Page 1 of 2
Well i want to buy an Epi Les Paul. I think that the model will be custom. If someone explains me that Standard is wiser to buy then ill hear him. So what can you talk about them? What color should i pick? I thought white but it'll turn yellow over time which i don't like very much. And also: where to buy? I live in Europe. I'd like to order from thomann but its too expensive there. Thoman sells custom for 599 euros. But you can get a custom from woodbrass.com for 513 euros. But i don't know anything about woodbrass. Has anyone ordered from there?
Last edited by Hentsik at Mar 12, 2008,
hey henstik,

You are making a good choice buying and epiphone les paul. i personally think Alpine White is the best finish on Les Pauls, and don't worry about them turning yellow, it won't happen.

If you could tell me what country in europe you live in then I will find some websites for you.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Quote by Hentsik
Well i want to buy an Epi Les Paul. I think that the model will be custom. If someone explains me that Standard is wiser to buy then ill hear him. So what can you talk about them? What color should i pick? I thought white but it'll turn yellow over time which i don't like very much. And also: where to buy? I live in Europe. I'd like to order from thomann but its too expensive there. Thoman sells custom for 599 euros. But you can get a custom from woodbrass.com for 513 euros. But i don't know anything about woodbrass. Has anyone ordered from there?

some people will say get the black. the cheap lacquer means the colour from your clothes can soak into white after a while.

the main differences are cosmetic.

multiply body binding, neck binding, and scratchplate
ebony fretboard
block inlays
gold hardware

possibly pickups too.

theyre both nice instruments, though. cant go wrong really

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I think Epiphone Les Paul Customs feel and sound nicer, but thats just to me. I've seen GIBSON Les Paul Customs turn a nice creamy yellow color, but its because it was like from the 70's or 80's. (On Ebay, had soo many bidders).

I'd like a Custom, but I'm saving for a couple things that are more important.
Customs are the best epi les pauls i rekon

I have a black one and i think it looks pretty nice
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
I say go custom, you get what you pay for.... White turning yellow? Maybe after 20 years....

I have seen alpine white customs several years old, no yellow there. If you blow tobacco smoke on it all the time, then maybe.
I thought that all the Customs are made in Korea. Isn't it?

And i live in Estonia. Its between Latvia and Finland. MAybe you can find me some Web stores who send here?
Quote by mcrfobtai
^
the elitests are the best actually
The wood grade is higher on customs (I think) and the rest is cosmetic.
There are more differences than that. Hardware cast, pots, etc. Basically, in short, the Customs are generally all-round a step better than Standards.

as far as white guitars turning yellow, this will happen to an Epi, but it takes longer for it to happen with an Epi than it does with a Gibson. They use different types of finish, and the the Epi's last longer, won't fade/discolour so fast, etc.

And yes, get a Custom over a Standard or whatever. No question about it.
Thanks for ur supportive help. Im really into Custom now.

Colour. Well i still think about it. I should go to the shop and see them real life. I

Thanks for ur supportive help. Im really into Custom now.

Colour. Well i still think about it. I should go to the shop and see them real life. I guess that if i like this guitar sooo much then i will get the white. Its because that ill never sell it then and don't have to worry about the look. If i don't get into the guitar soo much then i'll get an ebony model. The ebony is still nice and i can sell it better when it looks good as new.

But now the problem is that i don't know where to order it...
Here, in local stores, its sold about 740 euros or 1050 dollars. That a little too much money. I am a teenager and i don't work so most of the money comes from my parents. As i told, i live in Europe.

- A pretty nice place to buy is Thomann.de. It costs 599 Euros there which is still too much for me. I thought that i can get it around 530 euros.
- Then i found another store called www.musik-produktiv.de. Again its a nice place to buy. I'd rather go for Thomann because it costs there 599 euros also.
- Then i found a third store. en.woodbrass.com. They sell Epi Les Paul Custom for 513 EUROS. The problem is that it seems too good to me. Has anybody ordered from there? If yes then i won't be thinking anymore about where to buy. I'd go and buy from woodbrass. Write ur opinions please what should i do..
Just for the record, Epi Customs don't have a maple top whereas the Standards do.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by SupremeACL
Just for the record, Epi Customs don't have a maple top whereas the Standards do.
Actually, Epi Customs do have a maple top now. And of course there is the Custom Plus which has always had a flame maple top added.

Quote by Hentsik
The ebony is still nice and i can sell it better when it looks good as new.
Probably not actually.

The Alpine White is a more popular finish, and so will sell quicker. Also, the Ebony (black) finish shows up greasy marks (finger prints, dust, etc) much more than any other finish does. If you want to buy a guitar to sell on later, then the Alpine White is most definitely the better choice.
Quote by bokuho
There are more differences than that. Hardware cast, pots, etc. Basically, in short, the Customs are generally all-round a step better than Standards.

as far as white guitars turning yellow, this will happen to an Epi, but it takes longer for it to happen with an Epi than it does with a Gibson. They use different types of finish, and the the Epi's last longer, won't fade/discolour so fast, etc.

And yes, get a Custom over a Standard or whatever. No question about it.

The Epiphone Standard is going to be a bit brighter sounding than the Custom. The Custom lacks the maple cap. The pickups are a little different too. Epiphones make pickups similar to the Gibson ones. The ones in the Les Paul Standard are apparently based on the '57s. Don't know what's in the Customs. About the White finish, I doubt it will fade on the Epiphones due to the Polyurethane finish. It's a lot thicker then the Nitro cellulose finish so yeah!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Okay guys. I am glad that there are so many helpers here.

