Okay, so if i use the power chords with root notes on: lowE: 12(E), 15(G), 17(A) Astring: 17(D), how would i go about assigning this a key signature? Are all power chords minor?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Feb 15, 2008,
well their power chords so their not minor...and im not sure what you mean by key signature because thats only used for standard notation (at least to my knowledge). if you mean what key is it in i believe those are all part of a Cmajor?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
power chords are neither minor or major chords, they're just intervals because they have only a root and a 5th. I'd say that that's in e minor because all the notes fit in E minor, including the 5ths.
Actually it could be either E minor or E phrygian (which has the same notes as C major).
E5 = E, B
G5 = G, D
A5 = A, E
D5 = D, G

(didnt spend much time working out that but i think thats right)

first off: usually the key signiture will be the first chord played, so its likely going to be some kind of mode of E

now, E Major is:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E F# G# A B C# D#

so we need to flatten the G and D

1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
E F# G A B C# D

^ E minor like the guy said about.
Your progression could be in Em, G, C, Am, D or Bm although C major and B minor would be hard to argue since theres no C or Bm chords. Em is the most likely candidate.

Are all power chords minor?

Power chords are neither major nor minor.

now, E Major is:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E F# G# A B C# D#

so we need to flatten the G and D

1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
E F# G A B C# D

^ E minor like the guy said about.

You seem to have forgotten that the natural minor scale has a b6. The Em scale is E F# G A B C D E.

D5 = D, G

A is actually the 5th of D.
Last edited by tom183 at Feb 16, 2008,