So every time I play my D I hear this buzzing sound from down at the bottom of the string. Any Ideas of what it might be, or how to fix it?
Yeah... I think it might be like a spring or something but I tried everything with the spring and nothing helped
I had that problem with my A string, but it just went away after a bit. I'd just wait a bit, see if gets any better. I don't know what it is really.
you probably just have a crappy bridge. check the saddle to make sure the string is in the groove all the way.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
if the string isn't out of the groove, then you could have the action set way too low. Adjust the saddles a bit see if it helps
ok, first try raising the action a bit. If it still buzzes and/or the action is too high for your tastes, you have too little neck relief. Loosen the truss rod by 1/8-1/4 of a turn depending on the severity of the buzzing (if the buzzing goes away with just a little higher action, 1/8 may be all it needs). Some people caution against adjusting the truss rod yourself, but if you're careful and make small adjustments in the right direction you'll be fine. My bass came with way too much tension on truss rod, and had buzzing issues like you're talking about. Loosened it a bit and its better now.

note: it may take a couple days for the adjustments to settle in completely, so adjust it, and wait for a couple days before adjusting it again. Also, to check the relief, fret the first fret on the E string and where the neck meets the body (anywhere from the 15th to the 21st fret depending on the bass) and measure the gap between the string on the 7, 8, or 9th fret (the center of the two fretted points - whichever that happens to be). Should be around .010" on the fret. Personally I use a feeler gauge for this, but if you dont have one, fold a dollar bill in half, and use the crease as a guage. A nice, tight crease will be just about right. US dollar that is. Dont know if the thickness is the same for other dollars (i.e. Canadian). Hope this helps.
live to jam and jam to live
Last edited by 4 string man at Feb 16, 2008,
I recently had a Bass brought to my workshop; the problem was fret buzz on two strings.
Looking from the bridge everything looked fine ie strings in height and neck contour balance with the others.
The problem was with the last place people usualy look; the nut, two of the grooves were cut too deep, to test this pack up the strings, if this cures the problem as in this case it did then you must replace the nut, raising the strings (bridge saddles) or altering the neck relief is not the correct way if the nut is the problem.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I've got a problem with my gstring.

On my pbass. I imagine I'll get it setup properly sometime.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by 4 string man
: it may take a couple days for the adjustments to settle in completely

There is a way of settling it in right away but it is only for experienced techs.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn