I currently have an Ibanez S540 HSS, and since I have my new amp now, a Mesa Mark IV, I was thinking of spending the cash I have saved up for a guitar. I don't want something that will do the exact same thing, since I think that would be stupid.

I was looking at some Stratocasters, and liked what I saw, but haven't gotten the chance to play any yet at my local GC. I was also looking at a used Washburn Dime 333 which is at the same GC, but haven't played that either... Hell, I was even looking at Razorbacks for a bit, but decided to not go with those.

I play a LOT of metal, but I also want something that will have more than just TEH BROOTALZ. I was some decent cleans. That's kind of why I was looking at strats.

My current budget is $570, but it will probably go up to about $1000 in April after I work for a bit. I can also get something like 10-20% off at GC thanks to this guy I know, so a $700 strat would probably end up costing me like $500-600.

EDIT: Also, a pickup change isn't something I'm afraid of. I'm more than willing to swap the pups out.
Last edited by ketiov at Feb 15, 2008,
Strats seem like a pretty good idea, maybe a Tele Custom (HH) which would give pretty good cleans and distort nicely too, don't know if it would be metal enough for you though. I'd say a fat strat, but you already have an HSS guitar.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
strats are meant for cleans, not metal. There are better guitars for metal that will do the job on cleans.
Would you be willing to buy a guitar mainly for cleans and use your Ibanez for harder stuff? That would probably restrain you less than looking for something with good cleans which won't sound like arse in front of, say, a Metalzone.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Let me rephrase. I don't need something to do extreme heavy distorted stuff. I have my Ibanez for that. I need something that just has a DIFFERENT sound than my Ibanez. There's no specific thing to define that different sound other than the fact that I need good cleans from it as well. I was looking at strats because they also have a single coil in the bridge which would sound a lot different than the humbucker in my Ibanez.

I have yet to try out any of these guitars, so when I go to GC I'll definitely check what a distorted strat sounds like. I've seen videos of pretty awesome sounds coming from them though.
I apologise for the stupid suggestion, maybe I blanked out for a moment?

Anyway, John-5 Tele seems a good call. Distorts really well, good cleans. Not too sure about cleans but you might want to look at the ESP guitars too.
Call me Callum