Well, Long & McQuade was having a blow out sale today, I bought my first guitar PRS SE EG S/S/H (reg price. $530) for $300 and Traynor YCV40 used (reg price. $770) for $400. Now that was a quiet a deal, having gone to the store at 11 a.m (L&M opens at 10 a.m) there was only 1 out of 5 PRS EG's left which I luckly got and people were striving to buy the amp I just picked up. I rented new guitars and amps before I bought this one, most of them solid state amps, an Ibanez guitar and Standard Strat, both times, I was unimpressed with the sound quality but I figured all tube amp of $700 would definetely make a lot of difference. However, when I got home and plugged in the amp and guitar to play, I did notice the warm tone change and slightly cleaner sound, however I could not make out the "solo" warm tone that I desired. It still sounded like an acoustic guitar on speaker with a bit of distortion just like all the other solid state amps I have tried. I've tried playing with the settings for hours refering to the tone setting thread here at this forum but I couldn't find any tone that resembled the classic solo tone. (Even with gain all the way up at 10) I don't know what I am doing wrong, have I not played with the settings enough? Or is this Traynor amp not capable of producing the warm solo tone I want? Or perhaps the PRS SE EG (S/S/H) doesn't have the pickups good enough?

When I mean by "solo" tone I mean like one of those tones where sustainability is high and you could practically describe the guitar as "screaming". What I hear from my Traynor at the moment sounds very "dull" and short. It seems as though it doesn't have enough "electric" guitar feeling to it.

One thing that kinda bugged me was that the PRS EG I bought had the bridge pickup (humbucker) was very flat, the other two single coil pickups were solid and it poped out from the pickguard however, the humbucker pickup was as flat as the pickguard and quiet lose when i shook the guitar, however, I didn't think that mattered so I bought the guitar anyways.

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here, I'm really new to all guitars and amps so I apologize for basic knowledge.
I can return the guitar and amp in 30 days to something else.

If anyone could provide some suggestions and answers I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
Last edited by ovvyiljs at Feb 15, 2008,
Well, you can raise the bridge pickup... There should be a screw on both sides of it, turn those and they should adjust the height of the pickup.
Turn the master volume on your amp UP.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
raising the pckup should give you a warmer sound
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by soul_power
Turn the master volume on your amp UP.

Yeah, tube amps sound best when cranked - solid states sound not so good cranked.
tube amps sound better turned up louder
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
have you changed to the overdrive channel (if there is one)
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
how long have you been playing?don't forget that the tone also comes from your fingers and maybe you should improve your vibrato and bends because it certainly makes you sound better.

when i was starting i always complained about the tone if my amp and guitar but when my guitar teacher played it with the same exact settings,it sounded a lot better,
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
It's also possible that your strings are dead and gone to string heaven.
not be a dick.....but it seems like your gear is not the problem.
Your stuff is fine....how long have you been playing?

I hope you dont expect to play better by buying better gear. Me thinks you are talking about an distortion pedal when talking about your "screaming-electric guitar sounds"......try one.
Also, by the way you write, it is obv. that you are a noob, in many ways.
You have more than a decent set up now....and its time to practice.....alot.

I have always thought those PRS SE models are pieces of ****.....and from what who described about pickups popping out?.....sounds right to me. Maybe I read your post wrong....is English your 2nd language?
Last edited by richgray5 at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by richgray5
not be a dick.....but it seems like your gear is not the problem.
Your stuff is fine....how long have you been playing?

I hope you dont expect to play better by buying better gear.
Also, by the way you write, it is obv. that you are a noob, in many ways.
You have more than a decent set up now....and its time to practice.....alot.

I hate to say it, but I agree. I think you went way over kill. You won't be able to tell the difference between that and a Squier and an MG at your level.
Quote by CJRocker
I hate to say it, but I agree. I think you went way over kill. You won't be able to tell the difference between that and a Squier and an MG at your level.

seriously, I wish that was MY 1st set up.

I didnt buy a tube amp until like 4 years ago.....after playing for at least 15 years.

THat Traynor amp SHOULD sound very clean and acoustic.....
1. Make sure that you're on the gain channel (I don't know about that particular amp but I'm assuming it's two-channel)

2. Make sure that the volume on your guitar is turned up lol. It seems simple, but people have taken their amps apart trying to find out why it was so quiet, when they simply forgot to turn the volume up. Simple fixes before complicated ones.
I bought the same guitar today, and I don't know what you mean. The guitar's a beast, it'll handle pretty much anything, it defietly has what's needed, it's probably the amp.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Like others have said try raising the height of your humbucker and turning your amp up.

You could also get a overdrive pedal to get more distortion. A ibanez TS9 or Maxon 0d-9 would be good choices. From what I've heard that traynor isn't exactly a high gain amp.

You could also try changing your pickups. Seymour duncans or dimarzios would be good choices.

Its not your gear, I wish I had that gear when i started out. Hell, I wouldn't mind having that guitar or amp right now, although they aren't quite my style.