I wonder why aren't there any guitar sound samples on the web? I looked for a while and i couldn't find anything. Well there are youtube videos, but its not the same.

And still there's the web store problem. Where could i get this desired guitar??
Last edited by Hentsik at Feb 18, 2008,
Try Playback-europe... They're based in France and generally cheaper than thomann.
Thank you very much hminh87. I saw there ebony model for 496 Euros which is very cheap. And The alpine white costs about 546 Euros. Does "inc. vat" means that all taxes and stuff are included in the price (i dont know how to say it in english but its 18% in Estonia) ?
Yes. VAT = value added tax.
I've been fairly pleased with my custom - and epi LPs are supposed to be very good guitars once the pickups are upgraded (don't worry too much about that though). Would probably be worth saving up for a bit and going for the elitist model - perhaps get a summer job if you can wait that long.
Have you seen the Ultra II? Slightly different beast with the chambered body and a 'NanoMag' pickup. Might be worth having a look at - €466 on Thomann.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Feb 18, 2008,
How did u decide that the hagstrom in better? I don't know about them but i think that epiphone makes more reliable guitars. Also i find that hagstrom ugly.
I just went through the shopping process and initially really wanted an Epi LP Custom, but ended up buying a Hagstrom Swede.

There is so much contradicting information about what makes an Epi Custom different from the Standard. As far as I know, the differences are purely cosmetic. The pickups are the same. The finish is different, the hardware is gold instead of chrome, but the pots, electronics, etc. are all the same. Also, they are all made in China, none of them are made in Korea any more. I think only the Elitist line are not made in China. I believe that the body of the guitar is mahogany/alder, not solid mahogany, and some of the Standards/Plus have a maple top. The Custom does not have a maple top and only comes in black. The Custom Plus has a maple top, but does not come in black or white.

The Hagstrom is less money, but everyone I talked to who knew both guitars unanimously say the Hagstrom Swede is better. The pickups are better, the fretboard is a very cool material they call "Resinator", the guitar is better balanced, it has a cutout in the back for more comfortable holding. The neck is slim and comfortable and lends itself to fast playing (they have a different kind of truss rod that allows them to make a thinner profile neck). It has another toggle switch they call a "tone filter" which I suppose could be turned into a coil tap. The finish is beautiful. It's also made in China.

Whether you like the look of it or not is subjective, but I think it looks good. It's a bit unique and different looking, as opposed to being just another LP copy. I've been playing mine for only a week so I can't give a full review of it yet, but so far I'm very happy I didn't buy the Epi LP Custom. Do a little homework on it before you decide.

--- D
Quote by Hentsik

i have a standard. i love it. it rocks...
Thank you please.
I love me BLACK Les Pauls... Also check into Agile at rondomusic.com
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Hmm. You really made me think about the Hagstroms. The Agile guitars looked nice too.
Tell me more about them if you can. Im going to do some searching about hagstroms.
Im still thinking about that:
Where the hell are Epiphone Les Paul Custom's made nowadays?

In other forum peaple sayd that Epiphones are made in China, Korea and Indonesia. One member sayd that Custom's are made in Korea.
Quote by Hentsik
Im still thinking about that:
Where the hell are Epiphone Les Paul Custom's made nowadays?

In other forum peaple sayd that Epiphones are made in China, Korea and Indonesia. One member sayd that Custom's are made in Korea.

They're made in China. Check the back of the headstock, it will say the country or you will be able to tell by the serial number.

--- D
This image has been taken from thomann.de. If you look closely it says: "made in korea". But maybe its just an old picture.
My guess is that it's an old picture. I know they used to be made in Korea but are currently made in China. I was going to buy one in January and it had a Made-in-China sticker on it.

If you can get a Korean-made one I think they are more highly regarded than the Chinese-made ones, as I have heard Epiphone has had some quality and consistency problems in their Chinese factories. But that could be all hearsay. Everyone seems to enjoy speaking badly about Chinese-made instruments for some reason.

--- D
I sent a letter to Gibson. I hope that they answer the mail and then we'll get the answer from the allmighty gibson.
From Wikipedia: The serial numbers of Epiphones are as follows:

Beginning with I, U, S, P, or R = Korea

Beginning with DW, EA, EE, MC, SJ, Z, or BW = China

The one in your picture starts with an I, so was built in the Saein factory in Korea. The next two numbers are 05, so I'm thinking it may have been manufactured in 2005?

--- D
Get an epiphone Les Paul Custom GX Dirty Fingers.

It's an Epi LP with a class finsih, craved top and gibson pickups. What more coudl you want. 309 quid on Thomann.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?
if u want to buy an epiphone i would go for the standard.
i hav a standard and its just as gd as the custom that my friend has.
plus the gold hardware on the custom wares away eventually
Why should the gold hardware should wore off?

I first thought about the GX model. What are the differences besides colour and pickups and inlay's?
I've just bought an Epi LP custom in ebony for £150. Black LP = seriously sexy. you should definitely get one
Quote by Xx Andy xX

the custom looks much better. and most people would say sounds better. only cheap ass' who can;t afford the custom say the standard is just as good
Quote by Xx Andy xX
Only if you're both playing through equally poor amps that reduce all tone to nothing anyway.

Well all gold hardware does this, unless it's actually solid gold or thick plated. You can treat it with certain things though (and of course take care of it generally), and it won't rub down anywhere near as quickly.
Page 1 of 2