i believe this is the right thread forum so here goes. i need to know what key Heartbreaker by Led Zeppelin is in cause i can't play the written solo and would like to try my hand at improvising one. thanks in advance for your help.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
technicalities. there are other keys that would work to solo over it too. i believe e major pentatonic would work too. am i right?
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
No. It is in A minor pentatonic. If you play "another scale" that works, it's just the same scale in a different place.
Quote by CowboyUp
No. It is in A minor pentatonic. If you play "another scale" that works, it's just the same scale in a different place.

ok, i'm still working on learning guitar theory so yeah. anybody have a good internet site to help learn theory?
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
but that whole solo sound like Am, so I'd stick with that. You could take it other places if you wanted, but apparently your theory is lacking, so stick with Am pentatonic
Quote by The4thHorsemen
but that whole solo sound like Am, so I'd stick with that. You could take it other places if you wanted, but apparently your theory is lacking, so stick with Am pentatonic

yes i know my theory is lacking. that is why i came to this forum. it's better than being one of those people who think they know theory and just spout off random stuff, in my opinion. i do know some theory but not a lot of guitar related stuff. and back to my last question, are there any good, free, sites that teach theory?
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
This site. Just look around. There are links posted fucking everywhere. Actually, if you were paying attention, you would have noticed the Music Theory FAQ guide on your way in.
Quote by Avedas
This site. Just look around. There are links posted fucking everywhere. Actually, if you were paying attention, you would have noticed the Music Theory FAQ guide on your way in.

actually, i saw that right after my last post. anyway, thanks for the help people.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
The most important thing you can come to realize when it comes to scales is that they are NOT NOT NOT box shapes, they are sets of notes that can be played on any part of the guitar, on any instrument, in any way imaginable.
Quote by CowboyUp
The most important thing you can come to realize when it comes to scales is that they are NOT NOT NOT box shapes, they are sets of notes that can be played on any part of the guitar, on any instrument, in any way imaginable.

wow, that was deep. you could be like a music philosopher or something. and thanks for the input.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by CowboyUp

The solo where it's just guitar and no band is Am pentatonic/blues.

When the rest of the band comes in, the tonality changes back and forth from Am pentatonic to A major pentatonic. That's something that many blues/rock guitarists do.
Quote by Philbigtime
The solo where it's just guitar and no band is Am pentatonic/blues.

When the rest of the band comes in, the tonality changes back and forth from Am pentatonic to A major pentatonic. That's something that many blues/rock guitarists do.

He's not changing key, he's just inserting major thirds and seconds occasionally. You don't have to change keys to use accidentals.
Quote by CowboyUp
He's not changing key, he's just inserting major thirds and seconds occasionally. You don't have to change keys to use accidentals.

Is true. However that major third makes it easily mistakable if you're not paying attention.
Quote by CowboyUp

Quote by Avedas
Is true. However that major third makes it easily mistakable if you're not paying attention.

ya, that's basically what i was thinking of. this probably isn't a good idea but...what if i was to transpose something and do an improvised trumpet solo over it?
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by ortrigger
ya, that's basically what i was thinking of. this probably isn't a good idea but...what if i was to transpose something and do an improvised trumpet solo over it?

It wouldn't make a difference. Notes are notes no matter what instrument you play them on.
Quote by CowboyUp
It wouldn't make a difference. Notes are notes no matter what instrument you play them on.

ya, but you have to take the tamber into account also. a trumpet would be really, really, different than the rest of the song. wow, i think i'm turning into a tone snob.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Quote by ortrigger
ya, but you have to take the tamber into account also. a trumpet would be really, really, different than the rest of the song. wow, i think i'm turning into a tone snob.

Of course it would sound different. That's the whole point of multiple instruments. However, you would play the exact same notes that you would if you were playing on a guitar, or a bass, or a saxophone, or a clarinet, or a tuba, or a xylophone, or any other instrument, though perhaps in different styles that are better suited to the instruments.