Do these types of pickups interfere with the tone of the guitar? Or, to state it in a different manner: stomp boxes that don't have true bypass come between the guitar and the amp. Passive pickups obviously do not, from what I have read and from my experience (they are, after all, the source of the signal). Active pickups: do they interfere with tone?

Thanks for your patience. I'm not an engineer and as I said in a prior post have no experience with active pickups. I'm looking hard at EMG's for my Schecter C-1 Plus. I'll be running them through a Peavey Classic 30 or potentially a Mesa F-30.
active pickups sound....verymuch like active pickups so....yes?

and why the hell would you run active pickups through the Classic 30?
Well, that's a really good point. I suppose that is why I am asking the question. I'm pretty sure I need a pickup upgrade on this guitar based upon my own ear and also what I read. Your point is well taken with regards to the actives in this case.
Quote by nonjonron
Well, that's a really good point. I suppose that is why I am asking the question. I'm pretty sure I need a pickup upgrade on this guitar based upon my own ear and also what I read. Your point is well taken with regards to the actives in this case.

are you asking about pickups having true bypass or something?
Im not understanding the question...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I'm changing my pickups because the ones that come stock on the C-1 plus are rather dark and muddy. This is a common criticism of this guitar. That said, the guitar body itself is fine.

I suppose my question about pickup bypass is confusing. Truly it must all come down to the ear. But with regards to active pickups, do people tend to play a pickup such as the EMG 81 through an amp with the gain turned up, or more through a clean channel? Is the pickup acting kind of like a stomp box in terms of added distortion?
they just have a fair amount of output, not a bultin overdrvie or anything
if you put it through a very clean amp it'll be clean

and the people who play them mainly used big fullout distortion mesa boogies or loud cranked to 11 marshalls
No, active pickups are the source of the guitar signal the same as passive ones. They do however, increase the output (volume) of the signal, which can cause more distortion in a tube amp. Other than better quality materials/wiring, they make very little difference tonally on a solid state amp.
Quote by nonjonron
I'm changing my pickups because the ones that come stock on the C-1 plus are rather dark and muddy. This is a common criticism of this guitar. That said, the guitar body itself is fine.

I suppose my question about pickup bypass is confusing. Truly it must all come down to the ear. But with regards to active pickups, do people tend to play a pickup such as the EMG 81 through an amp with the gain turned up, or more through a clean channel? Is the pickup acting kind of like a stomp box in terms of added distortion?

basically, an active pickup is like have a signal boost. The more signal, the more youre pushing tubes.
A lot of people say they are sterile sounding. The only way i'd get EMGs is if i only played metal, as they are not good for cleans, at all.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by nonjonron

EMGs are commonly used with tons of gain, yea. When they are used with cleans, its typically the EMG 60 or 85.

What kind of music do you play? We could recommend as set of passives that would suit you better if metal isn't your thing.
That's a great question with regards to the music that I play and like. The problem is that my range is very broad. I like metallica, Rush, Zep, Dream Theater (alot). I also like Jazz and additionally spend alot of time on a Martin custom accoustic.

Metal is cool. That really is the issue with me. Depending upon my mood I can go alot of little ways. If I had my choice, I'd go with a set of pickups that gave me some flexibility but also got me some metal if I needed it.

There are so many pickups out there. That is the problem I'm having. I've heard good things about EMG actives, pearly gates and someone said PRS dragons are good too. Thanks.