small swig of orange juice or a brown soda, like coke or dr pepper, it helps me a lot oh and so does powerade and gatorade.

don't kill yourself now.
@z4Twenny

Hmmm..... I was totally sure this would be 'yet another uninformed douchebag boasting about how ill his screams are and how satanic his growls are.'

Despite the fact that it goes against *any* conventional vocal techniques, and goes entirely against my own vocal technique, it was actually a very good audio tutorial. I really can't find any serious faults with it, which given the nature of the content, is saying a lot.

I was especially impressed with how seriously you took the 'don't wreck your voice' angle, and provided very clear methods for ensuring the least possible amount of strain.

Also, though I've never heard a professional do it up close, it has always been my suspicion that those really aggressive screams weren't nearly as loud or as aggressive as most of us like to believe they are. Your tutorial provided huge support for that supposition. It is too easy to be fooled by something as simple as "turn up the fader."

Another thing that wouldn't surprise me if they did it was adjusting the preamp gain on the mic so that it is just shy of clipping (analog clipping at the preamp, not digital clipping at all), so that when the screaming comes in, the added distortion from the preamp gain clipping would enhance it with good effect, though artificially.

Nicely done!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ looks like i even won over the skeptics. actually turning up the preamp gain is something i think slipknot does as i've tried and tried and tried to get the corey taylor screams and the only thing that comes close is when i run my vocals through a bullhorn type effect.
Me and My Drummer Are Screamers and i can easily say that to get it good and right...like jake from august burns red...its gonna take u at least 3 years. we've been screaming bout 3 times a week for 3 years.
^ didn't take me 3 years, took me about 2 or 3 months to build up good diaphragm power and control. i don't know how the guy from august burns red screams though and if done properly you should definately be able to do it more than 3 times a week.
Quote by Archeo Avis

*Closed*
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out