Poll: Shred on which guitar???
Poll Options
View poll results: Shred on which guitar???
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige (2008, 24fr).
30 53%
Ibanez S470DXQM (Korea)
4 7%
2008 Schecter Hellraiser
23 40%
Voters: 57.
So, this will be my first community outreach in these forums...

I used to own a Peavey Wolfgang, but I had to sell it. I am in to Vai, Satch, and metal. I play a lot of rock and need a floating trem (Floyd Rose or Ibanez Trem) and hot pickups. So, I have been looking at 3 guitars.

1. S series Prestige http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S2170SE

2. S series Korean Made http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S470DXQM

3. Schecter Hellraiser 2008 with coil tappin 81tw / 89 (b/n)

If I buy a korean made "S" I will be putting in Dimarzio p/u's with a wiring scheme close to what they're doing with the Herman Li models (with coil tapping). Other wise the other two would stay stock. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
But what do I know?!?!?!
Last edited by starscream57 at Feb 15, 2008,
Well ihave a schecter, and i love them, but i really don't think they are up to par eith the prestige, unless you want metal, them by all means go schecter
I recommend you count them frets on the 2170.

The 5470 is the one with 24 frets. Both the 2170 and 470 have 22 frets, and are Korean.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I think the Schecter is a bit nicer than the Ibanezes, but the downside, if it matters to you, is the neck. It's quite a bit less paper- thin and shredtastic than the Wizard, but that's a good thing, imo. I say, unless you need an uber- thin neck, go with the hellraiser.
Oops - thanks, Ibanez's website is a little misleading. According to Rich at ibanezrules.com the new prestiges for 08 were moved back to Japan because of complaints, but the new prestiges are made in Korea, then forget it...I will just buy a cheap Ibanez and do a full pro setup on it w/ new pickups and wiring. Or the schecter...
But what do I know?!?!?!
if your looking at getting it vheap go schecter they have low prices because their not as big a company (yet.) For pricw they are probabily one of the best out their and ive heard good things about agile
Does anyone actually own a Prestige S series from the last couple of years (or know anyone, and has played it)? I really like the swirl ebony top, but I also love the way the hellraisers play. Just wish the back of the neck wasn't painted.
But what do I know?!?!?!
Quote by starscream57
Oops - thanks, Ibanez's website is a little misleading. According to Rich at ibanezrules.com the new prestiges for 08 were moved back to Japan because of complaints, but the new prestiges are made in Korea, then forget it...I will just buy a cheap Ibanez and do a full pro setup on it w/ new pickups and wiring. Or the schecter...

S5470 - Made in Japan, 24 F, ZRII
S2170 - Made in Korea, 22 F, ZR

Both have the same MSRP though, so just go for the 5470.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
S5470 - Made in Japan, 24 F, ZRII
S2170 - Made in Korea, 22 F, ZR

Both have the same MSRP though, so just go for the 5470.

Okay, but whats up with pups on the S5470???
But what do I know?!?!?!
Quote by starscream57
Okay, but whats up with pups on the S5470???
I don't know, personally. They're new for Ibanez, and just over a month old in general, but I imagine they're not garbage at all, being in a highest tier model and all that.
Tust me when I say DO NOT get an S series. The parts in the trem are PLASTIC. I had to replace half the bridge with stainless steel parts. Go for the Schecter.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Tust me when I say DO NOT get an S series. The parts in the trem are PLASTIC. I had to replace half the bridge with stainless steel parts. Go for the Schecter.

This is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about the new S trem's. All the reviews I have read praise the trem and trash the pups.
But what do I know?!?!?!
The Hellraiser is MIK too, I think.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
This thread proves that Schecter fans don't just vote. They post.
But what do I know?!?!?!
Quote by starscream57
This thread proves that Schecter fans don't just vote. They post.
The Ibanez fans are busy playin' their guitars.

While I'm at it, the trem on the MIJ S series is a notable upgrade of the ZR which does away with the weak arm socket, and the ZPS harness is made of duralumin. The arm socket, in my opinion, is the only downside of the original ZR. I don't know where Mr. MetalMilitia212 got one that was half plastic, mine was definitely all metal as far as the bridge goes.
Psh, Ibanez forums.

And, go get it tiger! I mean, it's a no-brainer.
IBANEZ>EVERYTHING ELSE...EXCEPT ESP
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.